Why is my damper still sticky?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Hey, whenever I make damper I can never get it so the dough can be handled without sticking to my fingers.

This is the recipe:

1 cup flour
1/2 cup milk powder
1/2 tsp baking powder
Pinch salt
Powdered egg replacement
Sugar to taste

I then add water untill it seems ready but It always seems really dry then when I add in more water it just goes sticky again.

Are there any faults in the recipe or is it just me? :eek:
Asa.

aarya

Oct 5, 2006
Norway
My guess would be that the water you add last, just to moisten it a little bit more, doesn`t work its way into the dough, but instead lubricates the outsides, making it sticky. It could also be that the dough has enough water even before you add the last bit, but you just need to incorporate everything a bit more. Never made damper, but kneading is always a must for almost any type of baking.
Try adding more water in the beginning, or knead the dough more, after adding the last bit.
(Or keep a little flour back, to add to the dough if it becomes sticky.)

Hope it helps!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
It sounds like you're just adding a bit too much water at the end Asa, alternatively mix it in a plastic bag then just flip it out into your pan.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
What I've been doing is mixing it in a bowl with a spoon then just pouring it out.

Thanks a lot for the replies, I'll have another go and try not to use so much water. :D

durulz

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 9, 2008
Elsewhere
It sounds like you're just adding a bit too much water at the end Asa, alternatively mix it in a plastic bag then just flip it out into your pan.

Yup, this is what we do - premix it and keep it in a plastic bag then plop it out into the pan. Damper, like all cake/bread mixes, is sticky and sticks to your hands like *** to fur.

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Well I tried making it again, but again added a bit too much water (Took barely any at all) but mixed in more flour and it went more like dough should.

Tried cooking it in my military trangia with some butter instead of boil but it ended up being too thick to cook through so I sliced it in half and cooked it using quite a low flame using the simmer ring and it cooked through with enough meths left to do the other half as well.

Cooked really nicely and I drizzled some (a lot) of honey on top and SWMBO said it was good too.

Thanks for the help :D And it seems you can cook them on the military trangia, just make sure it's no thicker than 1.5"

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
Well I tried making it again, but again added a bit too much water (Took barely any at all) but mixed in more flour and it went more like dough should.

Tried cooking it in my military trangia with some butter instead of boil but it ended up being too thick to cook through so I sliced it in half and cooked it using quite a low flame using the simmer ring and it cooked through with enough meths left to do the other half as well.

Cooked really nicely and I drizzled some (a lot) of honey on top and SWMBO said it was good too.

Thanks for the help :D And it seems you can cook them on the military trangia, just make sure it's no thicker than 1.5"

I find the best way, when using a trangia is to fry some bacon on the lid/frying pan. then cook the damper in the bacon fat. It cooks really well and bacon fat doesn't burn like butter would, and you have the bacon to eat with the damper

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
That's a good idea, doesn't look like it would be possible to fry more than one rasher at a time though :p

I found if I had the heat on full then it would burn the damper but if I put the simmer ring on really low it was fine (and the butter didn't burn)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE