Why fly fishing only?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
So that they can charge a fortune and use it as a feeble excuse to try and ban paddlers!!! .

I'd agree with you actually. The guys I go FF with know I go paddling. [They take the mick out of my wide brimmed canoeing hat]
Majority of anglers dislike canoeists, but its never bothered me a jot as my anarchistic side doesnt see it a dispute between the two. :)
Rather its all about the corrupt history of Land Ownership in our country: And how those in charge divide and conquer.
http://bashstreetkidjailbreak.wordp...and-ownership-the-root-of-corrupt-capitalism/

For me the perfect trip would be a week or so fly fishing and canoeing in unspoilt Scandinavia
Paddling down a river for a day at a nice idle pace. Then Camping overnight. Then the next day, walking back upstream, a mile or so, with the fly rod. Then eating your catch that night, and repeating that. :)

[video=youtube;7XxGhs2DMFI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XxGhs2DMFI&context=C3 dda6d9ADOEgsToPDskKxdAglOJbw-VPAZWc8zLON[/video]

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
i think that fisheries management is a crapshoot, but generaly it reflects the desires of the most vocal constituency. unfortunately money is often louder than words.

i used to fish a freestone creek in a national forest in colorado. miles of unhindered access. developers secured building leases and easements and closed access to a great deal of the flow.

one of the good things about the u.s. is the lack of history. we don't normally have to contend with centuries of embedded privilege, though money can trump "rights".

the other thing to consider is perpective. i live in a state that is bigger than your main island and has less than two mlllion people contending for access to its resources.your population is 50-60 million for the same acreage, isn't it?

however within an hours drive i can fish close to hundred state and federal waters and a couple hundred miles of river.

a park manager in wyoming told me that the calculus involved the number of fish compared to the number of anglers. the angler value was calculated by method of angling and subsequent fish mortalty. bait fishing was the worst primarily because bait fishermen are meat fishermen. lure fishing was next and flyfishing was least. i have no idea if any of that is true but it was their operating assumption at the time.

my personal opinion is fly anglers tend to have more disposable income as a demographic and destination angling attracts them and their disposable income. so they come and the regulating bodies make a lot of people happy.

i'm just a poor white trash flyfisherman but i say carry the gear that will get you on the water you want to fish and have fun doing it.

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
Fly fishing was invented to make it easier to catch fish, same as all fishing methods. Fish feeding on small fly's in clear water will refuse other offerings.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
Fly fishing was invented to make it easier to catch fish, same as all fishing methods. Fish feeding on small fly's in clear water will refuse other offerings.

how i wish that was true.

fishing a creek in minnesota using flies my son outfished me three to one using marshmallows and spincasting gear.

fishing a river in colorado he did the same thing using niblets brand corn and a bobber.

i'd always hoped of turning him towards the light but he grew up to be a confirmed baitfisherman. kids!

JoshS

Nov 16, 2010
Outside
I don't know about Minnesota or marshmallows, but I have found spinning for trout useless when the water is clear, and the sun is shining, fly will work.
I have never tried marshmallows though!
The biggest wild brown trout I ever caught had its stomach stuffed full of bread. It was caught in a river running through a town.

320ccc

Jan 25, 2012
USA
but I have found spinning for trout useless when the water is clear, and the sun is shining

have you tried switching to gold or copper blades or even dropping a size when it's bright. i don't fish with gear very often but that seems to work for me.

the bread thing is amazing isn't it. the coolest "game" fish eating carp bait. i like to use flies for carp and a couple of tiers i've read tie deerhair or foam breadcrumb patterns.

the most organic pattern i've used is a mulberry-like wooly worm. when the fishing is tough you can dip the fly in fruit drink and the scent/flavor will make even shy carp quite aggressive.

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
i'm just a poor white trash flyfisherman but i say carry the gear that will get you on the water you want to fish and have fun doing it.

Ha ha, that was my approach to fly fishing growing up in Canada! I was taught to frown on bait fishing unless ice fishing in winter. Of course it's a different kettle of erm, fish over here in the UK. I don't know any fly fishers here personally, not even spin casters. Just bait fisherman!

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
the bread thing is amazing isn't it. the coolest "game" fish eating carp bait. i like to use flies for carp and a couple of tiers i've read tie deerhair or foam breadcrumb patterns.

I have a spun marabou 'pattern' which makes a good breadflake simulator - works well for mullet as it has nice 'flocculence' as a friend once called it. I've taken carp and rudd on it too.

Last edited:

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Adam, i'd be very interested to see a piccy of that pattern mate.
Gimme a few and I'll see if I can find one to photograph. There's nothing to tying it... white silk and a size 14 sproat, bind on some white turkey marabou and spin it up into a rope, take the thread up to the eye then wind the marabou rope in the opposite direction, bind the marabou rope at the eye, form a neat head, whip finish and varnish. Either brush up the marabou to make it a little more fluffy or allow the fish to do it for you. Back with a pic if I can find one to photograph.

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
Ok - found one... but only one.

Several shots of same:

IMAG1440.jpg

IMAG1441.jpg

IMAG1442.jpg

IMAG1444.jpg

IMAG1445.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE