Why do so many people use a Tarp/Hammock setup instead of a normal Tent/Sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Snip>I'm sure I could continue but basically what I'm getting at is that you're not going to get a definitive answer to this one.
The people who use tarps and hammocks do so because they like them.
The people who use other set-ups do so because they like them.<Snip

Like with so many other things here that is a pretty good summary.

For me it's all about not shutting yourself off from your surroundings - the nature, the fire etc. I've never liked enclosed tents - waking up to stale air and condensation. I can understand the likes of mountaineers wanting to shelter/ sleep in a tent in adverse weather - especially when being out at night is a neccesary evil to achieving the main goal (eg climbing the mountain). But if you want to camp out for it's own sake then why shut it all out in a tent? To me that's like creating a less comfortable bedroom away from your house. <Snip>

As for Mr Mears...I've learned a lot of good stuff from him but the first time I slept out in a hammock was on a jungle survival course in Belize over 20 years ago. Like others have said here - I take top tips wherever I find them - be it acknowledged experts like Ray Mears or a newbie poster on this forum.

That just about sums up my attitude as well.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
for myself as a rule I'd say: (which may contradict some of my previous post)

I'd use a hammock the warm half of the year, tarp the other.
mainly because cold is all about insulation and getting out of the wind rain in a hammock you are generally more exposed.
also in strong winds in a hammock you do get blown around a bit, my first ever night in a hammock was in febuary a few years back it snowed, rained and was very windy, (yes I was warm and dry) the hammock did move around a fair bit and the trees were moving which made the hammock lines creak (not avery settling sound!) some water did get under the tarp onto me (in a Hennessey). IMHO.

Tarps... you can do all sorts with these lean-to next to a wall, a tent shape, I've made some very cosy shelters with a tarp, that would not have worked with a hammock.
also the whole tarp thing does seem lighter and less fuss. IMHO

hammocks are also very comfortable....

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I'd imagine that you can actually position your hammock quite high up between trees given you can still get in it! That would give you uber stealth!.......

Not so much when you get out for a pee in the night and forget it's high up though. All stealth and dignity will go within seconds.

Tetley

Apr 21, 2008
Bremetannacum Vetenorum
I still cant get used to the idea of sleeping suspended in a tree under a tarp , I prefer under the basha 18 inches off the ground , preferably in shell scrape , with my helmet and boots on :lmao:

ScotsSurvival

Oct 12, 2010
Scotland
I would like to try a tarp but we have a tent so we can bring the kids along (there both under 4). The whole tent tarp thing I think should just come down to personal prefereance.

If people are going out camping it seems more important to me that they enjoy the experiance and if being in a tent or tarp helps that I say jog on and have fun.

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
well im a ground man my self, but, i have never tried a hammock so cant say i dont like it, so i have made 1 for £2 just to try, Jan on the Brockwell meet 8th 9th Jan......hope my foam mat and 3/4 inflateable mate do me proud for insulation............

alan whelan

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 5, 2010
Cork Ireland
I use a tarp, bivi,hammock,thermarest and one of 5 sleeping bags depending on the temp I use this setup all year round. I put the tarp up first this keeps you out of the wind and rain/snow while you finish your set up I put the thermarest into the bivi first than the sleeping bag and this goes on top of the hammock if its windy one side of the tarp is lowered I open the sleeping bag and bivi almost all the way down the bivi has a center zip so I have the bag zip in the same position this allows me to sit in the center of the hammock rotate and I'm good to go. You can use rectangular bags in the bivi and twist and turn all night if you like, with this setup I've never been cold even in the snow.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
ive bought many things on a whim but luckily i havent felt the need to get a hammock. I like the ground be it in a tent, laavu or a basha and bivi bag. If i want to see my surroundings i just leave the door or windows open or raise the basha but more often than not its slashing down and the basha is close to the ground... Most of the pics of hammocks i have seen on here have the tarp covering the view anyway? I think they are a heavier option also as mentioned by others my tent is 1.9kg. A tent also offers some privacy if needed but i guess its personal choice i like the ground i like the earth beneath me and i like to pitch late.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
I use both. I was always a ground dweller and very much a hammock sceptic until I climbed into a mates hammock. Since then I've got a DD Frontline hammock and find it really comfy. I do still use the tent though. I tend to vary which setup I take depending on where I'm going. I do a lot of backpacking in the mountains where there are no trees so a tent is still really important to me.
I use a thermarest for bottom insulation for either set up so weight wise the hammock plus tarp vs tent there isn't much in it, the hammock and tarp may be a touch lighter but not enough to make any difference.

Asbo

Aug 30, 2010
Fareham, Hampshire, UK
by sleeping of the ground then you will be warmer as the heat isnt being convected away from you so you stay warmer and there is lots of different ways of setting up your tarp to suit your needs

J4C3

Forager
Apr 11, 2010
Derbyshire
Try it and see,its just another way of doing things ,some will suit it others not,im much happier in a hammock

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
i thought tarp & bivi bag was good until me and my cousin donnie went camping in a pine forest across from ben nevis a cpl of days a go.it was my first time using a dd hammock and it was amazing...they are so comfy its unreal i am looking for a better way to rig it up...maybe with omega rappel rings..thats me hooked on hammocks now!! i will use it every time i go out...cheers Allan

jacko1066

Native
May 22, 2011
march, cambs
Hammocks seem very interesting to me, if you use a down sleeping bag do you have any problems with a ddamp bag in the morning? also would I be right in thinking some of you guys put a foam matt or thermalite in the hammock to or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

My main concern with being, shall we say a more 'robust' gentleman that it would take my weight ok!!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE