Why do so many people use a Tarp/Hammock setup instead of a normal Tent/Sleeping bag?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hammocks seem very interesting to me, if you use a down sleeping bag do you have any problems with a ddamp bag in the morning? also would I be right in thinking some of you guys put a foam matt or thermalite in the hammock to or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

My main concern with being, shall we say a more 'robust' gentleman that it would take my weight ok!!

You won't get a damp bag unless you use a waterproof fabric for the hammock, any moisture should pass straight through and evaporate.

You can use a mat inside a hammock but they do like to work themselves out during the night, an underblanket is a better option for me. especially in the colder months.

There are plenty of hammocks out there which will take a big chap, Warbonnets 1.7oz double layer Blackbird will comfortably take 28 stone

Redwall

Tenderfoot
Apr 12, 2011
Bristol
Not so much when you get out for a pee in the night and forget it's high up though. All stealth and dignity will go within seconds.

You mean you haven't mastered taking a waz out the side yet?

Hammocks seem very interesting to me, if you use a down sleeping bag do you have any problems with a ddamp bag in the morning? also would I be right in thinking some of you guys put a foam matt or thermalite in the hammock to or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

My main concern with being, shall we say a more 'robust' gentleman that it would take my weight ok!!

I'm 110kg approx and my DD Frontline hammock holds me no problems.

This thread is one of those glorious forums threads where plenty of people have strong opinions and there's not much point chipping in as it's all been said, some more politely than others.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE