Why bother to save the world when you can recall its fall?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Kadushu

If Carlsberg made grumpy people...
Jul 29, 2014
Kent
Civilisation, in the sense of an organisation of humans above a tribal level, is quite an expensive business. Do not believe that it's simply a culture or mindset, it is dependent on material wealth.

Reactions: Macaroon and TeeDee

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Civilisation, in the sense of an organisation of humans above a tribal level, is quite an expensive business. Do not believe that it's simply a culture or mindset, it is dependent on material wealth.

Interesting comment - would you mind expanding on that please.

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Possibly referring to city civilizations and base cost to maintain it. However does civilization have to mean the big cities or ancient and modern times? Is that just looking at civilization through our modern eyes? If you only define civilization by the big, expensive constructions I think you miss a lot of what civilisation is. Why is civilization above a tribal level?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
Well, because the word civilisation has it's root in the Latin word civitas meaning city :)

It is historically accepted, and I see no reason to change it, that it refers to large urban communities that use poorer rural populations to provide food and other produce.

The idea that 'civilisation' is spread across a country's population has never, and will never be true; there are always groups that benefit more from civilisation than others.

Erbswurst

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Civilisation is just a bad and unnecessary Roman idea. Totally outdated.

Let's turn back to our own roots!

:campfire::camping::campfire:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
Civilisation is just a bad and unnecessary Roman idea. Totally outdated.

Let's turn back to our own roots!

:campfire::camping::campfire:
I kind of like the sentiment but but but here it just takes an inordinate amount of fire wood to keep oneself warm overnight in the winter. :beaver:

I think the first known tightly build areas are found in present day Turkey, next ones in the Indus valley? The archaeologists here can correct me.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Nonsense!
You just need to keep the animals in the house. Or simply live in a Kota.

The Anatolian cowards were just too gutless to counter the enemy in the open field with the axe in the hand.
That's why they invented the town wall.

But the Romans created the whole civilisation - bullshit and even did spread out it everywhere.

Last edited:

TLM

Nov 16, 2019
Vantaa, Finland
You just need to keep the animals in the house.
That is historically a questionable tactic in hard conditions, the vikings in Greenland did not survive and at one time the Icelanders were hard pressed.

Or simply live in a Kota.
That would be easier and probably successful but I hate to think how far the kota field would extend if all the people in Helsinki would move into kotas. Kota is anyway a temporary structure a peat kammi would be the next more permanent dwelling.

:D

Reactions: Erbswurst

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Finland would look approximately like a German boy scout camp.
It's nothing wrong with it.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE