Why are bushcraft knives, and survival knives so different?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Swallow

Native
May 27, 2011
London
I'm currently in the process of designing a couple of "Survival knives". In my research, one thing that strikes me is the difference between what is considered a survival knife and what is considered a bushcraft knife.

Now, why would they be so different? They both need to fulfil the role of providing you with your needs in a "away from civilisation" setting.... to me a Bushcraft knife is optimised for all that it needs to do, in such a setting. They are optimised for working with wood, the material of choice for construction in the wilderness..... they are easy to sharpen...... they are plenty strong enough....... more than capable of butchering animals if needs be....

So why so different to a survival knife? Bushys are designed for living in the wilderness with.... "living in" (bushcraft) is more long term than "passing through" ( survival).....

Is it only the mentality of the practitioners? I can't see it being anything else..unless the thought is a TEOTWAWKI scenario.

Thoughts guys?

Fashion Answer

Survival Knifes are modelled on the Rambo knife, which is an airman's survival knife. And is designied for cutting your way out of an aeroplane. Gets Major movie bonus points for looking badass.

There's a story circulating on the internet that Ray started out with one of these, but it was almost as big as he was and he never felt quite right saying "Don't push me".

(possible) Practical Answer

Bushcraft knives are for constant long term use over many many tasks.
Survival knives are for short term use and may not be used before a "survival" situation occurs.

Once application of the above is that is why a lot of survival knives are stainless (no care storage) and bushcraft knives are carbon (better maintenance and long term use.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Really? Someone better tell all the Falkniven F1 owners that their knife is a fantasy then -

I'd bet a rather large sum of money that most owners of "survival" knives aren't pilots for the Swedish Air Force, or even pilots at all.
I'd also bet that Swedish Air Force pilots are issued with F1's rather than purchase them, so unless Mark wants to go through the qualification process and intends to compete directly with Fallkniven that's not really a relevant example.

Ideally it'd be better to think up likely survival type scenarios and work to how a knife design would help.

Realistically though i'm struggling to think of a non violent, realistic scenario where a knife would be the difference between survival and death in the UK or Europe.
Only ones i can think of involve RTA's and seat belts or divers and fishing nets, any sharp edge would help in either of those scenarios.

TeeDee

Nov 6, 2008
Exeter
Would tend to disagree there chaps, the most common and ideal accepted length for a bushie style knife (we all know the one) is c. 4" blade length.?

Really ? , Where is that written please.
:)
YMMV

Does the extra 1" of blade length really turn it from a bushcraft knife into a hard use survival knife?

Doesn't that work both ways?

I think HillBill and I were agreeing upon that it should be some 9" bladed competition chopper.

But I'm happy to see HillBill run with the idea and produce something. Can't be bothered to discuss any more as everyone will have a varying opinion. Which is fine!

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
Just been shown this knife - http://www.punisherknife.com/specialed.html

My immediate reaction was "what the hell is the point in that?" followed by *HOW MUCH*?!?!?

I can't actually work out what, if anything this would be useful for... Admittedly the price is largely due to it being a movie tie in. But still. Why does it have a choile type thing in the middle of the spine between the saw bit and the rest of the blade? Why is it so big? why? why? why?

Sorry, had to share when I saw it.

J

Regarding the questions on price and usefulness:
1) The price has more to do with the signature; it's a collector's item
2) it's useful as just that, a collector's item, and from looking at it, it appears to at least be solidly built (which is more than most movie knives I can think of)

Regarding the question of why it's so big: Well, it's big. Bigger than any real need; but not really freakishly so. I have a bowie at near 9 inches that gets a fair amount of use (and no, I don't chop with it)

Last edited:

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
The *real* answer is that survival knives are for helping you survive teh zombie apocalypse and bushcraft knives are for turning sticks into piles of shavings.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
The *real* answer is that survival knives are for helping you survive teh zombie apocalypse and bushcraft knives are for turning sticks into piles of shavings.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

english-idioms-hit-the-nail-on-the-head.jpg

Silverback 1

Native
Jun 27, 2009
WEST YORKSHIRE
Really ? , Where is that written please.
:)
YMMV

Doesn't that work both ways?

I think HillBill and I were agreeing upon that it should be some 9" bladed competition chopper.

But I'm happy to see HillBill run with the idea and produce something. Can't be bothered to discuss any more as everyone will have a varying opinion. Which is fine!

Did i say that it was written anywhere, or on tablets of stone, that everyone practising bushcraft should have a 4" blade with a scandi-grind a la Woodlore?
But it is of my opinion, that that is what springs to most peoples mind, thanks to a certain Mr.Mears, who popularised bushcraft in the UK, when talking of a bushcraft knife.
I was merely trying to point out that there would be nothing much gained to write home about, either in weight, ergo cutting power, versatility or user benefit by adding 1" the the blade length.

Do you mean shouldn't 'be some 9" bladed competition chopper'?

I am also happy to see Mark produce his first 'survival knife' and looking forward to it a great deal, he knows more about these things than either of us, and i'm sure it will be superb.

And as you so quite rightly say, everyone will have varying opinions and different ideas, and i was just adding to the discussion.

Last edited:

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
I wish people would call them Utility knives instead of survival knives!
The term "survival knife" has been associated with the Rambo style knife for over 30 years, i dont agree with the "movie prop"quote as Randall knives were making the model 18 long before Sly Stallone excaped from Hope's sheriffs department with his prop stuffed in his trousers! this argument is getting very old!
I collect "survival knives" and occasionally I'll take one out for a play in the woods but swap one for a 4" bushy or fallky in an outdoor environment? Not a chance!
I eat , sleep and @#!* bushcraft and knives I've made roughly 150 , owned probably 200 and spent a fortune over the years, now I can't remember the point I was going to make.......

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
I'd bet a rather large sum of money that most owners of "survival" knives aren't pilots for the Swedish Air Force, or even pilots at all.
I'd also bet that Swedish Air Force pilots are issued with F1's rather than purchase them, so unless Mark wants to go through the qualification process and intends to compete directly with Fallkniven that's not really a relevant example.

Ideally it'd be better to think up likely survival type scenarios and work to how a knife design would help.

Realistically though i'm struggling to think of a non violent, realistic scenario where a knife would be the difference between survival and death in the UK or Europe.
Only ones i can think of involve RTA's and seat belts or divers and fishing nets, any sharp edge would help in either of those scenarios.

Funny though, the ordinary squaddies gets a green mora or (as I was issued with) a plastic red handled mora. Which I rate higher than the F1 anyway.

I've heard rumours that the F1 isn't actually issued in the survival kits of the planes any more.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Funny though, the ordinary squaddies gets a green mora or (as I was issued with) a plastic red handled mora. Which I rate higher than the F1 anyway.

I've heard rumours that the F1 isn't actually issued in the survival kits of the planes any more.

I guess that makes a mora a survival knife - so the stuff of movies and fantasy ;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE