Why an axe and a fixed blade knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spaniel man

Native
Apr 28, 2007
Somerset
Actually my little khukuri throws pretty well, and I hate billhooks, the pointy bit is in the wrong place, always seems to get in the way. :)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I've never used a bill hook so I really can't comment on how good they are (or aren't) Closest thing I've tried is a Kaiser Blade (rather like a billhook with a 4 foot handle)

31tvPeyqrUL._SX425_.jpg

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Condor kukri has arrived and first impressions are generally very positive. It's a bit lighter than I wanted, but the sheath and handle are far better than anything else for the same money. The blade seems well shaped and just needs some work to get it razor sharp. Will let you know how I get on with it...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tagaeri

Jan 20, 2014
West Cornwall
Billhooks are a really useful tool when coppicing, but for other jobs I think there's more suited tools.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Haggis

Nomad
I think one grows accustomed to using a tool, what ever its form. Loggers for the most part traded their felling and bucking axes for saws when proper felling and bucking saws came along. Billhooks, machetes, and similar tools have for centuries filled a niche, but they've never replaced axes. Saws have in many cases replaced axes, but yet, the axe clings very tightly to the hand of the woodsman, and vice versa.

MrFrido

Jul 5, 2013
Reggio Emilia Italy
Actually, everything can be thrown, and stuck in a log if it has a point. The billhook simply isn't the best tool for this job, because no farmer or woodsman ever thought of throwing it, it's intended use was clearing the trail, coppicing, felling small trees and other field related activities. A disadvantage of the billhook over the hawk or light hatchet, could be that having a wider cutting area the billhook needs a sheath to be brought around.

As for throwing weapons, it's sad that no one ever thinks of the javelin, they were used by armies all over the world for millennia, and I think they are very cool.
Happy easter everyone.

Last edited:

NikDarkwood

Sep 2, 2009
Hampshire
The broken Kukri in the picture is a stainless steel Miltec Kukri. For some unacountable reason the stainless steel is welded to a carbon steel tang at the point of failure. The stainless steel is soft and coated with some sort of black paint.
The Cold steel kukri MACHETE on the other hand is almost indestructable.
Cold steel has some trully dreadfull advertising and some rather questionable products but the crude, badly ground, rough handled, rubbish sheathed Kukri Machete is a trully outstanding versatile piece of kit. It weighs a pound chops hard wood, fillets fish, cuts up old tyres and after a bit of work with our powered wetstone my wife can shave her legs with it.
Joking aside it really is a jack of all trade and a master of a suprising number. If I could only take one tool to a desert island this would be it.

tamoko

Jun 28, 2009
Zuerich
bushcraftru.com
kukri is just chopping tool, but axe is carpenter tool.
Try to make small bot or log cabin with kukri, you can see limitation. For survival situation maybe kukri is good choice, but in bushcraft if you interested build something from wood i think axe is first choice.

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I think Red has it about right, use the best tool for the enviroment your in.

Thats why i think the knife/Axe combo is popular in the uk, you mostly find hard rigid stuff to chop.

But that said if you want to use a parang then thats fine too

Bladeophile

Tenderfoot
Jul 23, 2013
Basingstoke UK
I used to use a larger knife most of the time but have discovered the joys of the long handled tomahawk complete with nasty steel spike that could well scare the public a lot more than an axe. Seriously though, it will effortlessly fell small trees. Then slip off the head and use it to carve a sewing needle. It's that versatile (provided its razor sharp). Add to that a Mora HD and you could chop/cut most things and still have change from $100.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE