Why am I carrying...........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Never fear, for most in this country never stray more than 100m from the nearest car park...

Funnily enough, in late teens I made my own survival tin, out of basic items that wouldn't 'keep me alive on the run' but are the little things that come in handy, and are all in the same place so can be easily found. Over the years things changed around in there, but a few weeks back when going to Dartmoor with a friend for the first time (with him, that is) I got it out and we went through it. Amazingly, some of the original stuff was still in there, but so much had been used and replaced over the years. It is mainly a mini first aid kit along with water treatment, fire lighting and that sort of thing, but carried more as a compact back up in case the main article goes wrong. I even use bits of it in the home, like medication, when stuff on the shelves run out. So it's more of a 'survive the day' kit for me. However, in this country, there are very few places that can truly be called wild, especially in the South. Further afield, things get a little different, and in some harsher environments, a back up kit, tailor made for the situation could certainly prove useful when it all goes pear shaped. I do trust that these off the shelf kits do include instrucions on basic survival aimed at the novices who buy them? All the cool kit in the world is useless if you don't know how to use them, or practice...

Someone mentioned about the fact that some of us, myself included, look like SAS wannabes when out in the wilds. Don't know, but could it be, like you say, that we want to blend in with the environment instead of stand out in our bright designer outdoor clothing from the high street like the RA? I've always preferred military kit as it is functional and cheapish. I also track and stalk wildlife to watch it, and greens and DPM certainly help in this respect! Whenever i go out, I make every effort to ensure that nobody knows I've been there, purely for the reason that I don't want to spoil the countryside for anyone else or the animals that live in it. Whenever i can drag my girlfriend away from the West End and into the West Country, she always misses the wild life that I spot. Although this could be not because of the clothing, but more because she is too worried about stepping in something and too busy looking at her feet to notice anything around her!

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Wayland said:
The Vikings had an attitude which roughly translates as “It’s better to be lucky than rich.” and I think this could be said just as much about equipment as money.

...and should be combined with the adage about wise men making their own luck :D

I always carry:

FAK - usual suspects PLUS an eye bath from an Optrex bottle
Tin with:
Sewing kit including a 12" bit of velcro (yes, both halves :rolleyes: ) and some cable ties (biker sewing :cool: )
Fire kit - waterproof matches, clipper lighter, firesteel, birchbark
String, penknife, compass in pockets (plus marbles, conkers, spider in a matchbox, Dennis the Menace badge &c)

Even when at work in the orifice, 'cos then I'll have them when I need them.

The velcro keeps getting pinched for routing cables, though :eek:

Car's allus full of tat, stoves, tools and fishing rods anyhow...

Jim.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
So I think we agree that the personal survival kit is a toy best left out of the hands of the "wilderness challenged" so that leaves three end user types.

The first is use by military/aviation/marine types who may well find themselves in extreme circumstances.

Second we have the slightly paranoid, survivalist types who believe that at any moment they may be catapulted into a “First blood” / ”Deliverance” scenario and only have the well prepared contents of their pockets to sustain them.

And thirdly:
crofter said:
I agree with everything that Gary says but still have to admit that thinking about and making survival kits is just great fun.
I do believe I would have to place myself firmly in this category. On a rainy afternoon, when the wilderness seems far away, it is good fun to see just what can be fitted into a tin on the possibility that it might just come in useful someday.

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
JimH said:
...and should be combined with the adage about wise men making their own luck :D

I always carry:

FAK - usual suspects PLUS an eye bath from an Optrex bottle
Tin with:
Sewing kit including a 12" bit of velcro (yes, both halves :rolleyes: ) and some cable ties (biker sewing :cool: )
Fire kit - waterproof matches, clipper lighter, firesteel, birchbark
String, penknife, compass in pockets (plus marbles, conkers, spider in a matchbox, Dennis the Menace badge &c)

Even when at work in the orifice, 'cos then I'll have them when I need them.

The velcro keeps getting pinched for routing cables, though :eek:

Car's allus full of tat, stoves, tools and fishing rods anyhow...

Jim.

I think you have my pockets and car! :eek:
Except one time it was a fag packet of glow worms, it seemed a good idea at the time, but as it was till in my pocket next morning it was a pack full of mush :(

Spacemonkey

Native
May 8, 2005
Llamaville.
www.jasperfforde.com
Wayland said:
And thirdly:

I do believe I would have to place myself firmly in this category. On a rainy afternoon, when the wilderness seems far away, it is good fun to see just what can be fitted into a tin on the possibility that it might just come in useful someday.

Exactly! Perfect for the Rainy Sunday Armchair Expedition...

Let's face it-the only time anyone with any experience would actually need a kit like this is when you wouldn't have it-like a plane crash for example, or as I use it for-as a backup for when the main kit fails.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
IMHO, Altoids Tin style kits are good fun but mostly a waste of time and a weirdly big lump to carry in your pocket! Saddest thing is you have got all this really juicy gear in your tin and you will probably never use it!! Nato Brass Button Compasses, mini firelighting steels, sharp scalpel blades, fishing kit!!! As in a kit within a kit within a kit!!!! Oh My God! This is military E & E Gear in a civilian bushcraft format. My "survival kit / gear" is stuff I use every time I go bush, I know it all intimately. My "possibles" are not strange little critters sealed up in a crypt like tin. Bushcrafters should as much as possible become as one with their natural environment (pardon the cliche) and the few very important tools they need to live within this environment should be an integrated extension of themselves and not a last ditch life support type hand grenade for dire "emergencies".

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
If we swapped the word "survival tin" for "possible's tin" would that change anyones view ? My thinking being that most have a possible's pouch, which i suppose could be survived on in extremis, so a possible's tin would be a scaled down version of the pouch. Purely in the spirit of inquiry you understand.. :)

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
The difference is you dip your hand in your pouch or bag and pull out the appropriate tool! With the tin you fish it out your pocket, peel off the tape, may be unroll the paracord as well, lever off the lid and then have 40 bits of anally minute kit explode forth in to your lap!!! :) You then fish out your scalpel blade to skin your caribou or fill your condom with creek water and away you go!!! Afterwards you gotta pack it all back in the tin, seal it up, pocket it and move on!!! :rolleyes: :) Oetzi really did have the right idea!!! :D

Jan 15, 2005
wantage
But if you didn't have 400 items squished in to the density of a black hole -then it could almost be useful - if limited to purely useful items only say. You know the kind a thing, spare puritabs, small folder, firelighting gear, and it could be easily opened. But then that's what a few have already said.

I'll get my coat... :D

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
AUSSIE said:
Bushcrafters should as much as possible become as one with their natural environment (pardon the cliche)

The assumption is that people only go into the bush to do bushcraft which is just sheer bullcrap.

Danzo

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 8, 2004
Close to Sherwood
I've always enjoyed making up Altoid tin PSKs, really just for the fun of it, but I have adapted one as an 'urban Altoid tin' or UAT ( :rolleyes: ) which I carry in an inside jacket pocket. Most of the 'survival' stuff has been replaced with useful bits and pieces for every day requirements, like a sewing kit, safety pins, antiseptic wipes and plasters, a roll of bandage, ibuprofen and antihistamines, etc. I've left the PSK Lifeboat matches in there as I figure they might come in handy. The whole thing is topped off with a Swisscard which I like knowing is there in case I forget my SAK.

This UAT complements the other stuff I carry like the aforementioned SAK, a small torch (Nuwai QIII) and Spyderco UK Penknife, or a lockknife if I have a good reason to carry it.

Unlike my traditional PSKs I reckon I use stuff from the kit every week, both for myself and for others. It's amazing the number of female students who need a plaster because their new stilettos are chafing their ankle!

:D

Danzo

Andy

Native
Dec 31, 2003
sheffield
www.freewebs.com
Danzo said:
It's amazing the number of female students who need a plaster because their new stilettos are chafing their ankle!

Danzo
That's how I get talking to girls :rolleyes:

I never went in for carrying a tin as such but I do carry a few first aid basics (gloves, face mask and tap) in my pocket anlong with a penknife. I hate having a lot of things in one place though so it's spread about in my combat trousers.
It seems the difference between the possible pouch/possible items and a survival kit is that we don't mind extra space which means we can pack them away a lot better

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Danzo said:
.........and it is of course kept in the left hand inside jacket pocket. In case of snipers.

;)

Danzo
Along with your Book of Common Prayer or Bible no doubt.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Hoodoo wrote:-

"The assumption is that people only go into the bush to do bushcraft which is just sheer bullcrap"

Yes Hoodoo but I'm not sure what you mean because my comments re Altoids type kits are not directed at all outdoors people but in the context of bushcrafters, this being a bushcraft forum and all! If you do note I am specifically referring to bushcrafters in my posts.

zackerty

Nomad
Dec 16, 2004
Christchurch...New Zealand
Whilst I have at least 12 PSK's of varying desciptions and needs, I always have a Swisstool, SAK, Cig lighter, 550 cord (10metres), Arc LSH torch and spare cells, with me...driving, in the office, at home at night, in the bush.

If I am travelling long distance ( longer than 100kms, don't laugh) I carry my belt kit, with a body bag, plastic tubing, more cord, a tin/two tins of salmon, more sharps, more torches and cells, fire lighters, water, and sundry goodies.

I once went to visit someone, who forgot the appointment...I was 120kms from civilisation, and I thought they might be a little late, so I stayed. The tin of salmon, the water, a handcarved teak spoon, and a couple of peppermints filled in the time...
I returned home annoyed, but my belly was satisfied. :)
I usually replace the water every two weeks, and the salmon every 6 months.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
AUSSIE said:
IMHO, Altoids Tin style kits are good fun but mostly a waste of time and a weirdly big lump to carry in your pocket! Saddest thing is you have got all this really juicy gear in your tin and you will probably never use it!! Nato Brass Button Compasses, mini firelighting steels, sharp scalpel blades, fishing kit!!! As in a kit within a kit within a kit!!!! Oh My God! This is military E & E Gear in a civilian bushcraft format. My "survival kit / gear" is stuff I use every time I go bush, I know it all intimately. My "possibles" are not strange little critters sealed up in a crypt like tin. Bushcrafters should as much as possible become as one with their natural environment (pardon the cliche) and the few very important tools they need to live within this environment should be an integrated extension of themselves and not a last ditch life support type hand grenade for dire "emergencies".

GOOD words mate, a psk and a possibles pouch are two different things as has been said earlier in the thread. The bushcraft only the ill trained/adivsed would look to a psk Ithats not a tin with all there odds and sods in it but a taped and seal survival kit I am talking about)
While a possibles pouch contains items used daily but that without which life in the bush isnt possible (hence the name) or at least easy. An added bonis of such a pouch over a psk is that in using it daily to learn to use it fully - a sealed tins contents only come to light in an emergency when fine motor skills could be hampered and as such unfamiliarity can be a greater danger than you'd believe.
As for Hoodoo's comments about people going bush - of course they dont, many people live and work in the bush all the time (lets remembers most city dwellers only dabble in the wilderness) but I bet you hardly any of them carry a PSK because most dress for the correct enviroment and carry the tools they know how to use correctly - their every day kit is their survival kit.

AUSSIE

Tenderfoot
Feb 11, 2004
Thanks Gary!!
Spent your early days in Epping Forest eh mate??? Tell me have you ever been to Loughton and had a pint in The Gunmakers Arms??? It's just around the corner from Epping Forest!!!

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
AUSSIE said:
Thanks Gary!!
Spent your early days in Epping Forest eh mate??? Tell me have you ever been to Loughton and had a pint in The Gunmakers Arms??? It's just around the corner from Epping Forest!!!

I've never been the Loughton and had a pint in the gunmakers - or the royal oak! ;)

I've had several!!!

Viking

Settler
Oct 1, 2003
Sweden
www.nordicbushcraft.com
When are peoplesupposed to use these survival kits?

If there is a plane crash I am probably not alone there will be lots of bagages to go throught to find what I need. Most planecrashes happens when the plane takes off or go in for lanfing.
When hiking, you loose your rucksack and that will only mean that you have made something really stupid to lose it. If I get lost or need to spen a night out I will have the things I need in my rucksack or otherwise my knife is always on me so is a firesteel, whistle, tinder poch and some sweets. Civilisation is normally never far away and if doing an expedition far away from civilisation I will carry the necessary equpment to be able to contact rescue.

Preparation is probably the best survival kit you can carry.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE