Why am I carrying...........

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Not Bob

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2004
Gary said:
Now were getting on to possibles bags and pouches Bob!!

But a possibles bag/pouch is more like a working survival kit in as much as the items in it are used daily and yet are always there is needed

As I said maybe a bit off topic though I agree with your point of possibles pouch as a working survival kit.

Gary

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wayland said:
I noticed just the other day that I'm still in the habit of rearranging my pockets and pack to not rattle. It just becomes second nature after a while, even when there's no-one else to hear it.

Aint that the truth - I still wrap stuff in old towels and such before packing them in my billy and other metallic containers - still personaly I find my field craft is still as good as it ever was and all the little 'habits' I brought from the army can only be for the best!

Aug 4, 2003
Hatfield, Herts
Gary said:
Aint that the truth - I still wrap stuff in old towels and such before packing them in my billy and other metallic containers - still personaly I find my field craft is still as good as it ever was and all the little 'habits' I brought from the army can only be for the best!

You ain't the only 1 mate. Whilst I was only a cadet (I wanted to join but a buggered knee meant I'd fail the bft) I still do the same. The less noise we make, the more we see. Unlike the noisy (both sound and colour) rabble we all meet who don't see a blind thing.

Fieldcraft also helps in the trapping and hunting and tracking side of our hobby, as we have a better understanding.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Always pack kit to eradicate the rattle. Give it 5 or 10 minutes of Tink-tink-tink-tink and you will be going mad!! It will spoil your outing, so always stop it before it starts!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
It’s interesting that our pursuit of nature and wilderness apparently harks back so much to a warrior culture.

We learn many techniques and habits from our brothers in arms. Our equipment often bears the marks and looks of the quartermasters stores, and even our maps and positioning systems were created primarily for the military.

I step out into the wild most often as a landscape photographer and I wear natural colours so that any other photographer like myself, viewing a landscape with me in it, would not have to wait half an hour for a bright orange anorak to move out of frame. At least that is what I try to tell myself.

How true is that I wonder? I do not hunt or photograph wildlife so I am normally unconcerned with quarry, indeed many creatures do not even have the same colour perception as humans, motion is the usual give away.

In the wilderness, high visibility clothing would be the wise choice but I choose to blend with my surroundings. The truth is, I suspect, that I would simply be uncomfortable sticking out, like a sore thumb, in bright colours.
Old habits perhaps?

We often strive to separate ourselves from the “wanabe SAS” types so that we may be taken seriously and not considered a threat by the public, but often our appearance, equipment and language convey exactly that impression.

Why is this I wonder?

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I don't have an emergency kit as such... my bushcrafting seems to be a series of small emergencies. I have a small pouch for items I use when i'm not in an emergency state... it contains cigars.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
A proper PSK is merely a last ditch backup in extremis if a normal kit or survival supplies are lost through misfortune, ie your plane crashes in a lake and you swim out with only the clothes on your back. At least that was the standard Hollywood script before Bart the Bear ambled in on cue, growled at Brad Pitt, Anthony Hopkins or Darryl Hanna and earned his human's kids another semester at Uni :D I carry mine in the oft chance I wind up in a unplanned situation and my dedicated kit is at home in the closet. As such, the tools and supplies are of neccessity smaller. The button compass really was a button in WW2 RAF uniforms for concealment. The accuracy is actually more than adequate for rough navigation. Some of the items seem more forlorn hope than usefull. I always figured if I can keep a tin secured in a pocket a quality folder can be there too. This business of razorblades seems usefull only if suicide becomes an option :eek: and the tiny candies, soup cubes and single teabags seem to be the condemned man's last supper after finding the desert holds no fish for the vial holding hooks, weights and leaders. There is a viable customer base for PSKs though. Those gently bewildered souls who blunder off the asphalt expecting nature to be a halcyon park with soda machines and clearly marked exits. These people are not going to have a woodlore knife, firesteel or even proper clothing. So, a kit they can slip, or have slipped into a pocket with clear instructions and the essentials to keep them alive and (hopefully) found quickly are valid.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Chris those people who venture into the wilds looking at a theme park are probably better off not making it out again!

Remember natures old adage - survival of the fittest,

that doesnt just mean he who can run 10 miles! Maybe we modern humans should change it for such occasions and say,

Survival of the un-thickest!

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wayland to problem there is cost!

The MK4 individual survival kit issued to RAF and special forces guys is available commercially - but it isnt cheap because it has a better quality of gear in it.

While the combat survival tin is more readily available and cheaper - in a 'it'll never happen to me' world people go for the cheaper option.

ChrisKavanaugh

Need to contact Admin...
O.K. A shameless plug for the ETS kit being marketed. If you pop over to our website www.equippedtosurvive.org Doug has written an extensive review of every commercial kit that is,or has been on the market. Doug recently was involved as advisor for an ETS promoted basic kit by Aeromedix. Keeping the extremely basic items to top standards while meeting a marketable sales cost AND making a profit was the hardest part. Many of my example's items quickly found their way into my B.C.B. tin and Doug's instructions are superb compared to many I've read ( if included.) The first reaction from our forum was a list of gear that should have been included, and which would have destroyed the target price. The instructions do encourage people to add to the basic unit itself. Tony has expressed an interest in marketing the kit through BCUK.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Yes a good kit for a real survival situation Chris but the kit I was thinking of was aimed more at the inexperienced walker/hiker type that gets in over his/her head because they are either stupid or not the bushcraft/survival type.

The danger is that these people buy kits like this and then think they are equipped to survive in the wilderness without the gear that will really keep them alive for the first 48 hours it may take a rescue team to find them.

How about a vacuum packed mylar coated “space blanket” bag, big enough to climb into if they are stupid enough not to be carrying their own poly survival bag. If they do have a poly bag it will give them even more insulation.

A whistle is a must of course and the heliograph good too but what about an LED strobe light with a battery capable of running it for about 48 hours (4 nights use)

Your observation about packing matches or a lighter are good for shipping but in the absence of these, instructions should include packing the kit with a butane lighter as this is simple enough for any fool to use.

Possibly the most important addition would be a pad of pre printed route cards and instructions on how to use them. This would mean somebody would know they were missing or overdue and where they are supposed to be. This would be packed outside the kit but inside the kit should be some simple instructions about what to do and what not to do while waiting for rescue.

Water purification tablets may be of limited use but they may just convince someone that it is safe to drink some water long enough to keep them alive. They can always be properly treated when they are found. Lets face it, in most cases if they are not found within 3-4 days most of these people will be dead anyway.

A few other items such as fuel blocks could be included as space allows.

Marketing such a kit in the high street camping shops might just save the lives of such people who die regularly not just from lack of bushcraft skills and equipment but also from gross stupidity and ignorance.

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wayland said:
Yes a good kit for a real survival situation Chris but the kit I was thinking of was aimed more at the inexperienced walker/hiker type that gets in over his/her head because they are either stupid or not the bushcraft/survival type.

The danger is that these people buy kits like this and then think they are equipped to survive in the wilderness without the gear that will really keep them alive for the first 48 hours it may take a rescue team to find them.

How about a vacuum packed mylar coated “space blanket” bag, big enough to climb into if they are stupid enough not to be carrying their own poly survival bag. If they do have a poly bag it will give them even more insulation.

A whistle is a must of course and the heliograph good too but what about an LED strobe light with a battery capable of running it for about 48 hours (4 nights use)

Your observation about packing matches or a lighter are good for shipping but in the absence of these, instructions should include packing the kit with a butane lighter as this is simple enough for any fool to use.

Possibly the most important addition would be a pad of pre printed route cards and instructions on how to use them. This would mean somebody would know they were missing or overdue and where they are supposed to be. This would be packed outside the kit but inside the kit should be some simple instructions about what to do and what not to do while waiting for rescue.

Water purification tablets may be of limited use but they may just convince someone that it is safe to drink some water long enough to keep them alive. They can always be properly treated when they are found. Lets face it, in most cases if they are not found within 3-4 days most of these people will be dead anyway.

A few other items such as fuel blocks could be included as space allows.

Marketing such a kit in the high street camping shops might just save the lives of such people who die regularly not just from lack of bushcraft skills and equipment but also from gross stupidity and ignorance.

you mean something like this?

aircrew.jpg
[/IMG]

Wayland

Hárbarðr
The MK4 kit is another good kit for the well informed in an extreme situation but it goes far beyond the requirements of our "gently bewildered souls" hence the cost.

My first actions before giving such a kit to such wilderness challenged individuals would be to remove all sharp items that they could harm themselves with and replace all the firelighting stuff except the tablets with a disposable lighter.

I suppose the one advantage with the flint and steel over a lighter is that since they would have little chance of using them properly at least they wouldn’t need to rescued out of the middle of a forest fire. :rolleyes:

Gary

Apr 17, 2003
from Essex
Wayland said:
The MK4 kit is another good kit for the well informed in an extreme situation but it goes far beyond the requirements of our "gently bewildered souls" hence the cost.

My first actions before giving such a kit to such wilderness challenged individuals would be to remove all sharp items that they could harm themselves with and replace all the firelighting stuff except the tablets with a disposable lighter.

I suppose the one advantage with the flint and steel over a lighter is that since they would have little chance of using them properly at least they wouldn’t need to rescued out of the middle of a forest fire. :rolleyes:

Take away the sharps eh! Well people like that have no business going into the wilds - or if they do them leave em in their and let em at least prove useful as a meal for some beasty or another cos they'd be a waste of rations in the real world.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE