Who's had a good day today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have.

I've had one of the most chilled out, laid back days that I can remember in years.

Sorry no fotos as I don't have a camera.

Woke up very early to blazing sunshine and Treacle my dog "telling" me he can hear the chickens in the back garden blethering and needs to go out and "check" on them.

I'd earmarked today as the day to tidy the flat, mow the grass, do the dishes - you singlies all know that kind of day. One of them you dread but know it's needing done - in case relatives arrive and think you've either been burgled or are a slob, or both.

My brain must have been on autopilot as the daysack was packed even before the morning coffee had revived me and I'd headed for the shower.

Kangaroo dog on his leash (he does that when he knows where we're going), pack and sunblock on we bimbled West along the shore at South Queensferry towards Hopetoun and on to the woods east of Blackness.

It's actually pronounced Black-ness but to wind up the locals we always pronounce it as in blackness/nae light.

As the tide was out the dog was head to toe in estuary mud and sand, there are streams in the woods he can drink from as it was really hot, no wind and cloudless, and he can get kind of clean. The rest of the mud'll come off on my sister's sofa, but I'd worry about that later...

Once at the bay East of Blackness Castle I had a brew, a cup of tea on a hot day is a blessing. I anchored the dog near the water, to force him to slow down in the heat for a while and used my trangia, cutlery drainer and my late Gran's billy can (60 years old or more that can is).

We headed South uphill through the shady woods to Abercorn village and it's Church. Realising that it's a Sunday we left the worshippers in peace and skirted the area going East towards the Deer Park.

Going through empty sheep fields we ended up in an untouched meadow North of the old Digital factory where I saw lots of orchids, and a tall jaggy leaved plant that looked like it had large "burdock" like things near the top, forgot to check my Collins gem book.

Best of all was the Buzzard that glided low above us totally silent and elegant as it scanned the meadow in a large U turn - beautiful.

The rest of the walk home was more of the same - a slow pleasant bimble just drinking in the sights and sounds of nature.

Hardly saw a soul all day, in an area usually bursting with tourists.

Not a day of great events, just one of simple wonder and amazement at the countryside around me.

Just thought I'd share this with you because I had such an enjoyable time.

Thanks for reading.

Liam

p.s.

The dog was clean by the time I got to my sisters, so I didn't get a kicking - bonus.

Chrisj

Nomad
Oct 14, 2009
Gwynedd
Glad you had such a good day.

Unfortunately I had to work. Cutting a really awkward hedge all day in full sun. I think I lost pounds in fluids. Still when work takes me outside in lovely summer weather life can't be so bad

Deck

Forager
Dec 31, 2010
Moray
Mate, that sounds like a cracking day. Sadly I have been stuck inside having to clean the house getting ready for the estate agents tomorrow. My hands are still tingly from all that scrubbing! Glad to hear that someone else has had a good day in the sunshine goodjob

dave53

On a new journey
Jan 30, 2010
wales
hi miyagi i chilled all weekend wasnt feeling brill for some reason didnt step out the door would have to be a "nice weekend" didnt it regards dave

Robbi

Mar 1, 2009
northern ireland
sounds a good day Liam :)

had a MASSIVE party here yesterday, managed to get most of it cleared up last night so not to much this morning. Up at 6:00 to get the extra tables and chairs back to my mates B & B before the first breakfast sitting at 7:00.

back to streaky bacon and eggs with coffee then took Charles Boker for a wander along the shore and marina, was treated to watching a large shoal of big mullet feeding in the clear waters of the marina.

took wifey out to lunch at one of our locals that has a jazz band on a Sunday lunchtime, boogey'd on home about 4 and chilled for the rest of the day......most pleasant :)

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Glad you had such a good day.

Unfortunately I had to work. Cutting a really awkward hedge all day in full sun. I think I lost pounds in fluids. Still when work takes me outside in lovely summer weather life can't be so bad

I've done few of those, but it's usually raining.

Mate, that sounds like a cracking day. Sadly I have been stuck inside having to clean the house getting ready for the estate agents tomorrow. My hands are still tingly from all that scrubbing! Glad to hear that someone else has had a good day in the sunshine goodjob

Hope it goes well Deck, all the best.

hi miyagi i chilled all weekend wasnt feeling brill for some reason didnt step out the door would have to be a "nice weekend" didnt it regards dave

I was exactly the same last weekend Dave, there was stuff I should've been doing but couldn't get motivated in the slightest. I wasn't even motivated enough to ignore the "must do" stuff and sneak off to the cuds. Oh how I kicked myself for it on the Monday.

Guys, I wish you all could have been here, but let's just say I enjoyed it on your behalf. Thanks it was lovely.

Liam

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Hurrah!

A Quiet car boot, nothing spectacular. (Have had good luck over the past few weeks)

Blew the Blowing Stone. (Not loud enough to summon any Anglo saxon warriors, Im afraid)

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
That just sounds like the best of days Liam :D

Mine just pottered along peacefully. My garden is a wee green jungle and me and the cat wandered in and out all day. I picked the rasps and made a start on the blackcurrants. Watched the new chicks flying like kamikaze's in and out of the branches of the trees and the hedge, gathered the melissa and mugwort and tied it in bundles to dry, while sitting under the roses and the honeysuckle :)
Spent a wee while sitting beside the pond watching the newts and the irridescent flies, listening to the squirrels flyting at the cat :rolleyes:
Cleared away the stuff I used yesterday for the park's day, and uncovered another new started mouse's nest :sigh: I think they're under the wee shed and the cat was enjoying wriggling about on the hot slabs too much to be bothered looking for them.
It was a scorcher of a day, I must have drunk gallons of tea :)
Total chill out :D

atb,
M

persistent king

Settler
May 23, 2010
wigan
I have had a cracking day also,
Me the wife and the two kids and the dog all went for a paddle in our canoe, we started at red rock in wigan and paddled down to adlington,we also passed a couple of canoers on the way, taking in all the wildlife on the way , we saw two oyster catchers and a buzzard.

We got to the moorings at addlington, then had a picnic,kids had a play on the park then we paddled back,and it cost me £0.
we got back had some tea and all sat around the fire pit and had a fire in the back garden and talked about the day we had.

priceless realy . it was a great day with my family.

Dirac

Tenderfoot
Jun 18, 2011
Abbotsbury
Great thread, I have had an awesome day too. First proper day back in the countryside after finishing University, I was keen to go out to the woods and have a go at lighting a fire with my new steel. It was unsuccessful, but was still fun looking about and going to all of my old camping spots in the woods and that. I managed to light one when I got back home in the garden so I'm over the moon haha.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
That sounds great Mary.

I have a wildlife corridor along one side of my garden but need to add rasps and B/C's - might ask for cuttings from the Farm.

Last week I spotted our Farm pond's resident Goldfish, the recently added crested newts and the stunning dragonflies/damsels.

I built a lightweight gate for my chicken run (18ft x 30ft) when I got home today, the one made of pallets was too heavy, and thought of starting a pond in their run.

Today was a scorcher for sure, I took it slow but the dog was sweating like cheese on a windowsill, though he's sound asleep and fine now.

Anybody that wants to head for a bimble in Queensferry give me a shout and I'll take you on the route I did today. It's about four or five hours and maybe 20 miles. South Queensferry to Blackness along the shore from my house is just over six miles. It's an easy stroll believe me.

Liam

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Very nice Liam, thanks for sharing

Just plotted your day out on the old map software, looks a nice part I've not visited before.

My day was spent in the garden, drinking cold beers, having a bbq and doing a bit of gardening sometimes. I'm a bit pink now.

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
I have had a cracking day also,
Me the wife and the two kids and the dog all went for a paddle in our canoe, we started at red rock in wigan and paddled down to adlington,we also passed a couple of canoers on the way, taking in all the wildlife on the way , we saw two oyster catchers and a buzzard.

We got to the moorings at addlington, then had a picnic,kids had a play on the park then we paddled back,and it cost me £0.
we got back had some tea and all sat around the fire pit and had a fire in the back garden and talked about the day we had.

priceless realy . it was a great day with my family.

Those kind of days are exactly that - Priceless.

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Liam, my blackcurrant is a real good one; no disease, loads of big beautiful sweet fruits, and the blooming thing offsets new plants every year. I've got one that I dug up in Spring and it's in fruit now, and it's still in the pot :rolleyes:
If you want it, I'll keep it in the pot until I'm out near the farm and I'll bring it over. The leaves make a really good tea as well.

A goldfish in the pond isn't a good thing if you want to encourage the newts. The fish will eat every young one it can get into it's mouth. It's a carp, and the can get huge on such feeding :)

Did you hear about the wee white goldfish I felt sorry for in the pet shop in Hamilton ? The owner sold it to me for 50p. and then the wee beast wouldn't eat a thing :sigh: until a fly flew near the top of the big glass bowl and he jumped out and grabbed it :yikes: HWMBLT joking said, "It's a carnivore!", and waved a bit of cat food above the fish....and the blooming thing jumped out and nabbed it too :yikes:
Turned out my wee white goldfish was a cyclid....aka a piranha :rolleyes:

The petshop had put it into a tank by itself because it was tormenting the goldfish that had come in with it. My cat gave that fish a very wide berth :D

M

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The leaves make a really good tea as well.

Ooo didn't know that, just pour water on and give them a mash ?

We've got very healthy blackcurrant and redcurrant bushes in the garden, another bumper crop this year too. We've had bread and butter pudding with both in tonight, first harvest of the year. Blueberry's are doing well again but still no sign of fruit on the cranberry bush.

Last edited:

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Hahahahaha I'll tell them about the Goldfish tomorrow, yours and ours! A cyclid brilliant!!!

That'd be lovely the potted B/C - let me know when you're coming through and I'll put the kettle on Mary.

Thank you.

Liam

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I thought it was cute :eek:
It was only the size of one of the old 10p pieces. The bowl was about 20" diam. and I planted it up with pond green things, and it all looked well, except it wouldn't eat anything.
No damned wonder, I don't think goldfish flakes were really that appealling when it seemed to thrive on Whiskas :rolleyes:
It got to about 5" before it croaked it. Huge great eyes it had, bit Golem like tbh.

Great, I'll hang onto the blackcurrant and bring it through next time I'm at Almondvale....soonish, I've got wedding presents to buy.

Blackcurrant leaves dry well, I think they make better tea from dried leaves, but fresh is good too. It actually smells of blackcurrants :D

cheers,
M

Miyagi

Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Shame it died Mary.

I've been eating the flowers (meant to be picking them) from purple mange tout and the pea tops as well - they taste surprisingly of peas and are very tasty.

We've been adding them to the mixed salad we offer.

Can't wait to try the tea - might have a go at drying some leaves from our crop tomorrow.

Liam

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
I've had a very satisfactory day too. Dug up the first two rows of tatties, got a good crop of peas and four cauliflower. Also lifted four rows of beetroot and boiled them up. Sterilised 24 jam jars and will pickle the beetroot tomorrow. I put brown sugar and honey in my pickling vinegar. I like my beetroot to have a sweet and sour taste. Then I just chilled for the rest of the day while the wife watched two foreigners hitting a ball back and forth.

Eric

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE