Who's been beating about the busk today?? loads of pictures!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
I guess that would have been me!! :rolleyes:

But seriously.....

DSC05560.jpg

I've been out again today with the purpose of (re)learning navigating by map and compass. First I had planned to nagotiate the terrain in a straight line, or at least as good as possible, to a predestined goal. I checked the map and planned the route in advance. The endgoal would be a bend in a little road, leading to a small lake. from there on I would move around that lake, travel to a second one and from there on I would be on known territory again to head back home.

Within 100 meters I ran into my first challenge. On the map the green colour shows the wooded areas, but unfortunately it doesn't say what kind of woods you'd be running in to. The route I had planned would be straight through young woods. Hard to move through and impossible to navigate by using terrainfeatures....
DSC05561.jpg

This meant navigating using map and compass only. Thankfully it was a sunny day, so I could use the sun als a guidance.
I needed to generally head this direction;
DSC05567.jpg

That meant that way;
DSC05568.jpg

Plenty of water.....
DSC05569.jpg

But I do not know if it is safe to use? No idea why it foamed this badly....
DSC05570.jpg

After stumbling through the woods, complete with rocks, marshy soil, loads of decaying branches and other surprises, for more than an hour, I entered a larger clearcut area, overgrown with tall grasses, small trees with lots of spaces between them, and many gametrails. This could only mean one thing; ticks!!
And what do you know.... I knocked at least 6 off of my pants! 2 nymphae, but larger ones, too. Since I moved here I made a habbit out of whenever I travel across this sort of terrain, I regularly stop, climb onto a bolder of treestump and check the legs of my pants. This way you can see the little *notsonicenamecalling* better. I guess the light catches them better, this way.
DSC05563.jpg

I caught myself using this kind of passages whenever possible and then turn back to my original heading, zigzagging my way through.
DSC05571.jpg

By lunchtime I took a break and studied the map again. I ended up in a piece of wood I could see where I was and I found out I had gotten off course. It wasn't easy finding your way through the thickets with a backpack, belt and mapcase. I also misinterpreted the position of sun somewhat. I used it as I would in Holland, but 1600km further up north it a little different, especially this time of year!
The blue line is the route I took, the first red cross is where I ended up, coming out of the young wooded area, the second red cross is where I was supposed to be and the red dotted line is the deviation. Scale is 1:50000
route.jpg

I was soaking wet. Above the belt from perspiration, below because of the dew and water. While I was standing there, preparing lunch and a cup of tea, I had a second less pleasant experiance; I was hgetting quite cold, quite fast!
I made the classical error of dressing up too warm at the start, did not bring any dry clothes to change into ànd I made the wrong choice in fabric. Now I was reminded again of the saying "cotton kills".....
Temperature was about 5 or 6 degrees centigrade and the wind was picking up. Standing still wasn't very comfortable, so I quickly finished my lunch, had a second cup of thea, while packing up. My fingers felt cold, just by handling the metal of my Swedish cookingset! That should be fun when it really starts to get cold, here!
DSC05575.jpg

After lunch I chose not to go on to my set goal, but to shorten the trail by following an old lumbertrack. There were gunshots coming from the direction I initially planned to move to. They were still distant, but I felt uncomfortable with it.... The track was also more spacious and a lot sunnier and I also could move better and faster. This meant I was going to get warm again, soon. It turned out to be a great area to walk through! Great surroundings, lovely sun and I was comfortably warm, again!

Hey! A roadsign! It says "Dammsjönsvägen", meaning Dammsjöroad;
DSC05577.jpg

The road....
DSC05578.jpg

Wet feet for sure!
DSC05581.jpg

a woodpecker. I was able to sneak up to it to about 4 meters;
DSC05582.jpg

DSC05583.jpg

Loved the way the sunlight lit up the edges;
DSC05585.jpg

With map & compass in hand I found the first little lake; the Lilla Dammsjön.
DSC05589.jpg

DSC05591.jpg

DSC05596.jpg

DSC05597.jpg

Enjoying the scenery and silence I moved on to the next goal; the Stora Dammsjön.
The "path";
DSC05599.jpg

A miniature forrest in the large forrest;
DSC05601.jpg

After a relatively easy walk, using the more open, older woods and available tracks, there was light at the end of the tunnel;
DSC05612.jpg

DSC05610.jpg

Here I had a second break and enjoying the rays of the autumnsun. The wind was more powerfull here, but so was the sun, compensating the windchill. Travelling here was also a little easier, so sweating was less. Therefor I wasn't as wet as befor and then wearing ones old armygear is quitye comfortable.
DSC05627.jpg

While fiddling in my pockets, I came across these!;
DSC05635.jpg

My old army dogtags! Don't know hw they got there or how long they have been there, but I was quite surprised!!
I'll bore you lot with some more pretty pictures and then I'll be heading back home again. The sun is setting allready and it's more than an hour and a half's walk.

DSC05628.jpg

DSC05631.jpg

DSC05640.jpg

DSC05636.jpg

DSC05644.jpg

The entire trip took me about 5 hours and I relearned that you should never underestimate the combined forces of wet and wind! Today was a good day with lots of sun, wind and lower temeratures, but if it starts to get real nippy in a week or 2....
The current way of packing my pack isn't adequate anymore. I have to redo it with a second set of clothing and other gear.
Moving across the terrain is time- and energyconsuming and that's something I tend to forget/underestimate, too. On the other hand, navigating using my map and compass worked out quite well, apart from moving "blindly". I ended up where I wanted to be, was able to read and use the terrain, map and compass.
And the ticks?? Well, either my fieldtickcheckmethod works òr the critters just think I taste bad, but when I got home, there wasn't a single one on me!
All in all a day well spent!

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Great pics Ron.

The foam on the water is natural foam.
The water should be safe enough, though a boil for tea or coffee would assage your fears.

Holme

Mar 10, 2010
Sweden
Nice trip and great photos!

As you have become aware of, the average Swedish forest isn´t always that hospitable.:)

If I may, I would suggest that you get hold of another type of compass, preferably a traditional orienteering compass. I believe that will improve your navigation skills. It doesn´t have to be advanced, a simple model of Silva or Finnish Suunto will do just fine and doesn´t cost that much. Myself, I use the compass that I got when I was a child and now some 40 years later, it works just fine.

Happy trails!

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hej Holme,
That's what you get when you stop being a tourist and start seeing the land as it really is... ;)

I don't think it was the compass that threw me offcourse, but the vegetation and me misinterpreting the sun.
I'd like to see that old compass of yours, as I am a big fan of older gear..... as you might know.

tack

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Great fotos, reminds me of Scotland, or at least how it probably looked like in the days of the Great Caledonian Forest.

I'm too young to remember that but I think Barn Owl had his name carved in a few of it's trees. ;)

Looking at your dog tags - we share the same blood group Rh D Pos.

Cheers,

Liam

Great photos. Looks like some fun terrain to explore. I personally prefer mirrored sighting compasses but I doubt the lensatic compass was a problem. The military here still issues the Cammenga lensatic compasses. I have one, they are durable and accurate as long as you know the declination for the area you are working in, but that goes for any compass. I just happen to like how mirrored sighting compasses are lighter, the mirror is also a signal mirror if needs be, and I have found the mirror invaluable for getting suicidal gnats out of my eyes in the warmer months. The one I carry lately is a Suunto MC-2G with a global needle. I really like the lower sighting window.

DSC_7929.jpg

DSC_4172thread.jpg

DSC_4175.jpg

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Hi Mistwalker,
the compass wasn't the problem, but it's user.... and the terrain to some extend...
Your compass does look good and the extras from the mirror are a great plus.

Hi Mistwalker,
the compass wasn't the problem, but it's user.... and the terrain to some extend...
Your compass does look good and the extras from the mirror are a great plus.

Yeah, that's usually the case with me too lol. Most quality compasses work ok but depend on us to use them correctly :) Getting accurate azimuths in dense forest is always difficult because you have to keep shooting so often and can seldom sight very far. Shooting multiple azimuths always causes a degree of error. Always good to try to shoot as far as humanly possible each time for less errors. I like the new compass. I doubt I'll be heading south of the border but I like how the needle is less finicky so should remain more accurate even if I am fatigued and don't realize I am not holding it level. The morror has been a godsend more than once.

Great thread Ron. Also, I like your stick Mistwalker.

Thanks me too :)

Great pics,,,good thread. Mistwalker,,is that a Bushfinger i see??. Was looking at one yesterday.
bill

No, that one is a Hiking Buddy, it's a bit smaller than the BF (which I do love), and quite a handy little knife.

Ok Ron, I'm through hi-jacking your thread now...sorry about that.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE