Whoopie slings?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Did I not say how in an earlier reply? Larks head or carabiner. I suppose if you've just got a sewn end seam you could push the fixed loop through it and then pass the adjustable loop through the fixed loop

I'm a bit of a wimp so even though the numbers stack up, 2.5mm just seems way too thin to support me! You can buy enough 3mm rope to make these for £12 delivered (from rooster sailing - the ukhammock ones are £15.49 delivered)

So you did, sorry. It all makes sense now, thanks chaps. goodjob :D

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
By the way, I've known about whoopie slings since yesterday evening so I'm hardly an expert but they're not as complicated as you might first think!

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
Glad you got your head round the concept - took me a while too to be honest! ;) If you're thinking about buying them, i'd have a good long think about whether you really need them - have a look at their pros and cons. Most people will feel the whoopie sling is all win win, but i personally think its more of a faff and not a simpler set up.

I do use whoopie slings now, but sometimes i wish i could just tie my hammock to the tree with a once around and a simple bow knot and all done! Instead i find myself faffing with whoopie slings, toggles, marlin hitch, straps and dutch clips. The only thing that makes me continue with them, is the flexibility in choosing my trees. I can now use trees much further apart than i could with the DD straps - but this again isnt always a positive in a thick wood.

I suppose im basically saying, personally, i think its a different suspension method, rather than a better method. So before you spend money on some gear (relatively inexpensive i suppose) have a good hard think about it. My mates dont use them, and they never have any problems.

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
Glad you got your head round the concept - took me a while too to be honest! ;) If you're thinking about buying them, i'd have a good long think about whether you really need them - have a look at their pros and cons. Most people will feel the whoopie sling is all win win, but i personally think its more of a faff and not a simpler set up.

I do use whoopie slings now, but sometimes i wish i could just tie my hammock to the tree with a once around and a simple bow knot and all done! Instead i find myself faffing with whoopie slings, toggles, marlin hitch, straps and dutch clips. The only thing that makes me continue with them, is the flexibility in choosing my trees. I can now use trees much further apart than i could with the DD straps - but this again isnt always a positive in a thick wood.

I suppose im basically saying, personally, i think its a different suspension method, rather than a better method. So before you spend money on some gear (relatively inexpensive i suppose) have a good hard think about it. My mates dont use them, and they never have any problems.

I was just thinking about it and Ive never had any issues with the existing tapes not being long enough and theyre nice and easy to use, so think I'll stick with them for now as I know what Im doing with them. As they say if its not broke dont fix it. One day I may change over but only if I can find a good reason to. :)

garethw

Settler
G

I agree it is not a deffo better method... a different one, of which I like the simplicity of no knots..light weight etc. I guess I'm a gadget junkie, but once you get into hammocks, its like anything else you try out all the gadgets. These as you say are not much money, so for me was worth the few quid spent to find the best system (for me). I guess its kind of contagious, you see a new, nice idea and think.... I'd like to try that too!!
As long as you can attach your hammock to the tree, it doesn't fall down and you sleep ok.. then its fine.
cheers
Gareth

bmartin1uk

Forager
May 4, 2010
Baldock, Herts
I agree it is not a deffo better method... a different one, of which I like the simplicity of no knots..light weight etc. I guess I'm a gadget junkie, but once you get into hammocks, its like anything else you try out all the gadgets. These as you say are not much money, so for me was worth the few quid spent to find the best system (for me). I guess its kind of contagious, you see a new, nice idea and think.... I'd like to try that too!!
As long as you can attach your hammock to the tree, it doesn't fall down and you sleep ok.. then its fine.
cheers
Gareth

I totally agree. Im a gadget junkie as well, and thats why i tried them. They keep me swinging so theres no real complaints. If you get on the hammock forums though, the whoopie sling reigns supreme, and i felt like a bit of a pariah when i was just using my straps. The good thing about all of this though, is that people share ideas and are continually looking for better, easier, lighter, cheaper or whatever ways of improving things like hammocking and my bank/credit card seem happy to keep trying them out!

garethw

Settler
hi there
Just got mine from UK hammocks.. brilliant!! Set the hammock up in the garden and love'em already..so quick and easy and no knots. The kids are all ove the hammock so will test the solidity for me...
cheers
Gareth

Ps: I've noticed while playing the total lack ot stretch in the whoopie sling amsteel material. This makes it far easier to get a nicely adjusted sag first go...

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE