Whole milk powder

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Matt.S

Native
Mar 26, 2008
Exeter, Devon
Evening all,

I've recently found a local source of whole milk powder (Nestle unfortuntely). I've been using skimmed milk powder until now for baking, brews etc., both outdoors and in when I don't have fresh to hand. The difference in fresh between whole (lovely) and skimmed (vile white water) is like night and day, but how about powdered/dried?

Cheers,
Matt

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I regularly use powdered milk. Ive not found much difference in taste between the skimmed/full fat. I got a 1.5kg bag of full fat for £9 from the cash and carry and keep it in the freezer. The skimmed "5 pint" stuff sometimes has a slight 'meaty' taste to it, but I don't mind a good meaty coffee.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
Your local Wal-ASDA-Mart may also stock it, I use a non-Nestle whole milk powder from there. for some reason It's usually found around the Jamaican cooking section.

Rebel

Native
Jun 12, 2005
Hertfordshire (UK)
Whole milk powder is way tastier than the horrid skimmed stuff. Putting in extra skimmed powder doesn't help the taste much because there's no fat in it to begin with.

The problem in this country is that whole milk powder is difficult to find. It still tastes like UHT milk but so much nicer than skimmed.

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Check the Latina markets if they are over there or check in the Latina section of stores like Walmart and such I have never tried it but gotta be way better than the non fat stuff.

torc

Settler
Nov 23, 2005
left coast, ireland
Most Asian food shops carry NIDO brand milk powder by Nestle here in Ireland.
It's much better than the low fat powered milk rubbish from Marvel.
Plus the Nido metal tin can be used to make a good hobo type stove.
Happy trails...torc.

May 14, 2006
Consett County Durham
I totally agree with the "white water" comment, I find there's almost no flavour to it so what I do is add coffee whitener to the milk powder and after a good stir it gives it a whole milk flavour. so you could experiment with the ratio's and take a mix of milk/coffee whitener powder.

Hope this helps.

Kev

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE