Who went out in the rain today?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
Hi Guys, I wondered if any of you were out in the bad weather trying to do something bushcrafty?

I did a bit of a woodland trek with my boy (his idea!) collected some Elderflowers for cordial, found a great stick for tracking and got soaked! But we did have a great time even if it was impromptu.

What about the rest of you?

BorderReiver

Mar 31, 2004
Norfolk U.K.
hawkeye said:
yes,but what better reason to go out?

:p Here here.

Took the dogs into the woods,bits of tree flying everywhere in the wind.

We went to the beach for a swim (the dogs) but I stopped sending them in after 10 minutes as the waves were too big and I didn't want to drown the poor devils :roll:

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
As far as I am concerned football on the TV is one of the BEST reasons to be out in the woods! First it gets you away from the footbal :lol: and as an added bonus, there are fewer people to share the woods with :-D

Over here in Herts the rain held off and we had a pretty good evening. Only problem was the wind. Ashridge, the local forest to me, is FULL of huge beech, oak and sweet chestnut that have been blown over, roots and all. I love the woods, but I don't trust them in winds.

As a consolation prize, I got to burn all my spoon making chips at the bottom of the garden :roll: :lol: :roll:

sargey

Mod
Mod
Member of Bushcraft UK Academy
Sep 11, 2003
cheltenham, glos
the night before last i was out teaching a mate mapreading, it was hissing down.

last night i was out playing with a big pointy toy :cool: it was very windy but dry. kids had been playing with me camera again, dead batteries!

tonight i'm mostly dossing in front of the pc.

football? we was robbed! bleedin ref :twisted: :wink:

cheers, and.

The General

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 18, 2003
North Wales Llandudno
I went for a walk on the beach with my mum and her two Tibetin Terriers! Rain was driving down and it was surprisingly cold. My SAS waterproof worked a treat though!

There was a huge bleached tree on the beach. It had been washed up. I had a whittle on it with my 806 Axis folder and flipping heck it was tough as iron! Is this normal?

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
I went out last night, it was showery rather than pouring.
Had the radio on in the Landy so I could hear the score as I came back in hearing range.
I didn't do anything drastic, just had a walk round.

Cheers

Mark

Jack

Oct 1, 2003
Dorset
My good lady and I ( AKA Anne) took the horse's out. I ( AKA James Bond's stunt double) had Big Nose ( AKA Storm) and Anne had Swiss Tony ( AKA Jason).

I had Big Nose and Anne had Swiss Tony (AKA Jason). Now Swiss Tony, yes, (AKA Jason) is a yearly colt...............so that was fun.

My Kit list for this outing was

1 x Sun Glasses ( mirror ones from the 70's).......just a joke.

1 x Snowy River hat ( someone did stop and ask if I was Clint Eastwood, yeah I know, embarrassing isn't!)

1 x Leatherman Wave ( you will always be wanting to cut a piece of twine, don't ask me why, you just do)

1 x MaxP Thermite to carry all of our survival rations in ( well, to bottles of orange and some chewing gum!)

Couple of observations;

Never seen some many horse fly's about.

Seen my first 7 foot hog weed this year ( about 4 months to early)

Didn't know the Gilpins are selling up their dairy herd!

Adi007

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 3, 2003
We (Me, Kath and the two bushkids) were out the other night moth trapping with a conservation society. The kind of thing that doesn't start till late and carries on till much later. This was carried out in clearing in a mixed FC woodland.

Super spot and the moths were plentiful. I was amazed at the quantity and diversity of these creatures. The weather was on the whole good but with the occasional showers.

Observations:
- Seem to be far fewer butterflies this year but moths seems about the same.
- Lots of ragwort growing. The Foot & Mouth a few years ago really gave it an opportunity to take hold here in Wales.
- More and more bloomin' rhody growing everywhere!
- Prolonged looking in UV bulbs gives you a real headache

Kit list:
- Tilley hat
- Karrimor fleece
- Brit Army lightweights
- Lowa boots
- RayBans (I know it's night, but I do want to look cool - nah, because we were messing with UV bulbs)
- MaxP Thermite with SureFire (M2), SERE 2000, FAK, notebook, Space Pen, lighter (just in case), ferro rod (just in case), tinder (just in case).

D

dataphage

C_Claycomb said:
Over here in Herts the rain held off and we had a pretty good evening. Only problem was the wind. Ashridge, the local forest to me, is FULL of huge beech, oak and sweet chestnut that have been blown over, roots and all. I love the woods, but I don't trust them in winds.:

Totally agree, C_Claycomb. I'm from Berkhamsted originally and know Ashridge. It is stuffed with very old trees and every time the wind gets up the old boughs come down from the trees and some trees get blown over. The best time to be out there will be today. There'll be lots of native hardwood down from the trees for carving projects & the wildlife will come out for a look around after the rain.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
i went out in the rain on wensday, just had a short hike. Testing mine rain gear. Things learned: my gortex parka is good, canvas gaiters aren't warerproof and i need a good pair of rain pants !

Fallow Way

Nomad
Nov 28, 2003
Staffordshire, Cannock Chase
I have been out in the rain all through the last few days as I`m a forester. I was using a chainsaw with my team mate strimming some rights of way. Now, as a bushcrafter I`m aware of always being prepared (PPPPP) so in my rucksack i always have my wets (waterproofs). After a few hours of work i walked back up the track to see how my team mate was getting on, as the thought had occured to me I didnt see him with a bag, so where were his wets?

As I found when i saw him, his wets were elsewhere. He was sodden through to the bone and a long walk from the landrover hiding under a tree. Taking him back to base our manager was agast at the state of him. A change of PPE and under clothes and we headed off again.

It rained the next day as heavily.

Guess what he forgot to bring.

alick

Settler
Aug 29, 2003
Northwich, Cheshire
Out today for my first lesson in field archery - good fun!

Major lessons - (i) you CAN get splinters off a carbon fibre arrow shaft and (ii) hats fouls the bowstring, so you get a wet head !

Great to see more kids on the course than adults and to hear an excellent talk on safety before anything else.

Looking forward to the rest of the course.

Cheers,

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
The General said:
I went for a walk on the beach with my mum and her two Tibetin Terriers! Rain was driving down and it was surprisingly cold. My SAS waterproof worked a treat though!

There was a huge bleached tree on the beach. It had been washed up. I had a whittle on it with my 806 Axis folder and flipping heck it was tough as iron! Is this normal?

I live on the coast in south wales and a great deal of the drift wood seems to be increadably hard, so i think its probably normal

Kath

Native
Feb 13, 2004
Slept in my bivvy on a clifftop by the sea on Friday. Beautiful night - the stars were fantastic - but then it started bucketting down!

Anyway, well proud of myself for making coffee on my hexy stove while still staying dry inside my bag - stove was outside, I hasten to add! :wink: That "Wet Fire" works great, BTW (thanks Jack!)

Slept well, and stayed dry too, at least until it was time to go...then I got drenched while rolling my bag up. :-D

Roving Rich

Oct 13, 2003
Nr Reading
Well, I was at Glastonbury watching tents, marquees and Stages flying !
It lashed it down! they cordoned off the Dance tent as its hundreds of tons of canvas looked like it may become a parachute at any minute.
I watched the football with 90000 others, more than there were in the stadium itself ! ROOOOOOOOOONEEEEEEEEEEEY went on for days.
My goretex proved invaluable. It did get wet on the inside, but compared to the £20 berghaus non breathable jacket it was heaven. My ex army DPM goretex leggings worked a treat, my friends abandoning theirs from excess "Betty Swollocks" :wink:
I danced till dawn in me wellies :-D
Rich

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE