whittling projects

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

fussyproduct

Apr 2, 2009
Northern Ireland
hey everyone!

Just wondering if anybody had any ideas on a simple project for me to try as I've kind of run out of ideas.

I've already made a few spoons and a canoe using birch but i need some inspiration for a new project.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
All manner of things...... ummmm......
RM inspired pot hangers, whistles, tongs, practice knives, petanque/boules set.
Mors' "Try" stick, or wood spirits, a kuksa,
Fondue set and a cuddly toy!

Hows that for starters?

ATB

Ogri the trog

scrogger

Native
Sep 16, 2008
east yorkshire
:lmao: your not gonna get much gear in that then!!! ;) ;) ;)

I have just started my first Kuksa but its starting to crack a bit now!!

Also got a flute half done from a piece of dried Elder.

And I have done a few trinket type key ring projects such as a fish, a dove, and a crescent moon. All good fun and very relaxing.

Have fun!!

bushwacker bob

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 22, 2003
STRANGEUS PLACEUS
Hoodoo posted a' ball in a cage' post on here a few years ago.( If you can find the post)
He knocked it up in his lunch break, but it looked quite challenging to us mortals.
Wooden chains are good too.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
In issues 19 & 20 of Bushcraft and Survival Skills Magazine George Thompson (sorry - don't know his BCUK name - I assume he has one) has a very good article on a 'try' stick - essentially it is a stick in which you carve all manner (actually 11) of trial notches, shapes etc.

You need good but not impossible whittling skills to produce a good 'try' stick and it looks very good practice - it's way beyond me at themoment)

He recommends Mors Kochanski's book 'Bushcraft' and RMs 'Essential Bushcraft' for further information.

Mang

Settler
I've near enough finished my first spoon using a Frosts carving knife...

DSCN3068.jpg

...good budget one I say but equally I've never used a 'pro' one.

addo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 8, 2006
Derbyshire
Make a catapult. Only have to tidy up a forked stick. Loads of fun though. You also get to practice whipping knots. Could try some decoration on the shaft and dye it with inner birch bark powder, sealed with oil.

Sean Hellman

Tenderfoot
Apr 19, 2009
devon
www.seanhellman.com
sorry if im asking too many questions but what do you think of the frosts mora carving knife as shown here
http://www.camelotoutdoor.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=82

is it a good beginners carving knife and has it as good a quality as other moras?

thanks

In answer the 120 is a fantastic knife, I use it all the time for carving, and it keeps a very good edge.
The hook knife needs a bit of work done to it before I use them, take the pointed tip off as it will save minor stabbing to wood and flesh. I also round the bevel a bit and round the flat edge as I want a nice curve on the back of the hook knife. The hook knife works best when really sharp so make up some 15mm dia dowel strops by glueing wet and dry to them in various grits and most importantly make yourself some leather stops.
Take a look here to find out how http://seanhellman.com/single image pages/How to make a strop.pdf

here for a little bit on some hook knives http://seanhellman.blogspot.com/2009_03_01_archive.html

hiho

Native
Mar 15, 2007
South Yorkshire
sorry if im asking too many questions but what do you think of the frosts mora carving knife as shown here
http://www.camelotoutdoor.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=22&products_id=82

is it a good beginners carving knife and has it as good a quality as other moras?

thanks

ordered them on saturday morning, they where waiting for me this morning. good job they where packaged to fit through the letter box, as they don't respond to emails or order notes...

they seem as strong and well made as my mora, and come with a nice coating of oil

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE