Whittling doodads

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
how long would one of these take to make?

I really can't say for sure. There are lots of variables. For me, I have only a little time here and there to work on carving projects so it is difficult to assess overall time. Certainly the double cage carving took a LOT more work than the egg. The bars are very delicate and one little screwup and you are in trouble so it's best to go slow. The egg with yolk I worked on for about a week, an hour here, an hour there. That's about as close to an estimate as I can get. Very sharp knives and good wood makes the time pass faster. :)

As for patience, I really don't see carving that way. For me, it's a form of relaxation and meditation. I enjoy the process so I never get impatient. Sometimes I get a little excited when I near the end of a project but never impatient. :) There is a tremendous sensuality to putting a sharp knife to seasoned wood. I like the sound and the feel of it. I like the slow pace and the focused intensity of the moment. I enjoy the visual pattern emerging. For me, it's a luxury to have time to carve.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
do you use a mini saw aswell or is it all knife work?

That depends on the project. I cut the block of wood out of a board for the double cage. The rest was hand carved. The egg, I roughed out on a band saw and hand-carved the rest. I use a band saw to rough out most of my carvings unless I'm in the woods and then I use a hatchet and large knife. For bowls and mugs, I will use Forstner drill bits to remove large amounts of wood. For instance, I used a Forstner bit to drill the initial bowl on this mahogany coffee scoop:

coffeescoop1b.jpg

jon r

Native
Apr 7, 2006
England, midlands
www.jonsbushcraft.com
As for patience, I really don't see carving that way. For me, it's a form of relaxation and meditation. I enjoy the process so I never get impatient. Sometimes I get a little excited when I near the end of a project but never impatient. :) There is a tremendous sensuality to putting a sharp knife to seasoned wood. I like the sound and the feel of it. I like the slow pace and the focused intensity of the moment. I enjoy the visual pattern emerging. For me, it's a luxury to have time to carve.

Its the same for me Hoodoo. When im carving i love seing the final peice emerging step by step. When im carving i feel relaxed and have no worries.

By bhe way, that coffie scoop is another beauty!

Got any more work to show off?

Eric_Methven

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 20, 2005
Durham City, County Durham
That's it! I'm going to end up in the naughty corner again. I'm going to have to get a set of Flexcut knives (and maybe some chisels as well). I've just been waiting to see what sort of work they can do in the right hands, and now I know. Truly awsome.

Eric

Apr 14, 2006
Jurassic Coast
That's it! I'm going to end up in the naughty corner again. I'm going to have to get a set of Flexcut knives (and maybe some chisels as well). I've just been waiting to see what sort of work they can do in the right hands, and now I know. Truly awsome.

Eric

Save a bit of room for me in the naughty corner Eric, I have a feeling I will be there just as soon as the Flexicuts arrive

:27: :present: :sad6: :sulkoff:

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
I got a new Axminster catalogue in the post last week as well. Now my better half will be convinced I had planned it all along.

Hoodoo mate, do you always use seasoned wood, or do you ever use it green straight from the tree?

Eric

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I got a new Axminster catalogue in the post last week as well. Now my better half will be convinced I had planned it all along.

Hoodoo mate, do you always use seasoned wood, or do you ever use it green straight from the tree?

Eric

About the only time I use green wood is when I'm in the woods. Don't use it much around home. It carves a lot easier but as I'm sure you know, a lot more care is needed to keep it from cracking. I carve "throw away" utensils and toys like this rabbit stick from green wood.

Eric, Flexcut makes some fine tools and they come razor sharp.

rabbitstick1b.jpg

BTW, I really appreciate all the positive comments from you folks. I'm no master carver by anyone's stretch of the imagination. Just do it because I enjoy it. :thanks:

How about a noggin made of butternut? :lmao: ;)

mug6b.jpg

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Like most great artists and craftsmen you also have great humility. You are a master carver. From one to another my friend. :You_Rock_

If only it were true. :) I know too many truly fine carvers to get overconfident. But thanks for the good words! :)

madrussian

Nomad
Aug 18, 2006
New Iberia, Louisiana USA
WOW! That is some beautiful work Hoodoo. I could never do anything like that. Not enough time nor patience. I'd end up cutting something off. Probably a finger or two. :D You are an artist. :notworthy

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I will now throw away all my knives and bits of wood - your work makes me realize that I will never be good enough to hold my head up where men show their carved work. I am so inadequate, worthless and pathetic that I should never take blade to wood again. You have destroyed what little self esteem I had. I hate you, hate you, hate you!
On the other hand perhaps if I sit down with a nice piece of wood, a sharp knife and a little patience I TOO WILL PERSEVERE AND MAKE BEAUTIFUL THINGS!
Must find nice timber...(mutter, mutter)...sharpen knife..(mutter)...buy new whittler?...(mutter, mutter)...spend money...(mutter)...NAUGHTY CORNER!...(mutter, mutter)....

Thanks for the inspiration
John

PS
My Belgian Doctor always said "Big Inspiration" when he meant "deep breath" - :You_Rock_ much the same here! I was breathing VERY deeply after looking at your whittles...

Biddlesby

Settler
May 16, 2005
Frankfurt
how..on...earth? even the slightest of concave cuts is beyond my realm of skill without a spoon knife.

I will now throw away all my knives and bits of wood - your work makes me realize that I will never be good enough to hold my head up where men show their carved work. I am so inadequate, worthless and pathetic that I should never take blade to wood again. You have destroyed what little self esteem I had. I hate you, hate you, hate you!
On the other hand perhaps if I sit down with a nice piece of wood, a sharp knife and a little patience I TOO WILL PERSEVERE AND MAKE BEAUTIFUL THINGS!
Must find nice timber...(mutter, mutter)...sharpen knife..(mutter)...buy new whittler?...(mutter, mutter)...spend money...(mutter)...NAUGHTY CORNER!...(mutter, mutter)....

my thoughts exactly...

Eric_Methven

Apr 20, 2005
Like all manual dexterity skills, the more you practice, the better you get. I am inspired to have a go at some doodads. Until now most of my woodcraft has just been practical utilitarian stuff that simply did a job and little more. I kept the artistic and creative side for painting. I'm going to have a go at being creative with wood and see what I can come up with.
This is such an excellent thread.

Eric

Andy J

Forager
Oct 28, 2006
north wales
Hoodoo, Very impressed with your art, a real skill. What "product", if any, do you use to finish your pieces? I'm attempting a spoon, made from Cherry , it's not far from finished, and thinking about final touches. One thing is for sure, it won't look anything as good as anything of yours!! Any info gladly recieved. Thanks, Andy...

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I have seen that Noggin before Hoodoo.

It still takes my breath away.

You truly are a master

Red

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I finished my first spoon a couple of months ago and my second last weekend. I have a long way to go, but these pictures are a real inspiration. Incredible stuff Hoodoo.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE