Whiling Away the Hours...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
So, now the nights are drawing in, what do folk get up to when out overnight during the long, dark hours? I ask because I'm hoping to do a trip to Grizedale forest at the beginning of October with me dawg, but I'm finding the prospect of long hours of darkness a bit off-putting.
I'm not worried about the dark, more worried about having nowt to occupy myself and getting bored!

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
I enjoy the 11 or 12 hour sleeps I get in the hammock in winter so don't mind getting an early night sometimes.

The sharps usually go away when it's dark and a bottle of something cheeky comes out, a good sized woodpile and I just relax watching the fire.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
That reminds me, time to get the winter shelter built next time i am out. Think its a bender with the stove this time as opposed to a large lean too,,, got me thinking now lol.

The Big Lebowski

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 11, 2010
Sunny Wales!
Long evenings around the campfire with good banter, good company and good Rum!

Oh, and food that's been cooking for at-least 3, maybe 4 hours. Winter is my time to sit still and relax.

al.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
I think my 'campfire' will be my new honey stove, good company...my dog...
I can see a bit of thumb twiddling looming, but it'll be worth it if I wake up under my tarp to a cold but sunny misty morning. With some red deer to watch.
I'm very new to this, although I have used tents for a number of years. But this time at least, the emphasis is on slow. On blending in, not moving fast, getting off the beaten track and seeing with fresh eyes what's about.
Looking forwarde to it, if I can just find somewhere to leave the car near Newby Bridge/Finsthwaite area overnight.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looking forwarde to it, if I can just find somewhere to leave the car near Newby Bridge/Finsthwaite area overnight.

Not sure if you can park round the back of the garage just before the hotel. I've been eyeing up a night or two near High Dam at some point, it looks a nice camp when the crowds have gone home.

Last edited:

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
Roundabout now is ideal for me. Zonk out as it gets dark and stand a chance of seeing dawn. Good balance of light and dark.

From here on it's more sleep or late nights. I rarely wake up while it's dark, if I do I just go to sleep again until there is light. In the depth of winter I extend my evening sometimes by having a bright fire just after the sun goes down, if you gather woodchips during the day you can sprinkle them on the fire and have light to work from later on.

Mick w.

Nomad
Aug 20, 2011
west yorkshire, uk
Just been looking at the map. A car park by the side of Esthwaite water, might be a good spot. Then mebbe a slow bimble north before heading back towards Carron crag, then south, then NNE back towards the car. All subject to a moment's change of course, depending on how I feel/what I see at any given moment!

Asa Samuel

Native
May 6, 2009
St Austell.
Drink beer! (Good stuff, don't be a lagerboy!)

Aside from that, I'm learning to play the harmonica. I already play a few instruments but it's always fun picking up another.

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
Hi Mick w,
With a few shots of a fine malt I can usually provide my own entertainment and am quite contented with my own company. But if you need to be doing something then, as others have said, slow cooking takes up a good part of the evening. The long dark hours of the set of winter can be filled by leaving your firewood to be sawn as needed... the axe and knives go away when the whisky comes out.

Otherwise, listen to the sounds of the night and looking out for the usual nocturnal visitors as they do their rounds. The hive of activity of summer and the long daylight hours certainly have their benefits and attractions but I do look forward to the nights drawing in.

Cheers,

Pango.

Miyagi

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 6, 2008
South Queensferry
Drink beer! (Good stuff, don't be a lagerboy!)

Aside from that, I'm learning to play the harmonica. I already play a few instruments but it's always fun picking up another.

That'll scare somebody when it carries on the wind. :D

I took up the harmonica out of curiosity about ten years ago and was able to play well enough in a short time.

Not touched it in years so these days I can only do a mean "fire engine" sound.

Liam

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE