While Robin is carving in the living room...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
I'm building a sled in the kitchen. Although 14° may not be very cold to some of you it keeps my glue from working, so I had to bring my project out of the cold shop in into the kitchen next to the wood stove.

SledInKitchen.jpg

Hope to make the last glue up in the morning and let it set up then back to the shop for some shaping with a spoke shave, drill a few more holes and final fit up.

Then I'll take it to the Boy Scout hut for a couple coats of clear poly.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Sweeeeet.

Wil you hitch the Boy Scouts to the front afterwards too?

Mush! :D

Loveley work as always my friend - you are far too talented

Red

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I dont think weaver will be bringing it to the UK will you? :D
Did you stean bend the parts before gluing up or did you build them up from lots of thin veneer's? Was it urea formaldehyde glue? I have found that to be sensitive to temperature (cascamite) Did you use small mortice/tennon's to do the joints.
I'm estimating your house (or at least the wood trim) is 80-100 year's old? judging by the style and it looks to have quite a few coat's of paint on it?

weaver

Settler
Jul 9, 2006
North Carolina, USA
Question, questions, always questions... ;)

Well, let's see then, Yes, the Boy Scouts will pull the sled around a course one day later this month. They will compete in several woodsmanship tests of skill and creative thinking during the course. Last year they had to cross a rope bridge, saw a log with a two man crosscut saw, shoot targets with .22 rifles, estimate the width of a river within inches, build a fire to heat water and several other things I can't remember because I had to stay and judge the shooting all day.

Yes, I am complaining about having to use the kitchen, I'd rather be in the shop with good heat and insulation. Just haven't been able to get that done yet. My wife is very understanding. :cool:

You mean for lack of snow? We rarely get snow, most of the time they have to pull the sleds over rocks, dirt, grass or mud.

And finally Mr. D, Not steam bent. The runners were cut into 5 slices for a length of 16 inches, then glued and bent on a form. The top handles are 3/16 inch strips laminated two at a time. I used Titebond III waterproof yellow glue. Lots of M&T joints all hand cut with chisel and mallet.

My house was built in three eras. Originally it was a log cabin built around 1840, then extended and covered in clapboard around 1910, finally completely refurbished in 1990 keeping much of the original bead board walls and exposing one of the old stacked log walls. It sits in the center of a 60 acre woods.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE