Spoon rack

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Hi folks!
this is the first thing I've made in a long time that's been even vaguely related to this site .

It was simple enough, I surfed a bit to get some ideas on what the most common features of a Welsh cawl spoon rack were, drew up some plans, cut the parts out with hand tools (mainly as I still haven't fixed the band saw yet ), planed and sanded them to size and assembled with model aircraft grade aliphatic (sp?) resin glue then drilled and nailed them together with brass pins. Strictly speaking i should have used square section iron nails/pins but I've a aversion to using iron on oak because of the inevitable staining. After a final sanding I oiled it with linseed, let that dry and then filled the cracks with a wax based wood polish, smeared the whole thing with the same and then buffed it up after half a hour.

Dmnu9Bl.jpg

The tops with thye 3/4" holes are 10" long for scale.

Until the kitchens finally sorted Ive hung it off a beam in the shed along with the hearth tinder boxes.

NIn1hlS.jpg

Antique shop sites are full of them as are museums, there and number at St. Fagans for example if you want some inspiration.

Herself now wants me to make cawl now so i better get some lamb....

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
HO! Wonderful. I might need to crib the concept for my own kitchen, please and thank you.
I like you choice of finishes. I suppose it's rather golden in any light?

Reactions: zornt

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks!

I've enough of the 1/4" quarter sawn oak left to either make a wall salt box or everything apart from the wide back panel for a copy of the tavern pipe rack that's in the local museum that's in Whitaker Park that they took out of the cabinet for me to photograph and measure a few years back.. I love the patterns in it but the suff is so expensive.

ATB

Tom

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE