Which water filter to buy?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

DarkHorse

I'm going backpacking and would like to be able to get my own water from streams / rivers and filter it.

What products do you guys suggest.

I see theres a lot of different types out there and I'm not sure yet which one to buy. :p

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
depends on your situation, where you will be filling, how far from buildings, farms and possible chemical spilage etc etc etc.........

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=67113

http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28811

check out the above threads, i use the filter pump option, if filters out crud fine sediment and then uses an iodine block which the flow of the water takes off just enough to treat for bacteria and virus contaminants etc etc, theye are exspencive but it works for me, it also gives me a bit of peace of mind as it filters some % of heavy metals out.............

hope this helps......

chris...

D

DarkHorse

Thanks! TBH I didn't even think of all that - theres a lot more to it.

When I was in Spain last the water gave me an upset stomach for ages. Would that just be down to different bacteria in the water? What would you suggest to prevent that happening when I'm drinking what in other countries.

Conrad81

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2010
Edinburgh
I got a Millbank bag, very simple to use and not much that can go wrong with it. Once filtered just need to boil the water or chemically treat it. My bag only cost me £9.50 which isnt too bad. The down side is it doesnt filter out chemical/heavy metals so you just need to be careful where you collect your water but im sure you are anyway.

sapper1

Feb 3, 2008
swansea
I use a katadyn hiker.I bought it when they were made by PUR and have used it for years,it's never let me down.

Harley

Forager
Mar 15, 2010
London
i use the filter pump option, if filters out crud fine sediment and then uses an iodine block which the flow of the water takes off just enough to treat for bacteria and virus contaminants etc etc, theye are exspencive but it works for me, it also gives me a bit of peace of mind as it filters some % of heavy metals out...

Chris, does your device contain an activated carbon filter? If so, I would recommend changing it frequently - the carbon will fail at the point it becomes 'saturated' due to the nature of adsorption.

I would also be wary of the iodine resin element, always very crude, although unlikely to be available for retail now (my advice would be to upgrade your product in its entirety).

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
Millbank + boil and as an aternative the Steripen. UV light destroys DNA/RNA and prevent bugs reproducing; quick, effective.

resnikov

Has any tried this ?
ECO Stainless Pure water filter bottle 1600 litres from drinksafe-systems
Eco-2-whte-with-pck-largethumb.jpg

Looks a bit like the Lifesaver bottles but at less then half the price?

dj77

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
South West, UK
Has any tried this ?
ECO Stainless Pure water filter bottle 1600 litres from drinksafe-systems
Eco-2-whte-with-pck-largethumb.jpg

Looks a bit like the Lifesaver bottles but at less then half the price?

I have their Aquaguard Eliminator inline filter which I have connected to a Platypus 3 litre big zipper which can either be used as a gravity filter in camp or with a bite valve if using for hydration when hiking.

Giles Butler at Drinksafe Systems is really helpful and happy to answer any questions.

I have no connections just a happy customer.

A good thing about this system is you can use until it stops unlike similar products where the filter has to be replaced annually.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dj77

Tenderfoot
Dec 20, 2010
South West, UK
The Aquaguard Eliminator inline filter was the other product I was looking at as well, but with that you need the water bag, I liked the idea of the bottle as it can be carried easy in any bag or pocket (ok a big pocket :p )

In that case take a look at their other products as well as the Eco bottle they also do a military canteen which will hold a bit more water. Take a look at the spec of these filters they are the dogs danglies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Silverhill

Maker
Apr 4, 2010
Derbyshire
I swear by my Premac MWP. Small, light but costly to renew the filters. I've had no problems with water quality or taste, and I'm still alive.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE