Which Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Hi Elen,

I've got a 3x3 TW tarp that I use with my hammock and I find it plenty big enough, it's served me well through heavy rain and I have no complaints. I've recently started sewing and made a smaller tarp to use as a shelter with a bivy, or as an addition to my hammock set up. It's very light weight, packs down very small, and cost very little.

All the best

Matt

Epona

Oct 28, 2012
Wessex
@ Elen: did you buy any of the above? What did you think of the quality?

I'm looking for a good 3x3 tarp for my Xmas list, but it has to be lightweight for me too!

Gray

Sep 18, 2008
Scouser living in Salford South UK
I've found an old tarp in the shed, its a cracking thing,really good quality. Dont know what make it is, probably highlander or webtex (knowing me). Its DPM but has a pale green, rubbery backing. I was going to buy a new one but this is ace, forgot i had it :)

monkey boy

Jan 13, 2009
london
I have 3 type of tarps, highlander basha, DD 3x3, British military basha
Here my verdict

The British army basha
It is a great size of 8x7 and is plenty enough for 2 people to sleep under, they are built to last a very long time and probably the strongest of tarps as they can be doubled up as a stretcher. The downfalls of the this kit is its made from a slippery material that is annoying to fold and pack away neatly, so the best thing to do is stuff it in its sack and deal with bulk & not to forget to mention its heavy.

The highlander basha
Is one of my most used shelters and I love the thing. Copper_head mentioned its like the web-tex one, that is correct the size and design are pretty much the same but the highlander is not made from rubberised material, it's made from a waterproof ripstop and weighs next to nothing 450g, it can be folded and packed down to the size of my fist, perfect for one person in a hammock or on the ground. It also has press stud buttons on it so it could be folded over into a bivi or to attach another highlander basha to make it bigger, I bought 2 to try this out:)
Downfalls, because of its size that limits how many ways you can set it up (unless you attach two together as mentioned) its plenty big enough for above hammocks, A-frame on the ground and lean to's.

The DD 3x3
Iv just bough one of these and not had a chance to use it. From what I can see it ticks all the boxes for a bushcrafters needs, it's made with care and good quality materials, it's big enough to be set up in so many different configurations.
Downfalls it much heavier and when packed down bulkier than my highlander, but NOT as big & bulky as the British army one, so at least the DD can justify its weight and bulkiness due to the size of tarp you are going to get when you unpack it.

So if I want to travel light and fast, the highlander is my choice.
If I want to be more comfortable at a fixed camp for a few nites the DD is my choice.
If I'm carving in by back garden or one of my friends need a tarp to lend then that's where the British issued tarp in.

I hope helps anyone :)

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
@ Elen: did you buy any of the above? What did you think of the quality?

I'm looking for a good 3x3 tarp for my Xmas list, but it has to be lightweight for me too!

I have a DD3x3 and like it. Was very good in the rain, in fact collected a load of water off it. It shelters the front of my The One tent and gives me some work/cook area. I think I want a bigger one but am holding off FTB, when I've been to a meet or two and seen how other folk do it I'll reonsider ... or not :). I have sufficient of (I think) the right kit to be going on with or I'll end a kit-geek :cool::rolleyes:

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
now i am going to have to do some thing that may through you in to a spin but why not buy a true north outdoors big tart which is 4.5 by 3 and is perfect for every thing

Bilmo has it for me, I don't have the dosh nor can I carry the weight. You did give me a good laugh though with "why not buy a true north outdoors big tart" ... I'm really not of that persuasion, Drew, in any sense :lmao: :lmao: My mind boggles slightly at the possibilities :yikes:

Seoras

Mod
Mod
Oct 7, 2004
Bramley, Hampshire
I am a True North fan. Have had one for years (the big tarp). They are not that heavy and have great coverage. The quality is great as well.

As I originate from the Western Isles does that qualify me as a True North Tart? ;-)

Another good tarp I have had for a long time is the Hennesy Hex. Cheaper than the True North but ample enough to cover all my hammocks. Fairly lightweight as well.

George

little_leaf177

Tenderfoot
Oct 24, 2011
Liverpeewwll
I have myself a few zeltbahns.. theyre like a swedish/norwegian type of tarp (similar to a polish lavvu) But you can get them in canvas and rubberised nylon(ey), waterproof stuff. Ive also found you can use them as a great hammock tarp.. or you can link em up to make a lavvu type tent. best thing is theyre dead cheap too!!!
I have seen a picture of loads of these zelts buttoned together to make a big marquee.. c.b.a with that tho...

I've ready that they were also used in ww2 by them nazi blokes, who used to bomb our chippies (the bas**rds...). other than using them as tarps/tents you can also use them as a poncho. The average german soldiers didnt get issued camo jackets, so they used these poncho's as a form of smock under their webbing to help conceal themselves...

I love using these...i have a pic of mine but im that dim i dont even know how to put a picture up :S sorry chaps (and chapettes)....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE