Which Tarp?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
As a minimum, I'd go 3x3m for a tarp. This gives plenty of admin space and is luxury for ground dwelling shelters. On the diagonal it's big enough to hammock under too, but...

If you are going to use it for hammocking, I'd look at the bigger DD Tarp XL. This is 3 x4.5m and is what I used prior to getting a Superfly.

HTH,

Simon

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
I second that. 3x3 is a good all-round size and the DD tarp is pretty good value. I have one and it works well although perhaps is not as robust as some more expensive ones.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I would also agree, I have a 3x3 and an XL tarp from DD Hamocks, the 3x3 I find a bit short for Hammocking in but will do, the XL find a bit restrictive as far as tree width goes sometimes due to some of the places I hang from, but it is easy to fold down one of the sides, I am thinking about the 4x4 by DD to try out, dont know if any one has any thoughts on that.

Oh and i like the Coyotee brown instead of the green, seems to blend in more then the green , especialy in a fir forest envorioment, where there are more browns... just my opinoin tho

Last edited:

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I love my DD XL as others have said, lots of space for cooking under etc. The highlander seems very similar to my old Web-tex basha at least in terms of size, certainly it does the job but is quite heavy due to its rubberised construction and only really provides space to sleep under.

Also its worth keeping an eye on the DD website clearence section, I got my XL for £17.50!

Gaudette

Aug 24, 2012
Cambs
8x5 would be impractical for your requirements. 3x3 as a minimum. A lot depends on how much you want to spread out and what you want to do underneath it. Also, the number of hanging points will be important.

--------------------------------------------
"If we had some bacon we could have bacon and eggs, if we had some eggs"

Elen Sentier

Thanks everyone, very helpful. The TW stuff looks super cheap, is it good, enought points? Will definitely keep an on DD, everyone seems to like them. Will prob go for an XL as I tend to spread (don't we all? :)) and I certainly intend to cook under it, or at least under the edge of it depending on fire risks. Colour is important to me and I think I agree about the brown but do like camo too. Light is good too if I'm walking between camps.

Thanks again, folks, will have a good mooch about.

copper_head

Feb 22, 2006
Hull
I just so happen to have a pic of a DD XL and a Tenth Wonder next to each other, for your perusal Elen,

dd-tw.jpg
[/IMG]

spandit

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 6, 2011
East Sussex, UK
Tenth Wonder also do a huge 4.5x4.5m tarp (I think). Can't see it on their eBay store but verywildbill has one and I wish I did instead of the DD XL I bought (not that the DD is a bad tarp, it's just that the TW one is bigger and has more attachment points)

Elen Sentier

I just so happen to have a pic of a DD XL and a Tenth Wonder next to each other, for your perusal Elen,

dd-tw.jpg
[/IMG]

Copper-head - Mmmmm ... makes me want to be out there, seeing pix like this :).
Bilmo - don't think I'm up to making my own as yet ... maybe next year.
Spandit - that sounds good, 4.5x4.5m sounds good if the TW is well made, and I like the idea of lots of attachment points.

SimonM

Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
If you like the idea of 4.5 x 4.5m, have a look at the Tatonka range. I have the poly cotton in that size for fixed camps, Scouty stuff etc.

Not the cheapest, but very well made.

SDC14040.jpg

HebdenHey-May2011048.jpg

Simon

Last edited:

bushytoo

Forager
Feb 15, 2012
london
I have the hileberg xp10 tarp very lightweight and feels like balloon rubber, I used it for the first time yesterday and it was ok. Early days yet though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE