which rab bivi

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
I have a special day coming up and my dearest has offered to buy me a posh bivi (I have other army bivis but never had the oppo to try a posh one)

I know they are all a bit 'bling' but can anyone help me decide between the

Rab Alpine Bivi
Rab Superlight Bivi
Rab Assault Bivi
even the Rab Ridge Raider can be got for 20 squids more....

They can all be got for around £150 :eek: but that seems to be a bit cheaper than the Terra Nova ones....

I know the Rab ones are all made from eVent. I have no idea if they have a different facing fabric, I know the Assault is longer with a diagonal zip and the Superlight is slightly wider and the Assault has a bug net....but apart from that they seem all a bit of a muchness really...

Anyone got any experiences of these bivis and which - if any is more 'robust' or any thoughts really.

Of course I am expecting several people to say why bother with a posh bivi......but as I said.....it might even be bought for me :)

LBL

Treemonk

Forager
Oct 22, 2008
Perthshire
Get one with a bug net! I got mobbed by the first midges of the season last weekend and it made me remember I had the job of retro-fitting a bug net to mine yet to do.
Hoops are nice too - and you don't have to pack the hoops so can save weight.

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I've got the Alpine bivvy, though i hasten to say, if it had cost me RRP, i probably would'nt have had it. I'm not saying it's not worth it, but it was in a 50% sale in a bargain shop so i actually got it for £49.99 so it was too good an opportunity to pass up.

I really like it. It's got plenty of room for my bag and mat. It's plenty waterproof but breathable; the water just beads off it. I do usually use it with a tarp as ther is'nt room for my Navigator in there with me. The sides are nice and high so as to allow your bag to remain lofted inside. It does'nt feel as 'robust' as a heavyweight bivvy bag such as an issue one, but it does'nt feel as if you've got to be precious with it either. Still, the pay off is, it rolls up smaller than an issue one and is a HELL of a lot lighter.

I rarely use the zip when i'm in it, preferring to just use the velcro storm flap and even then, not all the way round. After a weekend, it gets washed with Nikwax techwash and reproofed with Nikwax.

It packs up nice and small and fit's into it's own bag, also made of Event. All in all a nice little bag. I've not used any hooped bivvies yet and cannot really see that i will while i use a tarp. Depends what your budget is but, if you can get an Alpine for, say less than a ton, i can't see you being disappointed.

Andy B

Forager
Apr 25, 2004
Belfast
i have a rab storm and its the biz, used it about 25 times in all weathers and seasons.. no hoop but whats the point in paying another 90 quid for a hoop.

Kerne

Maker
Dec 16, 2007
Gloucestershire
I have used the survival zone under my tarp for several years and it has never let me down - plus it's light and cheap!

But I fancy getting the superlight if I can find it at a decent price because you just can't have too much kit...:)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Its getting them at a decent price that's the problem. Its not always the actual price that gets me....its the constantly worrying that something so expensive might get trashed accidentally!

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
I'm not precious with my kit but i do look after it, you would'nt have anything to worry about with any of the Rab bivvies! Cheers for the PM LBL by the way!:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE