Which oil for 01 carbon tool steel?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
As it says in the title just wondering which is best to use. Not looking for a super oil but I have no clue which type to use. Don't really bother with it normally just thought it would reduce rust and corrosion.

Any help much appreciated!

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I use WD40, 3-in-1 type oil, veg oil or even bacon grease...
I have yet to have a blade go rusty on me - though I always force a patina on Carbon Steel as soon as I can - which also helps avoid rust.

Not letting your knife have too long a rest between usages also helps :)

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
Thanks for the help chaps :)!

I have veg oil, WD40 and lots of rags to hand so ill have a try with different ones and see which I like best :).

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Its just a moisture barrier so you either keep it dry or keep it water resistance ;)
Either way its hard to avoid a good patina without lots of wasted time polishing or very little use.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
I'm a wee bit more up market than veg oil, it's tesco's "ground nut oil" for me, as thats what I use. Veg oil is fine, especially if your planning using your O1 carbon blade for food prep and or eating. For applying the veg oil an oily rag is the way to go, and again veg oil is safe, so no issues stowing the veg oil rag in a trouser pocket, there's heath issues associated with prolonged exposure to mineral and some synthetic oils, "particularly bad for a man"; as my old granny would say ;)

WD40 and similar is good for cleaning up steel, but it evaporates surprisingly quickly, if you do use WD and plan to stow the item, wipe off the WD after cleaning and wipe down with lub oil, 3:1 (or veg oil) etc as that'll protect it far longer.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Anything acidic will work Will, wrap in a vinegar soaked rag for a few hours for really dark or just cut up a lemon and leave it for a bit. Tomato sauce is good for making patterns :)

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
i just dry my knife before I sheath it and use it frequently enough to not worry about real rust. I don't think I've oiled or removed rust from my knife in the 7 years I've been using it, but then it is a forged finished one and that tends not to rust so much anyway :p

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
now veg oil is fine as long as you use your knife quite often as i find it tends to gum up after any length of time, for that reason i use WD40 for short periods less than 40 days or thicker engine oil bike chain oil type for a longer period...

horses for courses and all that though...;)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE