Which oil do you use

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Jun 1, 2015
In the Kent woods
Hi I've just started getting into spoon carving and was wondering which oil to use to season the spoons bearing in mind I will be using with food
Thanks for any information

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Just Walnut straight from the bottle for me; works as well as many more expensive and time-consuming alternatives and you can be sure it's food safe.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Walnut oil. Keep your eye open for a long thin jar like you get some posh jam in or olives, big enough to put a spoon in, soaking overnight saves a lot of rubbing in.

ATB

Tom

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
I have carved 70 spoons and 30 forks as kitchen prep tools. I got bored and quit.
They all got an oven baked, olive oil finish which takes more than several years to wash off, if you are so inclined.
The whole notion that olive oil will go rancid is smoke and hooey = when soaked down into the wood fiber.
You must re-heat my carvings to more than 350F to get the oil to move.

Sure, walnut oil will be entirely fine. My Dad used it in oil painting because it oxidized so rapidly.
Oven-baked, ought to be just fine.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Walnut oil does give a lovely finish. An alternative that avoids the nut allergy conundrum is flax seed oil (a.k.a. edible linseed oil). The latter has the added advantage of not going rancid over time.

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
walnut oil, rapeseed oil, olive oil - pretty much any of the oils used for food you can find in your supermarket depending on the colour/darkness you are looking for.

I make up my own mixture of beeswax and oil which is food safe and gives a lovely glossy finish when buffed.

mousey

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2010
NE Scotland
Walnut oil. Keep your eye open for a long thin jar like you get some posh jam in or olives, big enough to put a spoon in, soaking overnight saves a lot of rubbing in.]

I like that idea. I'm going to steal that :) one of those 'why didn't I think of that!"

Oh I use walnut oil as well.

Robson Valley

Nov 24, 2014
McBride, BC
The oven baking process uses Charle's Law (gas physics).
Paint the wood with oil. Into a preheated 325F oven for 3'30".
Out to cool = done deal, good for years.

At room temp, the oil in wood can be pushed out by air expansion in hot soup.
Upon cooling, the soup gets sucked into the wood (the Charles Law Effect).
The subsequent decomposition makes very old wooden spoon appear blackened like a compost heap.

Armleywhite

Nomad
Apr 26, 2008
Leeds
www.motforum.com
Personally, I don't use any oils on the spoons I use and I tend to use most on a near daily fashion. I use them for mixing food in the pans, I wash them up in the sink after and I store them in a container on my kitchen top. Over time they wear down and I make new ones. Never oiled any of them and never had an issue.

Herbalist1

Settler
Jun 24, 2011
North Yorks
Regarding rancidity, olive oil is one of the most stable vegetable oils. Raw linseed however will go rancid very quickly!
As a herbalist I use both of these extensively - and only get linseed (flaxseed) oil or whole seeds in small quantities because they just don't keep!
Boiled linseed oil is another matter, stable and great for tool handles but not general food safe as it contains a drying agent.
Id agree with the chap who used olive oil and oven baked it into his carved items that need to be foods safe.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE