Lee Enfield oil bottle

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
I have just purchased a Lee Enfield brass oil bottle. I'm hoping to be able to use with some form of food grade oil as a multipurpose item. I've seen a few posts online of people getting metal oil bottles and burning the old oil out. I'm reluctant to do this with brass in case it damages it anyone got any ideas on how to clean out any old oil residue if there is still such inside the bottle when I receive it

John Elstob

Forager
Aug 18, 2019
Darlington
Do you mean the little cylindrical brass tube with a screw-in top and 'oiler' spatula? Personally, I'd keep it for using just with machine or gun oil; they're are lovely pieces to have :)

Yep that’s the one. I saw a you tube vid ‘MCQ Bushcraft’ and he had walnut oil in his used for maintenance of any carbon steel tools mainly but could cook with it if needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mesquite

It is what it is.
Mar 5, 2008
~Hemel Hempstead~
If you really want to use it for food grade oils (personally I'm with Broch) you can rinse it out thoroughly with white spirits or similar.

After that then give it a damn good washing out followed by boiling it multiple times until you don't see any oil sheen on the water or smell it.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
My only caveat about brass is that it in itself can leach into the oil.
If it's arsenical brass (usually rather shiny) then that can be a problem. Arsenical brass is more resistant to water. Which is why Indian brass teapots are tinned inside.

cheers,
Toddy

Reactions: Macaroon

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you mean the little cylindrical brass tube with a screw-in top and 'oiler' spatula? Personally, I'd keep it for using just with machine or gun oil; they're are lovely pieces to have :)
Mine is under the brass hatch in the butt of my No 4 mk II ;). Along with a pull through & some "four by two"

Lee Enfield No.4 MkII by British Red, on Flickr

dean4442

Nov 11, 2004
Wokingham UK
British Red why do you have to show me lovely things like that!! Now I've got to stop myself looking at auction sites, although personally I want the sniper version with the cut down front woodwork!!

Reactions: British Red

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
British Red why do you have to show me lovely things like that!! Now I've got to stop myself looking at auction sites, although personally I want the sniper version with the cut down front woodwork!!
I actually have all the fittings to make it into a No 4 (T). I also have a complete set of foresights and armourers tools to zero it at any range. Then there's 50 stripper clips, 20 original magazines, both original patterns of bayonets, sheaths and frogs & even some original 1943 headstamp ammunition and a whole bunch more. It's an absolute mad collection.

Reactions: ESpy

Kav

Nomad
Mar 28, 2021
California
I HAD a Smelly from 1914- three sight systems including volley, magazine cutoff for controlled firing, a barbed wire cutter and long bayonet for parrying Prussian lancers on horseback. I also had a Birmingham best grade commercial with three leaf sites.
Both went to a noted collector. He shared his collection of Lee-Metfords from the 1890s.
Curious, Berdan primers and the later rifling were American but we went with Boxer primers. He also had rare explosive and incendiary rounds used against the zeppelins.
It’s more a Canadian round and was chambered in the Ross rifle and 1895 Winchester.
A Scottish tail gunner in Lancasters
Is credited with 9 night fighters. He loaded only AP and Incendiary; to track his burst and let the Germans know he was on to them. They developed a maneuver that dropped the Lanc and exposed the German to the tail and dorsal guns instead of unprotected belly.
Idiot at the range laughed at my Only 10 round ‘ haystack farmers’ bolt gun. I put 10 rounds rapid fire into the black @ 50 meters before he got his damned AR15 to shoulder.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE