Which knots for tarp and hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
I just have a standard DD Travel Hammock and tarp.

I am trying to find a guide for the right knots to use for each of these.

The first knot seems straight forward. An Evenk or Falconer's Hitch seem to be used often.

But I can't work out which knot I should use to tie the second end and tension the line at the other end. Redheadcobweb mentions a "power cinch" and I've learned to tie it, but is that the best one? At the moment I have not got a a metal loop or a caribiner so I cannot use the method I have seen on a Ray Mears Video on YouTube, which is also the one in the sticky guide.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

James

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Is this for your tarp James ? A truckers hitch at the other end is good for getting some tension

If you google animated knots you should get Grogs website with some good info

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
Hello, yes this is for my tarp and also for my hammock.

I've learned some knots from animated knots, but am not sure what the best to use would be - theres just so many to choose from.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Hello, yes this is for my tarp and also for my hammock.

I've learned some knots from animated knots, but am not sure what the best to use would be - theres just so many to choose from.

For your hammock you really need to get some rings or carabiners, these then act as drip rings to stop rain getting into your hammock. If you do get some then the method in Bushblades tutorial is pretty much bombproof.

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
I use Uncle Rays' favourite, the evenk knot for the tarp ridgeline on both ends. You can tension the second end with the knot if you double wrap the tree and cinch it down without letting it slip. The knot really shows its worth when its solid with ice or using cold fingers and comes undone really easily with one hand. Its also works well for the hammock.

As Rich said, you ideally need to find a way to stop the rain running down the suspension lines-the stock DD webbing wicks water like mad and using drip lines won't stop the travel getting damp at the ends, even though its waterproof.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
Thanks folks,

I will be going out to get caribiners later, but don't have enough "strong webbing" to tie loops to the hammock, as well as some to tie to the tree.

I do have some of the DD Hammocks "light webbing" but I'm not sure if it's good enough to hold my 110kg frame.
This is the light webbing: http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/cordage/light-webbing
Any idea if it's strong enough?

This is so much more complicated than simply "tie the hammock up" which I was going to do.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Thanks folks,

I will be going out to get caribiners later, but don't have enough "strong webbing" to tie loops to the hammock, as well as some to tie to the tree.

See if you can get 10m of climbing rated webbing, tubular preferably from the carabiner shop. Cut that 10m in half and use 5m at each end of the hammock, that's pretty much what Will shows in the tutorial.

jamesk

Mar 21, 2011
Reigate
Thanks guys.

I went and got the caribiners, but didn't manage to get any webbing. I'll try and get some from eBay :)

Millets, High Sports Centre, Snow and Rock, Homebase, local hardware store. No luck.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE