Which knife maker

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ecobandit

Tenderfoot
Dec 28, 2007
northumberland
hello good morning and welcome! very provocative first post and no clearcut answer but I would opt for mora clipper,although my own creations are far superior to anything I could purchase but of course thats my opinion!:rolleyes:

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Depends on what you want really....& how much you can afford to spend.

I have a Stuart Mitchell knife and love it to bits. But the road to that knife was long and rocky....I made some some mistakes in knife style and eventually settled on a Mora as it was only £8...my cheapest knife ever! The mora will do most (all? battoning?) things that my Stu M will, and cost a fraction of the price.

I also have a small Singeblister knife, which I have only just aquired, to use as a neck knife...yet to be used in anger as I have only just got the sheath, but first impressions are very good.

I also have "played"with a couple of Bernie Garland's "Bushcrafter" knives and am very impressed with those too. In fact I have one at the moment, for a week, and intend to give it a few tests this weekend.

No single answer I'm afraid (3 from me alone!). You will get as many "best choices" on here as there are members! :rolleyes:

Simon

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
What do you think is the best knife maker for price qaulity and other qaulities?

If you want a dispasionate objective answer then the big factories like Frosts of Sweden who make the Mora amongst many others are superb quality blades at an incredibly cheap price. They are perhaps a little soulless but I love them for what they are.

Many folk enjoy having something with a little more character and perhaps handmade by someone they have met or talked to. Now it starts to get a lot more subjective, how do you judge the pleasure of using such a knife? A lot of it comes down to the experience of choosing what you want and having that feeling that it is special. Stu Mitchel has clearly got that process bang on and everyone feels they have been involved and have something special. Bernie Garland is another maker, very different person and it does matter if you get on. I have seen some lovely knives made by makers on here and on British Blades, if you like full tang Dougster has done some beauties, there are many more and I hope no one will take offence that I have mentioned a few names but not theirs, I don't see bad knives for sale, its just a question of what you like and what you will do with it. Alan Wood obviously is great quality but you have to wait. My personal thing is for scandinavian blades. I love a hand forged 3 layer laminate, far better than any woodlore clone for the work that 99% of these knives get used for 99.9% of the time. A cheap Finish puuko is hard to beat. Or make your own with bits from BRISA, it is easy and fun.

woof

Apr 12, 2008
lincolnshire
Hi there,
As has already been said, what a question !. There are so many different styles, and a huge wealth of knife making talent on this site and BB, where to start ?.

I've never had a mora, but they get good reviews and the price is right, you have got to look listen try and buy, you'll buy some turkeys over the years but it will be fun learning !.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Then there are the knife builders, people who buy blades and turn them into things of beauty.

Jedidiah has really shown some beautiful stuff lately,

G4GHB has some corkers on his photobucket too.

Rancid Badger has done really some nice ones

There are a few here, and as they do it for the love they don't have overheads to pay and can save money.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Depends on what you want really....& how much you can afford to spend.

I have a Stuart Mitchell knife ......I also have a small Singeblister knife, which I have only just aquired, to use as a neck knife...yet to be used in anger as I have only just got the sheath, but first impressions are very good. ..........I also have "played"with a couple of Bernie Garland's "Bushcrafter" knives

That would be my choice of three "from scratch" makers as well.

I have three of Stuart's (all made to my own designs) and one of Singeblisters (as I fell in love with his weirdly shaped Hornet). I also have a Bernie Garland bushcrafter which I find to be a fascinating and original design and Bernie made one up for me with a tapered tang.

My attitude is forget the price if one of these guys is making something for you - buy what you really want - you will have it forever and none of them will rip you off.

Red

EdS

That would be my choice of three "from scratch" makers as well.

I have three of Stuart's (all made to my own designs) and one of Singeblisters (as I fell in love with his weirdly shaped Hornet). I also have a Bernie Garland bushcrafter which I find to be a fascinating and original design and Bernie made one up for me with a tapered tang.

My attitude is forget the price if one of these guys is making something for you - buy what you really want - you will have it forever and none of them will rip you off.

Red

Just about sums it up. Add Robin's comments about Mora and nail and head spring to mind.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
or make one yourself, if you buy a decent high quality blade blank (Sing, Stu M, Bernie etc) which are excellent value for money its really quite straight forward to hobble together with basic tools a full tang knife. Check out BB

brancho

Feb 20, 2007
Whitehaven Cumbria
Due to the expense of what I wanted I made my own after buying Frost clipper (which is great and I still use).

I no longer want that original knife as I dont think it suits what I want now. I love the laminated scandi I have now.

Tiley

Life Member
Oct 19, 2006
Gloucestershire
Kick off with a Frost's Mora but, at the same time, put in an order for one of Rod Garcia's Skookum Bush Tools in the steel of your choice. By the time it arrives, you'll have clocked a really useful stack of experience and will be able to get the best from these superb knives. Apart from the wait, the rate of exchange won't be doing you many favours at the moment but I still reckon that the SBT is worth both the cash AND the wait.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE