Which Headlight

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
Well here is a question to get you thinking. Even though it is a simple one.

What I am looking for is a relativly inexpensive (6 Needed) but robust (4 Children) Headlight.

I am looking for experienced users opinions on what is a good product.

Just so you know I took a quick look on Evilbay and found a plethora of cheap lights. But with no pedigree to recomend them I could be wasting my money.

Over to you (The great masses) :D

jdlenton

Dec 14, 2004
Northampton
hi Dave well not cheap but they will last and last "petzel tika XP" can't be beaten IMO and if mine is like the petzel i bought 15 years ago ( i retired it only a couple of months ago for the tika) it will do me until I'm in my 50's

James

beamdune

Oct 14, 2005
Manchester
Not used one personally but Alpkit (www.alpkit.com) LED heads torches may fit the bill. £4.99 each - they look pretty basic and chunky but are well regarded for the price (see outdoorsmagic.com and ukclimbing.com for reviews)

Don't get distracted looking at their new titanium range though.

RAPPLEBY2000

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 2, 2003
England
Princeton Tec Yukon head torch.

you can't go wrong!

has a strong normal bulb for long distance work and 3 LED's for close long life (100+ hours) work i have used mine for about 2 years now it's 100% waterproof and spot on for nearly everything i have done!

very good torch!

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
I use the petzl zipka, same light unit as the tikka but with a different head band, and can't reccomend it enough. I think if it is for kids the tikka might be a better bet, as the headband is less distracting the tikka having a straightforward elasticated band and the zipka an extending "string". My six year old uses the zipka without a problem, except playing with the string :rolleyes: .

neo_wales2000

Tenderfoot
Dec 6, 2004
wales uk
My son and I use really cheap ones off ebay, think I paid £2.50 with postage (each), used for over a year, no problems at all. The main difference between these and a Petzl is about £25 cash :eek:

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
I would vote for the Petzl Tika too. Had it for years in all weather and abused it a lot. Still works and is very reliable. I know its on the expensive side but well worth it in my opinion. It's also very light, pardon the pun, so doesn't weigh you down and it uses AAA betteries and they last for ages. What more can I say!

mercury

Forager
Jan 27, 2004
East Yorkshire England
I have one of the alpkit head torches and its ok for under a fiver, I have managed to break part of the harness, the loop on the baseplate that the top harness strap goes through but htats not a huge problem as the torch itself is light weight. I have used it considerably throughout the winter months during my marathon training, not changed the batterys yet and am basically impressed.

I also have one of the "wee airic" inflating mattresses. Also good kit at £15 ish

How do these guys make a living ?

Dave Farrant

Forager
Apr 16, 2003
Lancashire
Thank you all very much.

This has been a great help.

In Conclusion then....
For me... the expensive one
For my Wife...the good looking one
For my children (4 of them) the light ones (probably without string)

Wish me luck :D

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
Get yourself down to the local aldi - register for emails on the .co.uk site - they do a 5 led cracker, very much like the tikka in black for £3.99. I'm impressed.

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
I have two of these and can recommend them 100% Ok, maybe 99.9% :D

eos1.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE