Which Hammock?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
May 21, 2005
dublin ireland
Hi guys i was wondering if anyone could recommend a good hammock there seems to be plenty on the web but its hard to know what to choose id appreciate any input on this

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Plenty to go at like you said, what sort of budget do you have ?

You could spend anything from £15 for a Tenth Wonder up to $300 for a fancy US one.

From experience I can recommend the Nomad Travel Tropical XL, or the Nomads Land XXL, I've got a couple from the states too which are gonna take some beating for me now. The Warbonnet Blackbird is superb but my new Jacks r Better Bridge is a whole new level of comfort.

Where are you planning to use it ? Are there many flying bitey things about ?

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
Shewie, I'm way more tempted by the Warbonnet traveller. The fact that you always have that damn bugnet on the blackbird really turns me off it. Do like the idea of a footbox however! Looks like it'd come in very handy with a lie with lots of sag.

Do like the idea of a bridge hammock too - that looks pretty comfy! Got time off near the end of the month so I'm going to try and make my own hammock :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The net's not too much of a bother really mate, you can unzip it all the way down one side and flip it over the ridge line out of the way if you like. The footbox is a cracking idea and the shelf is dead handy too. If anything the 1.7 double is a bit on the heavy side, I bought it off a pal over here but if I was gonna buy one new I'd probably go for the 1.0 double.
Gailainne made his own version of the BMBH which was very tidy, mkII is supposed to be even better so I've been told, maybe give him a shout and see if he's got any pointers for you.

We'll have to get together at some point and I'll bring my toys up for you to have a play.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
I'd go for a Nomads in the first instance Nigel.

I'm happy with mine in all respects.

I had problems with my DD ones re: netting tore very easily and condensation issues.

JonathanD

Ophiological Genius
Sep 3, 2004
Stourton,UK
I can also recommend the Exped Scout Combi. You can sometimes get it at half price too if you search around, which is an absolute bargain.

W0lf

Tenderfoot
Apr 27, 2009
London
I have the Clark NX250 and think it's a cracking piece of kit (if a little pricey for shipping it over). The biggest plus for the Clark (IMO) relative to some others is the additional weathershield that can be stowed away if needs be and also the added ability to use is as a complete bivvy bag (think Snugpak Strat) for when the trees go missing (never actually done that yet so I sure there's something I'm missing that will need a rethink).

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree
The net's not too much of a bother really mate, you can unzip it all the way down one side and flip it over the ridge line out of the way if you like. The footbox is a cracking idea and the shelf is dead handy too. If anything the 1.7 double is a bit on the heavy side, I bought it off a pal over here but if I was gonna buy one new I'd probably go for the 1.0 double.
Gailainne made his own version of the BMBH which was very tidy, mkII is supposed to be even better so I've been told, maybe give him a shout and see if he's got any pointers for you.

We'll have to get together at some point and I'll bring my toys up for you to have a play.

Yes mate that would be ideal. A hammocking BCUK meet would be cool. I saw a tutorial for a hammock with a footbox on hammockforums but couldn't wrap my head round it - would love to see the warbonnet in person to understand whats going on.

EastSussexScout

Tenderfoot
Feb 27, 2010
Brighton
there are a lot of people on here that reccomend the DD frontline and Travel hammocks but in my opinion, unless you're camping right next to a scottish lake or summin, you can't go wrong with a DD camping hammock, i've done weeks in the woods in mine and never had any problems with cold, breezes, condensation or insect bites. you get a lot more than you pay for IMHO

DS1150

Tenderfoot
Jul 27, 2010
London
I've spent about 20 nights so far in my Nomads Land XXL hammock and love it. It was quite cheap, breathable, huge and comfortable. I've also got a DD travel hammock which is sturdier, heavier and has a built in net for insects which can be really useful in certain instances. I like the DD for the design and the looks of it but love the Nomads Land for simplicity and pack size: you could easily throw it in a daysack, take it to the park without a 2nd thought and laze away a summer day. The DD on the other hand is a fair bit bigger to pack.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE