which Gransfor axe please

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

BILLy

Apr 16, 2005
NORTH WALES
Hi all,
I am looking to buy an axe, I will be using it for general work like chopping small wood for my chimney and for gardening like pea sticks, I also do a lot of hunting so things like making hides etc. I like the look of the mini hatchet, would this be the best choice? Also where is the cheapest place to buy them from?

Thanks for your kind replies

Bill

Wilderbeast

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
I'd tend towards the small forest axe if I were you, it's more versatile to use than the mini hatchet, but just as easy to use one handed, www.raymears.com has good prices but certainly not the best....can't help there!

redandshane

Native
Oct 20, 2007
Batheaston
I am sure others more qualifed than me will come along
But the basic stuff you mention could be done with any old axe however for the hunting stuff ; and if you do a lot ,you would be best with a hunters axe
You may also want to look at Wetterlings axes which can work out a bit less spendy for a good quality axe
I have a Wetterlings hunters axe and its a fine tool
British Reds the man to ask about axes on this forum and he hunts too I believe

helixpteron

Native
Mar 16, 2008
UK
I found the GB Mini to be practical, light and lovely!
happy0034.gif

I bought mine from these good people (at the Wealddown Museum) whom currently have them for £59:00, which includes VAT and delivery.

dsc07916690-2.jpg

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem
- What kind of hunting do you do? If it's mainly small game, the hunters axe might be overkill - since the rounded poll is only useful in skinning larger, tougher hides like Moose. I do all skinning work with the knife and hands.

I like the Gransfors stuff myself and own -in that category- the hatchet, the small forest axe and the swedish forest axe. I noticed that after arrival of the swedish forest axe, the small forest axe did not get much use anymore. Most one handed tasks can also be done with the swedish forest axe. For delicate work like roughing out spoons or chipping away at a bow stave - the hatchet is off course better suited. Apart from the pack size - the small forest axe does not hold any advantage for me. So - given that Gransfors is an option - I would opt for either the Wildlife hatchet or the Swedish forest axe.

squantrill

Nomad
Mar 28, 2008
The Never lands!
www.basiclife.eu
I have the mini and the small forest. and I find most of the time for chopping wood for the home fire I use a cheap kitchen axe!!

The mini in my view is great its good for small stuff and can replace a knife.

The small forest is also good but for bigger stuff anyhow this is my uses

1 General kitchen stuff wood fire in/out cheap kitchen axe
2. To carry around camp instead of knife mini
3. To take when im in a forest chopping down smallish trees Small forest

Simon

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Hi Billy

In the UK, certainly North Wales you won't be hacking away and felling big trees, so a small axe will be fine. To be honest, a folding saw and knife to batton with will do the job most of the time, a bow saw (cost about a fiver) will cut wood quicker than an axe.

I

Ironclad

Hello - i'd lean to the Small Forest axe as well, having owned one now for a good few years.. its a craking piece of kit, big enough to cope and small enough to not be too wieldy... :)

Hiho neighbour

I own a GB Hunters axe, I wanted the Small Forest Axe but they only had the Hunters in, and me being the impatient type I took it. Roughly about the same size as the SFA but with a smooth poll and a different handle, in a word, lovely. It's a joy to use, haven't skinned anything with it but it has done it's fair share of chopping, splitting and some light hammering(a wooden support in a bothy, long story)

I can thoroughly recommend it, big enought to handle bigger jobs, but small enough to fit in the bergen, and it's slightly lighter than the SFA too.

Good luck in choosing an axe and hope this helps

Sleepy

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
SFA are rubbish at splitting wood, they can do it but not easily. The outdoor axe from gransfors looks to be a useful tool. It will both cut and split well and is similar size to the wildlife hatchet.

http://www.raymears.com/Bushcraft_Product/689-Gransfors-Outdoor-Axe/

If you do go for a SFA or similar then it may be a good idea to buy the £5 argos axe too for splitting at home. It does a really good job of it and is decent steel. It does not come with an edge though.

Marsdijk

Oct 13, 2008
Veenendaal
I have quite a collection of Gransofrs axes,
every axe has it's own benefits.
I thing for yoyr use a one handed exe will be fine.
For chopping I would prefer the wildlife hatched or hunters axe or the small forest axe.
The last one is slightly havier but a very nici tool to work with. The mini axe has not enough weight to chop preperly.

I order them directly in Sweden

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
SFA are rubbish at splitting wood, they can do it but not easily. The outdoor axe from gransfors looks to be a useful tool. It will both cut and split well and is similar size to the wildlife hatchet.

Really?! Never had problems splitting with my SFA but I'd agree that it does need a good edge to remain 100% effective, was it a particular wood you tested it on so I can check it out??
cheers
wil

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Really?! Never had problems splitting with my SFA but I'd agree that it does need a good edge to remain 100% effective, was it a particular wood you tested it on so I can check it out??
cheers
wil

Any. Its the thin bit that is the problem it cuts into rather than forces apart the wood. Yes it will split wood ok, but nowhere near as efficiently or effectively as one with a wider bit or flaring cheeks. The argos axe is the best hand axe ( barring purpose built splitters) for splitting i have come across yet.

Wilderbeast

Dec 9, 2008
Essex-Cardiff
Any. Its the thin bit that is the problem it cuts into rather than forces apart the wood. Yes it will split wood ok, but nowhere near as efficiently or effectively as one with a wider bit or flaring cheeks. The argos axe is the best hand axe ( barring purpose built splitters) for splitting i have come across yet.

I guess the thin head is the price you pay for an axe that does more than just split, each to their own!!

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I guess the thin head is the price you pay for an axe that does more than just split, each to their own!!

I have 5 gransfors axes, an argos axe, a Bahco maul, an axe i handled and restored myself and another in process of being restored. It is through experience with other axes that you will see the difference.

I have no problem with the SFA, in fact it is the axe i take out with me. My splitting in the field is done mostly with a knife and baton. The argos axe once given some attention will cut as well as any gransfors but will still split better than the SFA and WH. When you have had a few axes Will, the difference will be apparent.

The outdoor axe from gransfors looks to have a thin bit, i do not think it will have a problem performing the tasks required of an axe the size of the wildlife, and then some.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE