Which gas stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Hi folks,

You may remember in an earlier thread I was wondering about which liquid fuels were popular with our stoves. I just cannot get on with the smell from them. I put unleaded petrol in my msr dragonfly tonight and the smell is not impressive.

So i've decided to get a cannister gas stove. As I like my msr for quality, I was looking at their stuff and found a very interesting new stove. It's called the Windpro. Different from the others where the cannister sits under the stove, this one has the fuel cannister away from the stove ... this leads to less risk of toppling over when cooking or if it's windy. I think it seems to be a very good idea.

msr-windpro.jpg

What do you think? If it's a no - tell me about your favourite gas stove!

Cheers,
Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Un-leaded petrol will smell, its not very pure and full of additives and fumes that can really mess up your lungs, so, go down you local motor spare shop and buy 5 litres of panel wipe, its purer fuel with little or no smell which burns cleaner.

Their are lots of little profane, sorry, propane stoves around, and although I hate to admit it, all burn pretty hot and well. The main drawbacks are of course the poor performance when the temperature drops, and those bloody empty cans you have to carry home :rolleyes:

Reactions: Roefisher
Sep 19, 2006
Gloucester
Can't comment on that particular stove, but I've had a cheap unbranded one of that style and the hose broke and I had a flamethrower to deal with :( So if only for the potential of hose damage I personally wouldnt get one like that again.

I currently use a coleman F1 lite stove which is teeny and light but seems perfectly powerful (I have boil times for 1 and 2L of water in a kettle in still outdoor conditions - back garden - somewhere, hmmm).

I also have the coleman F1 lite lantern which is also very very tiny and light, but don't expect anywhere near as much light as a full sized lantern

for gas cylinders I normally take 1 or 2 of the little 100s they weigh almost nothing when empty. If I'm car camping we tend to have a decent bbq/fire to boil/cook things on but I take a 500 cylinder in case weather gets us stuck in the tent porches to cook, and a 250 cylinder for the lantern

have also experimented succesfully with those little sachets of greenheat ethanol gel in a little aluminium tin (about the size of a little mr kipling cake tin but quite solid) - again I have boil times somewhere and how much gel it uses.

oh, and I've recently bought some plastic 'legs' that fit the 100 canisters to make the stove more stable! http://www.backpackinglight.co.uk/product153.asp
They literally arrived yesterday so I've not had a chance to try them yet, sorry!

That's more than enough talking about stoves, sorry :(

Tantalus

May 10, 2004
Galashiels
Oooooh unleaded petrol bad idea mate

Before you sell it try filling with coleman fluid or even a tin of zippo (no not the real zippo but one of the swan or ronson lookalikes they are half the price)

Yes lighter petrol and coleman fluid are insanely expensive in this country compared to the US or Europe even

But the energy to weight ratio make it a nice fuel for stoves so for an occasional brew in the woods or on the riverbank it isnt too expensive really

and if anyone can find large quantities (only a liter or 2 honest) of petroleum distillate I would be glad to hear where I can buy some.

Panel wipe by all accounts is not recommended although it burns in a multifuel stove

Trying desperately to remember the name of the stove enthusiast forum

http://www.spiritburner.com/

Thanks google

Tant

QDanT

Settler
Mar 16, 2006
Yorkshire England
Roefisher said:
Hi folks,

You may remember in an earlier thread I was wondering about which liquid fuels were popular with our stoves. I just cannot get on with the smell from them. I put unleaded petrol in my msr dragonfly tonight and the smell is not impressive.

So i've decided to get a cannister gas stove. As I like my msr for quality, I was looking at their stuff and found a very interesting new stove. It's called the Windpro. Different from the others where the cannister sits under the stove, this one has the fuel cannister away from the stove ... this leads to less risk of toppling over when cooking or if it's windy. I think it seems to be a very good idea.

msr-windpro.jpg

Cheers,
Mark
THIS IS ONLY A SUGESTION YOU PLAY WITH GAS AT YOUR OWN RISK
JUST LIKE YOU DO WITH PETROL !
If you look at the photo you see the gas supply tube passes through the burner
this is the preheater stage so once the stove is lit you can carefully turn the gas cylinder upside down I have x3 plastic legs rubber banded on.This delivers liquid gas, which is only a hydrocarbon the same as petrol, as far as the preheater where it changes to a gas this enables the stove to run in - temperatures where normally the butane in the gas mix would not evaporate.So you get the gas mix in the cannister down towards -40 the boiling point of propane
For £15 I found this a great stove
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Compact-alpin...hZ005QQcategoryZ16036QQtcZphotoQQcmdZViewItem
just my 2p worth

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Here's the same idea only from Optimus, called the Stella+.
OptimusStella.jpg

I've ordered the MSR Windpro. Then I went and saw the Nova+ ... another slippery slope :eek:

Mark

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
I like the MSR Dragonfly. Any liquid fuel will work (Alchohol, kerosene, even oil or gasoline). Heats up easily, almost anywhere, and is easily controlled. Not cheap, but for the price? Worth every penny :D

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Roefisher said:
Hi folks,

msr-windpro.jpg

Cheers,
Mark

Have you tried alchohol rather than petrol?

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
OzaawaaMigiziNini said:
Have you tried alchohol rather than petrol?

No, but I am going to try another fuel recommendation later today. Despite the fact that the gas cannisters are handy, my heart lies with the liquid fuel stoves ... so i'm determined to get a good non repulsive smelling fuel.

I have the MSR Dragonfly, but couldn't resist the Nova+ after reading all the reviews and comments about them. I have all the restraint of a fox in a chicken house

:lmao:

Mark

stephendedwards

Tenderfoot
Dec 26, 2006
Wales
The nova is brilliant although my magic needle stuck on it second outing and I had to replace the jet. Nevertheless a small and very powerful bit of kit. my preference is to use it and to carry a Trangia ( you need the pots anyway) that way you have a full kitchen for the additional weight of the trangia burner and a bit of fuel.

Stephen

Roefisher said:
No, but I am going to try another fuel recommendation later today. Despite the fact that the gas cannisters are handy, my heart lies with the liquid fuel stoves ... so i'm determined to get a good non repulsive smelling fuel.

I have the MSR Dragonfly, but couldn't resist the Nova+ after reading all the reviews and comments about them. I have all the restraint of a fox in a chicken house :lmao:

Mark

underground

May 31, 2005
Sheffield
Hi mark, I can't comment personally on the windpro, but for several years I've been using a very similar MSR stove called the Whisperlite Rapide - it's just like the Whisperlite Internationale 600 burner, but with a brass braided hose that runs to a screw on gas bottle. A very fine bit of kit indeed for it's simplicity, compactness and maintainability, but with much more control than an on/off liquid fuel stove and more stable than a canister mounted burner.

I reckon it's nice to have the option - for quick trips and so on I'll always use the gas, and generally it'll be the one I choose when i want control over the flame.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
Depends on the situation for me: I have a twin-burner calor gas stove for base camp, a Karrimor Go gas stove as a back up, a jet-boil for alpine mountaineering, and a very small titanium stove for mountain marathons.

I love my MSR XGK multifuel best of all but, these days, it can be very difficult to travel with it - especially on aircraft.

I have to say, I love the convenience of gas - although it can be a bit sputtery at low temps.

Your stove choice looks very nice and should work a treat in most situations - it looks a lot like the Karrimor one I have. Do you have a windshield for it? If not, I would whole-heartedly recommend that you either buy or build one (out of thick tin foil).

Oh, and I know I might upset a few people by saying this but I really dislike Trangias :sad6: . Used to have one when I was younger and I didn't get on with it at all.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE