Help to ID a primus stove please

• Thread starter Deleted member 56886
  • Start date
  • Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
D

Deleted member 56886

Hi folks, wondering if anyone out there can help me identify this primus stove I picked up at a bootsale yesterday.

I was told its an omnifuel, came with an MSR 30oz fuel bottle, has a jet marked 3.5 installed, comes with a spare jet marked 2.8. I've researched as much as I can and come up with it's either mk1 or mk 2.

Hope you can help, so I know which jet is for which fuel and which servicing kit I should get.

Many thanks
0afff2680c3a9bafbef3ef1afa793a1a.jpg
e4bb6544a9e968cb7222c48549d95fe3.jpg
406802647b2f82a1656dc0549a29afc7.jpg
44fc6ce8afe59cc02f4af39badeee992.jpg
6046e74d6e246e3983f7692a3337c01c.jpg
b6908f5f5195ec2295b894f7e3f9d489.jpg
5213cd61e979ac33b7cd64ba92119e7e.jpg
75f29630ae685842db8ae7c1fea8e7f9.jpg

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
I believe that is an Omnifuel 1 - but the jet use is the same for this and the later stove:

28 (0.28mm) - kerosene, diesel
37 (0.37mm) - white gas, Colman fuel, unleaded petrol

I'm not sure, but I think the larger jet (.45mm) for propane/butane gas, only came with the later Mk II

D

Deleted member 56886

I believe that is an Omnifuel 1 - but the jet use is the same for this and the later stove:

28 (0.28mm) - kerosene, diesel
37 (0.37mm) - white gas, Colman fuel, unleaded petrol

I'm not sure, but I think the larger jet (.45mm) for propane/butane gas, only came with the later Mk II
Great, thankyou

Diesel is what I was planning on using, so I need to change the jet. I've not used or owned one of these before, so I assume as diesel doesn't just burn with a naked flame, I'll need a drop of alcohol as a pre heater?

D

Deleted member 56886

TBH it's probably a lot easier to find a 'high alcohol' small hand sanitiser gel dispenser these days - they work really well :)
I have a load of them left over from the last few years, been looking for a use for them

Big Si

Dec 27, 2005
nottinghamshire
It was marketed as the Primus Himalaya stove. I have one somewhere in my collection, comes with two jets as standard IIRC.

Si

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
MFS instructions
Also loads of info on the Classic camp stoves forum

Attachments

• manual mfs eng.pdf
    311.5 KB · Views: 2
D

Deleted member 56886

It was marketed as the Primus Himalaya stove. I have one somewhere in my collection, comes with two jets as standard IIRC.

Si
Aha! No that is very useful info, thank you sir I shall do some more research. I was beginning to think it was either a knock-off, or something someone has put together from bits. It doesn't have the fuel adjust on the stove itself, only on the pump. That might explain things now

D

Deleted member 56886

I think yours might be the MFS multifuel (i can email over a pdf of the instructions-let me know)
Service kits here at a very good price for the 3289 parts may well be interchangeable
It seems it is the himalaya, looks identical to mine. That would be awesome if you could email the instructions. Tried the link you posted download keeps failing.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
As far as I know the Himalaya came as 2 versions MFS & LFS.
From their manual -

What does MFS and LFS mean? MFS means “Multi Fuel System” because the Primus Himalaya MultiFuel stove is the only stove in the world that is able to burn gas from cartridges and liquid fuel. LFS means “Liquid Fuel System“ because the Primus Himalaya VariFuel stove can only burn liquid fuel and not gas from cartridges. Both stoves are basically identical and the handling is exactly the same when burning liquid fuel. The difference between the two stoves is the pump and the fuel pipe which comes with pump swivel connection for the fuel bottles and the cartridges for the MFS. The guidelines for using gas cartridges only refer to the MFS.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
Look here in this thread the pump differences;

D

Deleted member 56886

I thought the Himalaya stove was gas only? - now I'm confused.
I've just started reading the manual that JB101 kingly sent me.

Seems there is a Himalaya multifuel (MFS) that burns gas and liquid fuels, and there is the Himalaya varifuel (LFS) that burns only liquid fuel.

Upon close inspection I believe what I have acquired is the Varifuel version, which is perfect for me, as it is a liquid fuel stove I wanted to run on diesel, but I might try paraffin first.

JB101

Feb 18, 2020
Watford
I've just started reading the manual that JB101 kingly sent me.

Seems there is a Himalaya multifuel (MFS) that burns gas and liquid fuels, and there is the Himalaya varifuel (LFS) that burns only liquid fuel.

Upon close inspection I believe what I have acquired is the Varifuel version, which is perfect for me, as it is a liquid fuel stove I wanted to run on diesel, but I might try paraffin first.

As mentioned previously the fuel line in the service kit (linked above) would be enable you to run off gas as well as it'll screw into a gas cartridge directly .You would have to swap the lines over but it does give you the option and makes it a more versatile stove.

D

Deleted member 56886

As mentioned previously the fuel line in the service kit (linked above) would be enable you to run off gas as well as it'll screw into a gas cartridge directly .You would have to swap the lines over but it does give you the option and makes it a more versatile stove.
I get what you are saying, but I already have a gas stove in my trangia 128. I wanted a purely liquid fuel stove for when I go solo trips to boil water, as I'll be using dehydrated meals. I don't really like gas, I've known people that the canisters have exploded on, same as with petrol stoves too.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE