Which boots for winter trekking in Lappland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Imagedude

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
What boots would you suggest I use for winter trekking in northern Finland/Sweden? They must work well with snowshoes and be comfortable when carrying a 60lb rucksack for about 20 miles per day. I've got pac boots but they're not good to walk in, My Scarpa Mantas are OK to walk in but cold at temps below -15. I've got insulated ice climbing boots which are warm but not so great to walk in as they have a fully stiffened sole. I'm tempted to use the Mantas and insulated gaiters. Any better suggestions?

forestwalker

There are some Lundhags models that are fairly warm, and Jörnkängan has a model with a thick felt liner that is well respected. Luddan makes felt boots that are warm, soft and light, but are perhaps not the epitome of firm support.

30 km a day with a 30 kg pack, on snowshoes? Sounds like a bit of hard work...

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
I guess it depends on the type of snow show. If they are modern ones, a modern boot will be better, but you need to find a pair with room enough for extra sock and insoles. However, if your snowshoes are of a more trad design, you could always go down the traditional route and get some mukluks. they can take a bit of getting used to, but very warm (as long as it's dry cold). I've walked in both mukluks and pac boots and i do prefer the mukluks,but with decent insoles and a good fit, the pac boots should be ok.
At the end of the day, it's what you find comfortable.

maddave

Jan 2, 2004
Manchester UK
Pac boots work well and are warm to about -50c Check out brands called Kamik, Sorel, and Baffin.
kamik-boots-camel-black-324228_CAT_M_080711_160907.jpg

For winter I'm using Olang Centauro which have a funky sole with ice spikes you can deploy or stow at will...

MDC580-85-Centauro-Tex-Tan.jpg

products_image2-3252.jpg

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
I've got the Sorels and they were cold at -10C. Awful to walk in too. Here's a reply I got on another forum:

If it's only snowshoeing, I'd get some comfy, light snowboots of some sort. Plenty of firms like Jack Wolfskin, TNF, Columbia, Salomon etc. make them. They have a pretty flexi sole and often the shoe section is one piece rubber which is useful if it gets slushy. Probably something with a pull out liner to help you dry them at night. Sorrels are the classic, but there are plenty of more modern designs around. In March it's very unlikely that daytime temperatures will be that cold. It's possible, but rather unlikely. Any boot with a flexi sole and then walking will keep your feet way warmer than a climbing boot does. I happily wear some light fabric Merrel hiking boots for a lot of my winter snow shoeing. Some people I know just wear running shoes.

Are you camping? Staying in huts? Pulling a pulk? All of that will make a difference.

Finally, why snowshoes not skis? March in Lapland is prime ski season. There are many hundreds of kms of prepared tracks, thousands of kms of tracks left by other people hut to hut or camp touring, and you can make your own tracks of course as well. I've tried snowshoeing in Lapland at that time of year, and even with huge snowshoes breaking trail was completely exhausting. We didn't reach the potential icefall that we wanted to see. Even just track skis would have been a lot better, let alone proper touring skis.

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
30k a day in snowshoes with a 25 odd kg pack is going to be hard work and warm boots would be too hot for me.

My Baffin snosports are made for snowshoeing-rated down to -20 with a thin, flexible sole and rubber back. They are incredibly comfy to walk in but even they are too hot for me if I'm excercising-hauling or carrying. Remember, your feet don't touch the ground in slowshoes and so feet don't get cooled as much.

I'd go with oversized water resistant trainers/trail shoes with snow gaiters and keep the pac boots for off snowshoe work but I run hot as you know. :)

forestwalker

If I ws doeing that trip my first thoughts would be: skis or snowshoes? Pulk or pack? If I can trust it to stay below -15 C or so then mukluks (on trad snowshoes) or sami fur boots (if on skis). If I risked wet snow then I'd consider the Nokian felt lined wellies (but they tend to gather water inside, being wellies).

Imagedude

Feb 24, 2011
Gwynedd
Looks like I'll be skiing now, so the question now is do I use NNN-BC boots or 75mm boots?

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
Obviously boots are as personal. Choice as anything, but after trying on all the nnn boots I could find, I couldn't find one that didn't feel like a ski boot, if That makes sense? That's why I stuck with what I know. I know what you were saying re alico boots on the ski thread and the narrow fit, I was lucky to be able to try lots in, the advice I was given is to us the width as the fit, so enough room there for two thick socks and still held firm, means plenty of toe wiggle space and no big toe scrunching when skiing, are you going to be trail braking much though? Could you use a light touring ski?

Skaukraft

Settler
Apr 8, 2012
Norway
If you are going mostly in prepared ski slopes, go for the NNN-BC.
If you are going mostly off piste in deep snow, go for the 75mm.
Thats my personal choise anyway. I feel that the NNN type to often get packed with snow in the grooves along the shoes/bindings when going "off road".

Last edited:

Mastino

Settler
Mar 8, 2006
Netherlands
I have good experiences with regular boots (e.g. lundhags) combined with berghaus yeti gaiters; these will provide an extra layer of air trapped between them and the boots. I do add an extra felt insole or some layers of newspaper cut to fit.

Another interesting option is the vapor barrier solution. On some sites people reccomend putting your feet inside a plastic bag and then putting on the thick socks. It seems to work but I never tried it (planning to do so this winter, for experiment's sake).

Finally there are fotlappar: http://www.bushcraftuk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=65914

bullterrier

Forager
Feb 4, 2011
NZ
I think some of our Scandinavian members speak highly of Nokian rubber boots with felt liners
http://www.jmcaleer.com/index.php?p=product&id=608&parent=25

here's a link to a ski compatible pair. I tend to like the idea of 'when in Rome' - if the locals have been doing something for years then there's a good chance it works well. (eg the NZ habit of wearing swanndris/bush shirts with stubbie shorts :))
The boots on the link are rated down to -40, and are a civvy version of the Finnish army boot. The felt liner looks good, and you could try footwraps too (there's a real knack to tying them right, take spare socks too!)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE