Which boots for winter trekking in Lappland?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

forestwalker

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
I think some of our Scandinavian members speak highly of Nokian rubber boots with felt liners
http://www.jmcaleer.com/index.php?p=product&id=608&parent=25

The nokians are

a. quite warm
b. soft and comfortable
c. waterproof,
d. waterpoof, so you will need to keep an eye on interior dampness
e. don't believe the "-40 C" claim unless you wear plenty of socks inside (I wear 2-3 pairs of thick socks inside mine, that was barely sufficient in -40C

Get the version with removable liner, and buy a spare. Be prepared to work on keeping them dry inside, take the liners out at night, put a handwarmer inside them at night, etc. Someone I talked to claimed to have used a plastic grocery store bag as an exterior vapor barrier outside te felt liner: easier to dry than the inside of the wellie itself, but I have never tried this myself.

mark

Forager
Dec 26, 2007
Stirlingshire
I wore Scarpa Freney's for 3 weeks snow shoeing. Nice light winter mountaineering boots, maybe feel stiff but when you're winter mountaineering you wear them anyway no matter how far you have to walk. Others that I was with also wore winter mountaineering boots. They have the added bonus that if you have to take your snowshoes off then you still have an adequate tool on your feet. For the areas that I go snowshoeing, I wouldn't wear anything except mountaineering boots.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE