Which Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
That Vaughan hatchet looks interesting, somewhat like the Bark RIver hatchet.The big hardware stores here have lots of Vaughan hammers and roofing hatchets, but I've never run into one of those.

There is always the Eastwing hatchets. I have a very old Craftsman that I suspect was made by Eastwing, probably in the 1960's. They are almost indestructable but I'm of the opinion that the temper on traditional, forged hatchet heads are better and overall the traditional hatchet weighs less. The knife company, Kershaw, also makes a similar hatchet.

A couple of of the things I like about the Hudson Bay style head is that it's a bit lighter and it's easier to choke up on when dressing out game, like a deer, and when using the hatchet as an ulu style knife.

Evidently, sources on the web have indicated that the Bark River hatchet is really just a Vaughan that they have re-profiled.

Not a lot of people make the Hudson Bay style axes anymore. One of them is a firm up in Maine called Snow & Nealley.
http://www.snowandnealley.com/

Snow & Nealley 18" Penobscot Bay Kindling Axe
PenobscotBayKindling%20Axe.jpg

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I would go Gransfors, simply because i have spoken to some very experienced axe users who have used most makes of axes and they nearly all say Gransfors..... Good enough for me!

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
This is my newest medium axe. ;)
hawk1.jpg

I also have a small hachet, a slightly larger 24", and a full size felling axe.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Buckshot said:
This is my newest medium axe. ;)
hawk1.jpg

I also have a small hachet, a slightly larger 24", and a full size felling axe.

Buckshot vey nice ;) - I'm tempted to say "tomahawk?"...the design is very reminiscent of a couple of tomahawks I have...do you mind if I ask who made that one? :confused:

Red

Buckshot

Mod
Mod
Jan 19, 2004
Oxford
It's a hawk made by Gransfors Bruik (sp)
About the same size as the SFA
Very nice, holds an edge well.
Expensive though.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
I always believe that you get what you pay for and while the GB's seem expensive at first, in use they really are worth every penny.
GB gets my vote every time.

I have been asked to make a couple of sheath's for the swedish army axe's so i ordered one from genuinearmysurplus and i will try to get some pics up of that beside a GB and compare them as soon as possible.

rb

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well it turned up - here it is

banko1oi.jpg

I thought I would post a quick review in case anyone is thinking of getting one.

I would describe it as okay, but not great! The head is quite a bit bigger than I thought (about 2 lbs) so heavier than a GB of the same size. Its well fitted to an 18" hickory handle, but finished in nasty blue paint that wants sanding off IMHO and replacing with black enamel or just plain steel. The handle isn't bad, it has a small nick near the heel but thats just cosmetic.

headfinish6ob.jpg

Its a middle sized axe - around half sized, but for the wieght of head, I'd be tempted to fit a 6" longer handle when I 've damaged this one (which I'll do sooner or later). That would balance it beautifully for me as a 3/4 axe (my scandy head is the same weight as a SFA and needs half a pound more like this one).

So, its workable now (better for splitting than cutting given the weight IMHO), but could be improved. I've chucked in one more picture for scale - full size (3lb) felling axe at the bottom, from left, 1 1/4lb hatchet, Roselli All round (long) - 18" handle, Riflemans Tomahawk This Swedish job, Scandinavain Forest axe.

axes5ez.jpg

Hope that helps anyone toying with one

RB, let me know if the covers are cheap and cheerful - I doubt I'll spend a fortune on this one!

(edit for spelling)
Red

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Hoodoo said:
I kinda like the looks of that puppy! Very sturdy looking tool! :cool: I wouldn't complain if I had one in the back of my truck. :)

Hoodoo,

I've seen your blades, don't snow me you would leave this one alone!

Well, I bought it for a friend who needs a bushcraft axe (and I owe him more than one favour so....).

But I don't know about you guys, I'm more fussy about what I give away than what I keep - especially to mates! The edge on this thing was yeurch :( so out with the files and stones.....

we ended up with a nice profile and a proper edge. It did send my girlfriend off to bed :eek: she hates that "piste " sound of sweeping a blade over the water stones

profile2nd.jpg

But once I had done that, I couldn't help looking at that gopping blue paint - it has to go........Out with the wet and dry!

paintoff4nw.jpg

I know its a rubbish pair of photos, but you get the idea. I''ve cleaned up one side now - and I'm not too sure whether to re-finish in balck or burnish up with wire wool. Theres quite a few forge marks in the head as you can see but personally I don't mind them.

paintoff20yi.jpg

I'll have that yeurch PU varnish off the handle soon and oil finish it.

Hmmm I might go plain on this one - burnished steel and plain haft - any opinions? I reckon I'm gonna have to go dry though - it really aint going to look right without an RB cover!

Red

Stonedog

Jan 6, 2006
The colonies, Kentucky
I received my Roselli Long axe last night...havent had a chance to use it as of yet...so all I can say is that this axe absolutley drips quality....but what of Roselli's doesn't?

Also received my Roselli 7" leuku blade and my kellam ak21 blade....also got the butt and pomel caps as well....I have hickory axe handle just begging to be cut up and made into knife handles...

Shinken

Native
Nov 4, 2005
cambs
I got three of the axes from ebay! one was about 2lbs another 1 1/2 lbs and the other was a bit more than 1 1/2 pounds!

A bit of rust on one, but all in all very good for the price (36 quid fir three!)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Well,

I've cleaned the gunk off and re-profiled the blade! Still loads of work to do on dressing the head, but I'm tempted to leave some of the forge marks on the head.

strippedhead3xh.jpg

So, we now have a "blank canvas" to work with

stripped4ax.jpg

One piece of good news is that RB is going to make the cover for it (I'm rubbish at leather work) so as a minimum my mate will get a nice cover!!

I'll finish dressing off the head today if I can, and hopefully make a start on the haft. The handle needs a couple of dings filling and all the varnish removing and then progressive sanding back to "silk" before oiling.

Think I may be getting carried away on this, but what price a gift?

Red

Nice job! If you smooth out the ramps up to the eye well with a sanding pad so that they're even and polished as much as possible, then you are going to be very impressed with that axe for both chopping and splitting.
It would look great with a scorched (fire hardened) handle, but best to leave that until varnish has been removed for quite a while. Handles now tend not to be dried properly, and scorching with a propane torch could lead to cracks.
I don't believe that you're getting too carried away - a fine axe that will split wood as well as chop it, is a wonderful tool.

soup_monger

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 30, 2005
EDINBURGH AND PERTH
Thats looking good Britishred.
I've not touched mine yet, but, the head profile you've got there looks about right.
I'm planning on flattening the head on mine straight across the top to make it a bit lighter and shorter for the rucksack.
Good job mate.

Thats some size of dog your using as an axe rest.... :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE