Bent axe blade

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
One of these days, I hope to run across what I see often referred to as a "spaltaxt" which has a narrow wedge in the head to cut friction as you wedge the wood apart.

The form factor of the 'rectangular' heads like that Hultafor has puts a lot of weight behind the wedge to split effectively.

Ystranc

Nomad
May 24, 2019
Powys, Wales
One of these days, I hope to run across what I see often referred to as a "spaltaxt" which has a narrow wedge in the head to cut friction as you wedge the wood apart.

The form factor of the 'rectangular' heads like that Hultafor has puts a lot of weight behind the wedge to split effectively.
I have one made by Stihl, they’re not expensive. I find it’s more effective on softwoods. I also have a couple of mauls, wedges, wood grenade and a pto arbor that spirals into the wood. I still end up splitting logs with a two and a quarter pound Elwell forest axe.

Reactions: Broch

sidpost

Forager
Dec 15, 2016
Texas, USA
I have one made by Stihl, they’re not expensive. I find it’s more effective on softwoods. I also have a couple of mauls, wedges, wood grenade and a pto arbor that spirals into the wood. I still end up splitting logs with a two and a quarter pound Elwell forest axe.

It looks like Stihl has added a few axes since the last time I shopped there.

The "cleaving hatchet" is one I have and it cost me $35 which was only ~$10 more than a Lowes or Home Depot cheap knock-off hatchet from China at the time. Not what I would want on hard oak or hackberry but, pretty good for a small campfire or stove situation in most cases.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE