Which Axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Pappa

Need to contact Admin...
May 27, 2005
South Wales
www.plot55.com
I'm sure this question's been asked before, but the forum search won't let me search for the phrase "which axe", or the word axe.

I'm looking for a small, portable axe, and I was wondering if you could recommend one. I don't mind shelling out a bit more for good quality.

Pappa

JimH

Nomad
Dec 21, 2004
Stalybridge
Pappa said:
I'm sure this question's been asked before, but the forum search won't let me search for the phrase "which axe", or the word axe.

I'm looking for a small, portable axe, and I was wondering if you could recommend one. I don't mind shelling out a bit more for good quality.

Pappa

How portable is portable?

Mini-hatchet (12" long or so, <= 1lb weight) - The GB mini axe is good, and I've heard good things about the Vaughan mini. My GB mini may come up for sale if I've still not used it much by Spring...

Hatchet (bigger, heavier, definition varies) GB wildlife, Wetterlings short hunter(?). I have a host of cheap junkers instead from my Viking reenacting days.

Half axe (GB SFA size ie 20 oz hatchet head on a ~20" handle) I like the SFA, but it *is* just a long handled hatchet. The Wetterlings and Rosellis are also reputedly good, though the Roselli is "non standard".

3/4 axe (GB Scandinavian Forest Axe, about a 2-21/2lb head on a 24" handle)

All small/portable by certain definitions (ie I am aware of bigger axes). A half axe is generally a fair compromise, bit OTT for UK use in fact...I find the mini a bit *too* mini, but I'm a BF&I type...I usually carry a cheap spear and Jackson hatchet that I rehandled...

There's some Swedish army issue axes on ebay at present for a tenner. Swedish people like axes, and my experience of Swedish Army surplus dictates I must buy one. Dunno how big they are...

HTH,

Jim.

Lurch

Native
Aug 9, 2004
Cumberland
www.lakelandbushcraft.co.uk
Pappa said:
I've just been looking at the Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet. That's about the size I'm looking for.

Then you will not be at all dissappointed. Some people like the Wetterlings but if you want a well crafted axe that is great to use then you can't go wrong with GB.
The only potential downside is that there is sometimes a little bit of a wait.
Ask Andrew @ Outdoorcode and he may give you a special price iffin you speak nicely to him - Andrew has supplied me with at least three of my GB axes.

Reactions: Pappa

scruff

Maker
Jun 24, 2005
West Yorkshire

Hoodoo

Nov 17, 2003
Michigan, USA
Pappa said:
I've just been looking at the Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet. That's about the size I'm looking for.

Then that's the one I would get because it's a wonderful hatchet. I've probably had more fun using that hatchet than any I own.

Reactions: Pappa

Tutchi

Forager
Nov 15, 2005
Scotland
Pappa said:

Pappa

Pappa
I have the Wetterling saw 13H and the GB wildlife which are equivalent axes as far as size and apart from price and the GB being sharpest out of the box they are almost identical.

Tutchi
:cool:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
i have to second the Wildlife hatchet vote, i want more axes cos i have a blade addiciton but i just cant come up with a reason to buy any other axe.. try as i might :rolleyes:

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I own Gransfors Bruks and Roselli Axes. I don't disagree with any of the other posts, but consider the unusual Roselli all round axe - its different but nice. I posted some piccs if you are interested Here

mrostov

Nomad
Jan 2, 2006
Texas
Myself, I like my Norlund hatchet with the Hudson Bay style head, but they are essentially an antique that you can often find for reasonable prices on Ebay. The Norlund Hudson Bay hatchet has a 3" bit and with the original handle is 12" in overall lenth. They are light and I've found the temper and cutting ability to be superb.

If I were to start off right now from scratch, I'd buy a Gransfors Wildlife Hatchet or a Bark River hatchet if I couldn't quickly find another Norlund. Knives of Alaska makes some good stuff but I think that their hatchet is too small.

For some more info on hatchets for bushcraft and survival and a field test of some hatchets:
http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/

Here's a couple of pics on a Norlund for sale right now on Ebay.
11_1.JPG

43_1.JPG

Here's a pic of a Bark River hatchet
Nessmuk_Forager.jpg

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE