Which Air Rifle?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
PCP's open up another bewildering choice of rifles (and expense) but i must admit as serious hunting or target tools they really are fantastic.
The extra expense of charging kit can put peopel of but they take your shooting to another level.

morch

Native
May 19, 2005
Darlington
I got an Air Arms s400 and also a Leopold copy scope from erm someone not too far away :rolleyes: and i must admit i have no complaints whatsoever, both gun and scope are fantastic.

Cheers RB ;)

Dave

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
My mind is all over the place now!

I've had a look at the tx200 and read some reviews. I'm sure it's an excellent rifle, but the reviews were a bit up and down. It's also a bit too expensive for me.

I'm going to go for an HW77 in .22

I don't think the .22 will give the same penetration as the .177. I used to shoot the telephone directory years ago (much to my mum's displeasure) :D , and the squashed .177 was well in and the pages torn and dented to a good 3/4 of the way in. That was from about 2 metres away. That was using a lead flat head.

The .22 will be a bit better in the wind and should still give long range.

Here in Jersey, we need a full FAC anyway for all air rifles, even a spud gun (joke). A few years ago you didn't have to have an FAC for a shotgun. Only if you wanted to carry it from your home to a field for example, did you need a piece of paper allowing you do this, but it wasn't an FAC. So you were allowed to own a Franchi Spas, but not a Webly Hurricane air pistol!!!!!!! Now it's an FAC for everything. Bit of waffle there.

What I wanted to say was, Can I put an 18ftlbs main spring in the HW77?

Cheers.

rapidboy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 14, 2004
BB
We have the same deal here with FAC's for everything, if I'm right you also still have full bore pistols like here ?
The result is that most airguns here are FAC.

My TB90 runs at about 22ft/lbs with a gas ram, I'm actually thinking about winding it down to 12 as i already have the FAC Rapid.

PCP's are easier to FAC than springer's and FAC springer's can be harder to shoot, harder to silence and pretty rough on scopes, (don't buy a Webley Patriot unless you want to use open sight's , they eat scopes).

The S400 range go well in FAC if you can stretch to a PCP + charging kit.
451_5133_1a.jpg

If your going for an FAC have you considered a rimmy ?
About £350 with buy one of these
DSC00021.jpg

Suddenly 100 yard rabbits are on the cards, i had this out last Sunday and 1" steel spinners at 100 are not hard to hit.

I swapped the 44Mag from the CZ onto the S410 and the Leupold clone is now on the CZ, the mil dots work out really well, zero at 50 yards , first dot down is spot on at 75 yards and second dot down is 100 dead on :)

Springers are very hard to quieten down, PCP's respond much better but the CZ452 with a cheap PH silencer and Lapau sub's is even quieter than the S410 with AA silencer running at 12ft/lbs.

Jjv110

Forager
May 22, 2005
Jersey C.I.
Those are nice looking rifles. You've obviously got things sorted. Makes me want one even more now.

Yes, here in Jersey we've still got pretty much everything except full auto weapons, so we're lucky in that way.

The thing is Rapidboy, I'm just not familiar enough with all the models and combinations of air rifle to comment properly on your comment!! If you know what I mean?

I'll have to do some more internet research to get a better understanding of everything.

Cheers, Julian.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE