which AAA baterys are the best

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

screwdriver

Forager
Nov 28, 2010
calne
alkaline duracell or energiser will be fine, check with the manufacturer before using lithium batteries or rechargable nimh or nicad as alot of unregulated led units can be damaged by them

E

ex member coconino

The Small Batter Company does Energisers at a good price, inc postage. I've no connection with these guys, just had good, reliable service from them.

I meant to add that their web site has a mine of info about small batteries of all types.

Last edited by a moderator:

bojit

Native
Aug 7, 2010
Edinburgh
Picked some of these up from Argos and they've been great

From the Greek god of shopping Argos , and his catalouge of many many many lines !

I use durracell ultra in my led lenser , they go on and on and on .
then i put new ones in and put the old ones in the kids £2 led torches and they use them till they go out .

Craig...............

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Poundstretcher carry GP alkalines which are fantastic value. I get more life out of energizer alkalines than duracells. Lithiums are great, but as has been said, can cause problems. A standard aa/aaa/c/d cell 1.5v cell will be around 1.6v fresh from the packet, but the lithiums are 1.8v.

unorthadox

Forager
Jan 14, 2011
Newcastle
tj huges are doing 2 for 3 on everything i nthere store.. at least they were a few weeks ago.. that includes their ranges of batteries

Manacles

Settler
Jan 27, 2011
No longer active on BCUK
I use Sony Cycle Energy rechargeables. Unlike most rechargeables these ones hold a charge in storage, which of course means you can carry a spare set and they will work when you need them. Sony claim they retain 90% of their charge in storage over a 12 month period, which is almost the same as non rechargeable dry cells. Being rechargeable you are saving money too after the frist few charges.

Now for the downside. The need a special charger, which comes with 2 batteries, all fine and dany except my headtorch needs three. The charger and two batteries was getting on for a tenner and to buy a further set of four batteries (to give me a spare set) cost another tenner. So all in all twenty quid for two sets - roughly the cost of four sets of Duracells at high street prices. Having said that they seem to last okay and I've recharged them a few times now with no loss of efficiency.

Cheapest I found was via Amazon:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-Compac...1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299142300&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sony-nimh-a...9?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1299142300&sr=8-9

Please note the charger link is for AA not AAA as I can't see the charger with AAAs on Amazon's listings (I got my charger with AAAs at Sainsburys) and prices have gone up a bit since I bought mine.

Cheers Paul

rb1985

Need to contact Admin...
Nov 26, 2010
newcastle
i use energizer lithium advanced in my torches/headlights, they last much longer, dont leak, and dont die in the cold.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
From the cost point of view it's worth thinking that you'll get about 500 charge/discharge cycles from most rechargeable batteries. That makes them way more cost effective than primaries if you use them more than occasionally. I camp a lot and so I use torches a lot, so for me there's no debate about it.

Most of my rechargeables are cheap ones from Aldi ("Activ" brand). They're something like 3 quid for a pack of four no matter what the size but be aware that the 'D' size only has the same capacity as the 'C' size (3500mAh). I probably have a hundred or so of various sizes (AAA/AA/C/D), and I've never had one fail. I have a few of their chargers too. One of those failed after almost three years of service, but the manufacturer replaced it under warranty with almost no questions. They didn't even want me to send the old one back! One of the more expensive (non-Aldi) "intelligent" chargers that I have seems to have trouble starting if the cell it's trying to charge is extremely low on charge. In that case I just put the cell in another charger for a minute first, and then away it goes.

harryhawk

Forager
Feb 6, 2009
Devon
I Use Maplins own brand and they cope well. BUT......I bought some Eneloop batteries and have to say that fully charged you can put them away, forget about them, use them 6months-year later and you've got minimal discharge. http://www.eneloop.info/home.html
Well worth that bit extra.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE