Where's the silliest place you've ever left a knife?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
About Twenty years ago my wife bought me a Normark "Super Swede" folder. Apart from an interval of about five years it's been my favourite knife ever since. Let me explain.

We lived in Plymouth. A couple of years after I got the knife, it disappeared. While I was working somewhere I'd put it in my toolbox, and put the toolbox in the boot of my car. The lid of the box was always open because there was always too much stuff in it to close it. When I got home I took the toolbox out of the boot and took it indoors but I didn't notice that the knife was missing. Later that day I noticed that the knife was missing and looked in the boot but it wasn't there. I looked all around the car, in the gutter, on the pavement, in the garden, everywhere. It was nowhere to be found. It seemed most likely that somebody had picked it up when passing by on the pavement so I printed a note on the computer and leafleted the entire street warning that a child could be injured by the very sharp blade and offering a reward for its return. Nothing ever came of it. I was gutted that I'd lost the knife, especially as it had been a present.

My wife bought me another one next birthday. :)

Five years later we moved to Bath. About year later I took the car for a service at the dealer in Bath. Imagine my surprise, when I collected the car, to find the knife on the seat! It had evidently slipped off the toolbox and managed to find its way inside a box section, and when the dealer had fitted a replacement brake light bulb they'd found the knife in the light cluster!

Grooveski

Native
Aug 9, 2005
Glasgow
At home when going camping.

Beat me to it. :D

Left my bullet knife sitting on a fence post at a layby up the campsies. Was a couple of days before I noticed and another before I made it back but it was still there. :)

Was out the farm retracing my steps for my current belt knife back in the spring there too. It was lying in the middle of the bottom field where it'd slipped out my pocket. Could see a wee brown dot from away up the hill and as I got closer and more sure that it was the knife you couldn't have wiped the cheesy grin off my face.
It's almost worth losing them for the pleasure of finding them again.

Only knife I've lost was because I didn't leave it somewhere(at home). Had a penknife in my pocket when I went to a concert, handed it in at the door and there was no-one there at the wee box office when the gig finished. Was just a cheapie with no sentimental value, never did make it back to claim it.

Do you still get bullet knives? A 303 round or thereabouts with the powder emptied and a penknife blade welded on the back end of the bullet(so it was stored in the shell). You popped out the bullet, pushed it back in pointy end first and held the cartridge as a handle. Worked quite well.
Edit - Found a pic of some.

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
lost one SAK on Dartmoor.

lost another SAK in the Isle of Arran.

If my current one turns up I'll tell you. - but bugger me if I know where it is. lol.

they have a habbit of falling out of my pocket - so the last time I was at the market I bought 5. - figured that would keep me going for a while.

Last edited:

korvin karbon

Native
Jul 12, 2008
Fife
a few leathermans in washing machines while repairing them, oh in the back of equipment racks, on stage and my favourite place of all............................. under the chair of Obama at the G20 in london, a nice security guard found it for me

pango

Nomad
Feb 10, 2009
Fife
after a good five mins of standing and staring at the hole still with my trousers down, i decided it was lost and trundled of to the pxbx. still gutted about that.

Ha, ha, ha... I can see you having a "Trainspotting" moment, Southey!

Bilmo and TomBartlett, what a coincidence............
On my first trip to sea as deck-boy, I was given a deck-knife by an old sailor, Sam.

Two days later, having been assigned the gift of splicing dog's co... eh, back splices onto a batch of new heaving lines (deck-boys aren't to be trusted with technical things like monkeyfists, as an escaping 2" nut can cause serious trauma), I was sitting prettily in the sun, staring at the vague line on the horizon that might have been the west coast of Africa... trying to see an African... and laid the knife I was so proud of on the railing next to me.

When I went for my knife I bumped it with my elbow. I didn't even hear the plop as it entered the Atlantic Ocean!
So, if you find a Green River knife somewhere between Cap Verde and Senegal, it's mine!

I never did tell Old Sam about it, but I knew that he knew that I knew he knew!

Last edited:

nells55

Feb 16, 2010
wigan
once left a rather nice engraved bushy in a safe place in a caravan in cumbria ? so safe i never found it again needless to say when asked no one else had either !

_mark_

Settler
May 3, 2010
Google Earth
Age 10, playing John Rambo - first blood! After a long and ferocious battle with my imaginary foe I went for the death lunge from a low stance but misjudged and buried the knife in the back of my calf, my hand came up empty! Brave soldier that I (as JR) was, I limped to the phone and called my Mum at work, "Mum I don't want to worry you but... I have stabbed myself in the leg..." The scar still makes me smile and blush!

drago

Feb 25, 2010
Blackpool / liberia
left an opinal next to my round peuter hip flask in my day pack whilst trying to board a plane from edinburgh just after the 9/11 attacks....... i really didnt know that peuter hip flasks resemble hand grenades in an xray machine.

some explanations latter that a hip flask full of single malt and a opinal did not represent a major terrorist attack i was allowed home, but sadly lost the knife and the whiskey.

roger-uk

Settler
Nov 21, 2009
long Eaton
Left a Leatherman Wave in leather puch at side of path at Peak 2010 International Scout Camp 2 weeks ago whilst giving first aid. Gutted when I found it lost as it was 10 years old and been with me to OZ, USA and most European countries.

You should have seen my face when it was handed in next day to Sub-Camp office and I could not even give them a reward as they did not leave their details.

Again to that Guide or Scout - THANK YOU

My mate once asked me for a shot of my knife so I handed him my leatherman wave. About 10 seconds later he had managed to leave it impaled into his middle finger the slight problem was to get it into his middle finger it had passed right through his ring finger! He managed to do this trying to cut a heavy duty cable tie!!!!! He could of used the cutters on the pliers!!!

bilmo-p5

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 5, 2010
west yorkshire
So, if you find a Green River knife somewhere between Cap Verde and Senegal, it's mine!

Coincidence abounds.
As I write I have to hand my Green River from my 1st trip to sea some 37 yrs ago. At some point one of the scales split-off and it got put to one side for repair, (still getting round to it.) IIRC they came with a shepherds steel but I found a pointy spike/shackle key more useful.

GRiver.jpg

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Not a knife but hurts as bad to this day. Left my Tilley hat on the back of the car I was hich hiking. Hat that was with me for 3 years of working on the farms and travelling all over the europe...

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne
Mine is a bit Funny, whilst working doing some wallpapering I was using a german type snapoff blade knife too trim the bottom edge of the paper. Looking around I couldb't see it anywhere & considering I had only been sitting down at the bottom of the paper it must be near. Not a sign then I start to get annoyed lifting things up peeling back wallpaper. Seeing all the red stuff all over the paper and on the floor am looking for what it is. TADA! I have the knife in my hand and also a 4 inch long slash in my left forearm. what a idiot I felt try explaining that one too the gaffer??

By the way we were working in the Wear Valley and did not have a clue where the local A+E were so wrapped it up in masking tape have a great scar through one of my tattoos now. P

Samon

Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
I think I might be the most stupid so far, I'll explain.. :rolleyes:

I had bought an old folding knife from a carboot sale for 10p when I was about 8, it was a nice little irish Barlow twin blade folder. I carried it all the time and really likedit.

Several years later (I was probably about 13) I was in my family home garden and trying to knock down the cooking apples from our tree. I couldn't find anything decent to get them down with and instead of taking off my shoe to throw at them (or getting the rake..) I decided it might be a smart idea to take out my little barlow knife, open the main blade and see if I could ninja the apple from the branch.. while standing directly underneath where the knfie would fall.. yeah.

Luckily, I didn't catch the knife in the face but it certainly did do a ninja act on me and disappeared completely. It never landed and must have either stuck into a branch or falled out of sight into the evergreen hedge a metre or so to the right. I was kinda confused to where it went and spent about 2 hours looking for it but never found it..

glad I didn't have to learn not to throw knives straight up the hard way, but gutted I lost it as I think they are quite collectable now. :p

I also lost my favourite axe, some cheapo thing from do-it-all, had it for years and abused the hell out of it. One day it vanished, only to be found about 5 yeas alter down the side of my garage/neighbours fence. Smeone must have hidden it!

BigMonster

Sep 6, 2011
Manchester
Liverpool airport. Just before the gate I relized I have a Leatherman Charge Ti on my belt. Quick transfer to the side pocket in my main bag. Never to see it again on the other side. Those airport workers must be very active on ebay...

Mafro

Settler
Jan 20, 2010
Kent
www.selfemadeknives.co.uk
I left my nice driftwood walker pocket pal in the middle of a field after skinning and paunching a few bunnies. it wasn't until I was over half way home I had that gut wrenching feeling that something wasn't right. I pulled the car over as soon as I could, and it wasn't in my pockets, my game bag, in the car. Frustrated with myself I turned the car around and drove back to the field.

Luckily the last bunny wanted to give up more fur than skin so in the pitch black I found the area of bunny fir and there in the grass was my knife! Luck was on my side that night!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE