Where to buy custom woodworking tools...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Hi all,

I don't know if anyone can help but I am trying to find either somewhere that sells non standard tools or a maker that can do custom jobs.

I am after a gouge similar to this
4d607d74-2996-e68b.jpg

4d607d74-29be-8b05.jpg

But with a shorter handle and a much shorter blade, say 1-1.5 inches.

The best way I can describe what I'm after is the equivalent of a normal screwdriver and one of the stubby versions.

Any clues where I might find something like this or anyone who could make one?

Cheers, Hamster

Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Thanks all, the woodsmith store links look like they may be the way to go so am going to look into them a bit further.

Ideally a slightly wider blade so my well be PM'ing mr Budd in the near future for a chat about custom bit.

Cheers all, Hamster

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Or you could get an old gouge blade, some are worn very short from repeated grinding and honing, or just cut down an existing gouge and reprofile it. And fit it into a stubby palm type handle (like woodblock print engravers burin tool handles) You could easily carve a custom handle and use brass or copper tube to make a ferrule.

Ian S

On a new journey
Nov 21, 2010
Edinburgh
Or you could get an old gouge blade, some are worn very short from repeated grinding and honing, or just cut down an existing gouge.

I think that you'd have to be careful that there is still some hardened steel left. I think it's quite common for makers to harden say only the first 50% of the blade is hardened.

Cheers

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE