When was the last time you cut yourself with a knife? (Not in a self-harming way!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Kast time was tuesday, doing a woodwork demonstration with kids. Gave them the full safety lecture, then tried to push a knife back into a sheath whilst paying more attention to the kids than the knife. Missed the sheath but found my thumb with the knife point with deadly accuracy.

Not enough blood to be worth a photo.

NetFrog

Forager
Jul 17, 2011
Scotland
1 week ago - feathering some tinder and not paying due attention. Caught a nook in the wood and pressed a little harder, slipped and sliced. No pain just a clean cut and a 3 mm wad of skin n flesh sliced straight off. I felt a right twonker too as it was completely my own fault.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
self harming apart I can't remember. I have cut, and caught, and scratched myself in all manner of other ways, most of which just seem to "happen" with objects as diverse as screwdrivers, chisels, and even paper but a knife as such, it has to be some time back probably when sharpening it.

May 18, 2011
Scotland
I have not cut myself for a while now ...at least not with a knife...
I did however get a papercut from a page in a Jack Reacher novel the other day.... boy he is one tough dude!

Off topic but Lee Child is a legend. I here they are making a movie of One shot with Tom Cruise as Reacher. *** is with that.

On topic, Cut myself with an SAK last week, drunkenly i ran my thumb across the blade to see if my sharpening skills were any good, unfortunately they were not too bad.

Paul72

Nomad
Jan 29, 2010
Northern Ireland
About 2 years ago I was chopping green peppers in the kitchen, got a little over confident in my technique and took the top of my thumb off. The green peppers suddenly turned into red peppers and my wife said I made a very strange sound!

Wayland

Hárbarðr
A little one a few days ago.

Picked up a scalpel, that I thought I had retracted the blade on, by the wrong end to cut some leather.
doh.gif

geordienemisis

Settler
Oct 3, 2010
Newcastle upon Tyne

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
I found a plaster, hells teeth, the shame, the shame!

I haven't cut myself for years, then I go camping this weekend and think 'I know, I'll carve myself a spoon, like all those blokes on Bushcraft.co.uk', despite several dire warnings of my cack-handedness (including a reminder of how I went for a mountain bike ride and broke my back in the ****-end of nowhere in Wales, and how I let the car off it's jack onto my own foot, and how I decided to adjust the garage door and dropped it on to the roof of the Punto) I told everyone not to be so daft. Anyway, the finishing touches to the handle have now involved a little extra sanding to get rid of the blood stain:eek:

Think you need to take up a nice safe hobby not involving any sharp objects, so knitting is out of the question. :)

Melonfish

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
two weekends ago i put the carpet down in the master bedroom, managed to use up 4 stanley blades doing it, even lined the cupboard.
didn't cut myself once.

cleaning up however i stuff a hanger in a bin bag and gash my finger open quite badly on the plastic mould line!!!! 0_o
typical.
last time i cut myself on a sharp object was after finishing the head of an axe, one final flourish with the steel and i managed to prove how sharp i'd made the edge, left a nice scar that, really neat.
pete

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
In the last hour or so I've managed to cut my head open... with an XL DD tarp. :eek:

I'd used it last night to keep the rain off a kids group that I help out at, and my wife complained that it now smelled of smoke, so I thought I'd stick it out in the rain for a rinse. It being enormous, I tried the old 'grab it at one end and flick it' to get it laid out flat. Forgot there were carabiners attached. One of them flicked up then down onto my head.

My wife, having come to my aid, informed me I had a half-inch gash in the top of my stupid thick skull (her words). Her aid involved lots of sighing about "Men!", and apparently unnecessary amounts of force on my injured head.

Feeling like I owed her, I decided to make her a fruit-filled pancake as a thank you. This involved using up the remaining fruit from a crumble I had made earlier in the week. That hadn't gone to plan, as what I thought were frozen blueberries turned out to be small wild cherries picked last year and forgotten about. Consequently, eating the crumble involved lots of pauses to get cherry stones out of mouths. "So this time...", thinks I, "I'll remove the stones first".

Having done this, and the pancakes duly made, appreciated and eaten, it was pointed out to me that my technique of squeezing the cherry between my fingers to remove the stone wasn't perhaps the best idea given that I was wearing a white T-shirt at the time. Looks down - cherry juice everywhere. You just know that isn't going to come out in the wash. Cue more sighing.

"Not my day, is it?" I said to her as I leaned against the doorframe. I relaxed and let my head fall against the frame... "Ow!".

"Er, dear, I seem to be bleeding again.."

"Sigh".

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Last memorable one was about 7 years ago, with an AW Woodlore.
Cut the tendons. Cannot bend that finger now.

Last edited:

RonW

Native
Nov 29, 2010
Dalarna Sweden
Just did yesterday.
Got myself a new Mora Frosts 120 and 162 and, while working on a kuksa with the first, split the tip of my left indexfinger.
Nothing too bad though (fleshwound) and a simple bandage was sufficient, but I didn't notice untill I felt a warm, unpleasantly familiar feeling running down my finger and hand....

Still don't know how I have done it, but it reminded me once more to keep my attention focussed!

The main problem I have with these kind of injuries, is the edges of the cut drying out, when it starts to heal, getting hard, which makes them catch into cloth and paper and I keep tearing the wound open time and time again....

outdoorpaddy

Nomad
Mar 21, 2011
Northern Ireland
My Stupidity trumps you all!

A few months ago I cut myself on paint, yep, you're reading this right. Paint
It was in a corner and the paint had cracked and the layer had come off the wall a bit, I decided to run my finger along this crack (for reasons I cannot remember)
and ended up with a tidy half inch slit in the side of my index finger. Humiliating.

outdoorpaddy

MikmaqArcher

May 13, 2010
Potlotek First Nation, NS,CA
Last march while sharpening an axe my 80 pound labrador retriever decided to jump on me pushing the palm of my right hand down onto the axe head and nearly splitting my hand in two. lost feeling in half of my hand

billybob0987

Tenderfoot
Jul 19, 2011
Eastbourne
i havent had any note worthy cuts from blades for a while, but lately everytime i reach into a box of screws or tacks i stab myself with one of them, i took a small chunk of meat out the palm of my hand thursday or friday with a 3.5 inch screw, only about the size of a peppercorn or something, but it really hurt, i think on average the majority of my cuts have been from engines, the seams where the molds meet on an alloy block are ridiculously sharp, and i have a habit of holding a spanner in a fist style motion, which means if undoing a bolt thats quite tight, when it suddenly goes you end up punching whatevers infront of your hand, the amount of bolt ends, or brake line brackets i've punched by mistake is crazy, i'm surprised my hands even work, totally my own fault though, i need to change my technique, but its habitual

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE