When was the last time you cut yourself with a knife? (Not in a self-harming way!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
For me it was about 4 minutes ago, I have spent the last 3 minutes finding a plaster..... aaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:yikes:

DaveBromley

May 17, 2010
Manchester, England
most of my cuts occur milliseconds after thinking either "is this safe" or "if i'm not careful i'm going to cut ....ARGHHH" or even "this is dangerous i'm going to change how i'm holding this"

Never managed to change it in time yet lol, I do however learn from my mistakes and have never cut myself the same way twice unless you count with something sharp lol

Dave

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
No pics I am afraid but a couple of years back myself, my wife and her family were out 'obbit walking in the lake district. Hot day, lovely weather, stopped for a picnic on the Rydal Round. My father in law had brought cheese, bread and apples but no knife. So feeling all useful I dragged out my twenty year old swiss army knife that my dad had given me when I moved out of home and watched in horror as said father in law cut up some cheese and not noticing a massive lump of 'sweaty back-pack cheddar' near the pivot closed the blade with a squelch...

Cut myself trying to dig out lumps of manky cheese.

Gill

Jun 29, 2004
SCOTLAND
I have had more cuts in the last while than i care to remember lol The more i use knifes the worse i get i think .My wee boys even say to me Dad what do you use knifes for u are crap with them ..HaHa

joe.ford

Forager
Apr 8, 2004
Essex
Never, came mighty close to sticking a spoon knife in my leg tho. Pushed it a little too hard and slipped off the spoon onto my leg, made a hole in my trousers but not a mark on my skin. Strange.

I have however accidentally put a rather sharp (brand new) chissel into my thumb

sasquatch

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jun 15, 2008
Northampton
Luckily I've never done myself any proper harm yet. I use a knife every day at work and make knifes but I still haven't done anything bad yet. The worst thing I tend to do is accidentally push wee sharp files into my thumb when doing filework on the spines. That always annoys me no end! When I was a kid I cut myself a few times but never anything too bad, it would seem as though I've learned from those incidents I hope.

Oct 5, 2009
Sheffield
First and only noteworthy cut was at about twelve years old - blunt knife, dense wood, just a little more pressure... oops.

It was a great lesson and one I've remembered well

last week

was washing a batch of presharpened blades after a Deruster treatment just snicked the end of a finger pad

mostly i do get the odd cut or nick when making mainly because you end up holding it wrong in the finishing ie by the sharp bit while finishing the handle

usually end up with 'C' shape cuts and marks in my left palm if im doing a batch of Spoon Knifes

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
most of my cuts occur milliseconds after thinking either "is this safe" or "if i'm not careful i'm going to cut ....ARGHHH" or even "this is dangerous i'm going to change how i'm holding this"

Ive had many accidents with knives over the years, most of which happen as above! The last accident I had was a couple of years back with a bread knife, holding a bread roll to be cut and not noticing my finger was in the way, it was rather messy including blood on the ceiling (not sure how that happened!), didnt need stitches so I was quite lucky. But I'm always very careful now as I know how easily I can make the wrong judgement, as we all can!

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
Ive had many accidents with knives over the years, most of which happen as above! The last accident I had was a couple of years back with a bread knife, holding a bread roll to be cut and not noticing my finger was in the way, it was rather messy including blood on the ceiling (not sure how that happened!), didnt need stitches so I was quite lucky. But I'm always very careful now as I know how easily I can make the wrong judgement, as we all can!

iv never had it happen myself but somehow this cut makes me cringe more than others and am always super paranoid about cutting such with my mora.
bushcraft knives really don't lend themselves to making sanwiches, even spreading jam seems overly awkward.

i think iv done most of the usuall cuts but the best (worst!) was when i was about 12 and was around a mates house and for some reason was splitting bamboo canes. i was holding the piece in one hand with the thumb allongside the cane. my mate asked if it was a good idea when i said the classic 'don't worry im an expert!' then there was a neer half inch deep cut across the tip of my thumb and blood all over their patio:lmao:

pete

pauljm116

Native
May 6, 2011
Rainham, Kent
It always seems to happen in slow motion and have a voice in your head telling you how stupid you are. Has anyone ever noticed that the sharper the knife the less it seems to hurt, even if its quite a deep wound.

For me it was about 4 minutes ago, I have spent the last 3 minutes finding a plaster..... aaaaaaaagggghhhhhhhhhhhhhhh:yikes:

Did you ever find that plaster or did you pass out through blood loss? :confused:

Maggot

Banned
Jun 3, 2011
Somerset
It always seems to happen in slow motion and have a voice in your head telling you how stupid you are. Has anyone ever noticed that the sharper the knife the less it seems to hurt, even if its quite a deep wound.

Did you ever find that plaster or did you pass out through blood loss? :confused:

I found a plaster, hells teeth, the shame, the shame!

I haven't cut myself for years, then I go camping this weekend and think 'I know, I'll carve myself a spoon, like all those blokes on Bushcraft.co.uk', despite several dire warnings of my cack-handedness (including a reminder of how I went for a mountain bike ride and broke my back in the ****-end of nowhere in Wales, and how I let the car off it's jack onto my own foot, and how I decided to adjust the garage door and dropped it on to the roof of the Punto) I told everyone not to be so daft. Anyway, the finishing touches to the handle have now involved a little extra sanding to get rid of the blood stain:eek:

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have not cut myself for a while now ...at least not with a knife...
I did however get a papercut from a page in a Jack Reacher novel the other day.... boy he is one tough dude!

mrcharly

Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Got myself a couple of weeks ago. Making push cut, was distracted by kids, looked up, pushed - didn't feel right. Look down. Whoops, knife is wrong way round, disadvantage of symmetrical handle. Blade sunk 1/4" into pad of left thumb. Man, i felt stupid.

Ape_Ogre

Tenderfoot
Apr 26, 2010
Southport, UK
Cut myself the other night as well, not on a knife but trying to wrestle some sharp aluminium packaging away from the dog... I was worried he might cut his mouth on it, ended up with a sharp metal cut on my thumb, the little bugger !

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland
Err quite a while ago now - April time maybe.

With miscellaneous stuff on the other hand - today. Cut a nice chunk out of my finger when a length of 1/2" brass caught in the drill while I was de-burring it and flung round in my hand. Wasn't overly sore but bled loads!

Andy

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE