When was the last time you cut yourself with a knife? (Not in a self-harming way!)

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Peanut

Tenderfoot
Jul 21, 2011
Essex
The last one with a knife was last summer I think. I was cutting some parcel tape off of a parcel with my mora, swinging it by the last inch of the handle to reach around the edge of the huge box, trying to hit the 1cm piece of tape between the box and my fingers. Surprise surprise, the last 5mm of the end of my thumb came off too. Didn't feel a thing til I tried to screw up the bit of tape between finger and thumb. Parcel tape sticking to the newly exposed end of my thumb was an experience I didn't enjoy.

Other than that, I think the last cut I got that affected the day-to-day use of my hands (not including small papercuts etc) was also last summer. I managed to cut the inside of the middle section of my right ring finger on the bottom of a headrest housing in a Ford Focus at work (we were training people in how to remove people from cars. I was the removee, and I was winning the struggle until my hand turned the back of the seat a nice shade of claret). I couldn't make a fist properly, write or do most everyday things without a lot of pain for a few weeks. Even tying shoelaces with what was just a superficial injury was painful, and my pain threshold is quite high.

Last edited:

Laughoutlouder

Forager
Jun 21, 2009
Dublin
Think I'm getting better cos it has been a while. Also I seem to be getting better at almost cutting myself(u know, no blood but close) rather than following through and going that extra dermal layer.

Harvestman

Bushcrafter through and through
May 11, 2007
Pontypool, Wales, Uk
Sunday, cutting salami with a mora woodcarver, decided to go for some fresher meat, and attempted an impromptu amputation of the tip of my thumb.

Lots of blood, and the wound is almost disappointingly tiny. Barely a nick. It felt worse at the time though.

Left thumb tip of course, so doing up shirt buttons when getting dressed for work has been a nightmare...

Hugo

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 29, 2009
Lost in the woods
They say never try to catch a falling knife.
Yesterday I dropped an axe that I had just sharpened, yes I did the silly thing and caught it, lucky for me it only nipped a finger.

Dirty Karlos

Forager
Oct 16, 2007
Hull
www.karlholtby.com
Well I'm fairly new to messing around with knives, about three years ago was the last time I cut myself. All I was doing was stripping nettles to make cord!
Slipped and lost the side of my thumb, I was in the middle of the woods with no bandages so used a spare sock. This was followed by a run back to the car, left arm held aloft, also had to do a river crossing to evade a bull! Then a drive (one handed) to hospital :-/
Pic here:-
http://karlos.smugmug.com/Other/Oops/5279123_kKPXx#325829952_vRbbS

malente

Life member
Jan 14, 2007
Germany
Well I'm fairly new to messing around with knives, about three years ago was the last time I cut myself. All I was doing was stripping nettles to make cord!
Slipped and lost the side of my thumb, I was in the middle of the woods with no bandages so used a spare sock. This was followed by a run back to the car, left arm held aloft, also had to do a river crossing to evade a bull! Then a drive (one handed) to hospital :-/
Pic here:-
http://karlos.smugmug.com/Other/Oops/5279123_kKPXx#325829952_vRbbS

eeeww! that looks horrible. how big is the scarring? did u loose feeling?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE