When is expensive, too expensive?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

vizsla

Native
Jun 6, 2010
Derbyshire
i must admit i have spent alot of money on bits of kit, but thats because i realy like things that are handmade to a very high standard,so expensive.
i also like my kit to be fairly basic in design but solid,like a basic crusader cup that are dirt cheap but will last years.
so i think price depends on the item, nothing i use is very flash but it is all very well made and reliable.
i love my swanndri ranger which some people will say are expensive but its paid for itself time over,and still looks just like new.
when i brought my first gransfors axe about 8 years ago i thought it was expensive at about £50,untill i got it and saw how well made it was,and im still using the axe now and it shows hardly any signs of wear.
cheers ash

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
when you are left handed a fountain pen is a great way to get ink everywhere.

The Bookies dont mind me having a few pens; one gave me a new unsealed box

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
gut feeling has a lot to do with it. im tight and usually buy seccond hand or even broken and repair things.
£150 for a knife i think is madness but others just can't get enough of them.

pete

hatethatgiraffe

Forager
Jan 9, 2010
Glasgow
What, even knives HTG?

I use all my knives, granted some I'm more considerate of than others but that's more tool for the job and careful use than it being too expensive to use!
I couldn't justify the money spent on a Woodlore as a user when I have knives that perform just as well at a fraction of the price!
I would spend more time checking I hadn't damaged the edge than actually using it!
That to me is when something is too expensive, when you worry more about the cost than getting the job done!

I have a Spydie urban that's seen more abuse in a year than most knives get in a lifetime because it was bought to use and has been my knife for work all that time.
Some people might consider the outlay for a work knife at around £100 to be too high, it is comparatively expensive to say a Stanley knife which can perform the same tasks but I found the wharncliffe shape to be perfect for my needs.
I would have second thoughts about using a Sebenza day to day and don't think could justify the price to myself to see it sit in a drawer.

Highbinder

Jul 11, 2010
Under a tree

Naa it's all about the ink you use Tengu :) It was just a suggestion - I'm a convert after I realised how much more enjoyable writing is with one compared to a bic - and if you're curious to try I suggest checking out fountain pen network, plenty of topics on left handed people using em over there.

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.

Well, I'll try to pay lip-service to the topic if you'll bear with me...

When I was at school I was always in trouble for my untidy writing. For years, while everybody else in my class was doing 'normal' lessons, they had the brightest guy in the school (by a long way -- sorry, sounds big-headed, but it's just the truth) sitting at the back of the class, feeling outcast, ashamed, and wondering what was wrong with him, writing out stupid sentences and trying to make the letters the same shape as everybody else made them. Of course everybody else was right handed. It was a stigma to be left handed in those days. My grandfather always tried to make me hold things in my right hand instead of my left, he was really adamant that I wasn't going to be left handed. Of course it made no difference to my handedness, but it might have caused me personal problems. Not so long ago I came across a second hand book written by some knighted gentleman and published in the year of my birth. It has a chapter entitled "Left Handedness". The title of the book is "The Backward Child". I bought it just for a laugh.

When I was at university I started to use a draughting pen instead of a fountain pen. These pens were very expensive but the transformation in my handwriting was astounding. Worth it? I'd say so. Nobody ever bothered me about my handwriting again and four years later (thick sandwich) I took a first class honours degree. What a pity Rotring didn't start making those things a few decades earlier. It might have saved a lot of kids a lot of angst.

Not so long ago one of my staff came to work in tears because her young son's teacher had been giving him grief about his poor work with scissors. Yep, you guessed it, right handed scissors, left handed son. And so it goes on. Anyone ever tried to use a left-handed angle grinder? :campfire:

The Bookies dont mind me having a few pens...

Have you wondered why? :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
YES I have a great number of varied fountain pens and several sets of technical drawing pens. (was given them by a retired architect; small fortune in kit)

And YES they dio improve my handwriting. But I have to be careful with them

But for everyday use, Id rather have a biro.

tomongoose

Nomad
Oct 11, 2010
Plymouth
Its all about value, how much is it worth to you will it save you money in the long term. Some bits of expensive kit are an investment and if they last long enough they will work out cheaper in the long run, other things you just pay for the name I refuse to fork out for expensive outdoor clothing when the army surplus stuff I use is dirt cheap and has lasted for years

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE