What's your prefered firelighting method?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

HawkesNest

Sep 18, 2008
Brigham City Utah USA
www.box.net
I thought I would share my preferred method of firelighting. After trying a ferro rod with cotton balls (wool), flint and steel, and a fire piston, I like the flint and steel the best.

Here are some pictures showing how to light a fire with flint and steel, chaga, punk wood and pine needles.
First, a little preparation of gathering some pine needles on a suitable piece of wood so I can hold the pine needles up off the ground while blowing on the coal.
DSCF1193.jpg

Here I have some chaga, flint, striker, punk wood, and knife.
DSCF1195.jpg

Using the flint and steel, I use the chaga to catch a spark and get my initial coal.
DSCF1196.jpg

Using my knife I cut the coal off of the chaga and transfer it to the punk wood as a coal extender.
DSCF1197.jpg

I then lay the punk wood on my bed of pine needles and put more pine needles on top.
DSCF1198.jpg

DSCF1199.jpg

With a little blowing the pine needles burst into flames.
DSCF1200.jpg

Kindling is added to get a nice little fire going along with a little more blowing on the pine needles to heat things up.
DSCF1201.jpg

DSCF1202.jpg

DSCF1203.jpg

DSCF1204.jpg

Now I'm ready to have my chocolate milk and a snack on a nice fall day. How great is that?
DSCF1205-1.jpg

DSCF1206-1.jpg

SimonM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 7, 2007
East Lancashire
www.wood-sage.co.uk
Firelighting... so many ways to play.

My everyday method of firelighting or just lighting the stove is a ferro rod.

For giggles, I like to use potassium permanganate & glycerin (on a hexy block that the newbie is waiting for me to light!)

But like you, my favourite method is traditional steel & flint.

Simon

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
If I'm out practising I will light tiny fires with a Ferro Rod and flint&steel,fire piston,bow drill and hand drill and then make the camp fire over all of them.Note the fire is always just the right size for one person. I'm not an arsonist,I just like to practise with all the methods I use.

JDO330

Nomad
Nov 27, 2007
Stevenage, Herts.
Ferro rod and a feather stick for me, nice and reliable (I have not mastered the bow drill yet but I guess this would be my favorite when I do).

Likewise, I only like to use materials that I can find whilst in the woods so I dont carry cotton wool, maya sticks / dust etc, etc.

ATB, Jon.

Wayland

Hárbarðr
Tried most methods at some time or other.

For enjoyment or in my work I use flint and steel, but most often I have a box of WP matches or a match case in my pocket.

That sorts ignition and I find birch bark and dry pine cones good for secondary kindling but much more important is fire management, something that I find many people simply do not understand.

Far too many people seem to think a fire will run itself. It's something that I find a little frustrating about communal fires. I'm always looking to the next task the fire is needed for, so for example while I'm cooking I'll make sure another part of the fire is burning well to produce embers for the next person that needs it. At the end of the evening I'll be changing the fire lay so it curfews itself and leaves some glowing dogs for the morning, but you can always guarantee someone else will come along and shift it all around so the whole thing is burnt out in a quick bright fire as they walk away and go to bed. :bluThinki

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
My absolute favourite is traditional flint and steel. It gives me both pleasure and a great sense of achievement.

However, when I am out and about at work and I want a quick brew in the kelly kettle I use a fire steel struck onto cotton wool. Feather sticks are added and then finely split pine sticks.

I always have a suitable amount of prepared fuel with me (mainly as I don't have time to look for it when I am at work).

My record is having a steamy hot pint of tea within about 4 - 5 minutes.

So it is flint and steel for play and ferro rod for work (or something like that).

Stewey.:D

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
cough .. wheez .... cough ... splutter

Being a smoker & for convenience I use my zippo mostly

But when I`m not in a rush or just for the love of doing it I`ll have a play with either a bowdrill or firestell and flint. I also have my ferro rod on my sheath which gets a bit of hammering too.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
I'm now mastering ferro rod and feather sticks only, I think I have cracked it and get them to light every time. (my journal shows how) so I'd say toss up between flint and steel, or ferro rod. I keep a blue flame lighter and lifeboat matches with me at all times or in the car at least. :)

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
If away for a few days i like to start the first fire with a steel, If for some reason i am unable to get an ember the next morning or set a spark to a dog end then the lighter comes out :eek:

With a lighter or fero its usually pine kindling with feather sticks. I do love birch for fire lighting but there is always a stick about where as birch can be a little illusive sometimes.

Mike Ameling

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 18, 2007
Iowa U.S.A.
www.angelfire.com
My ... preferred ... method of fire lighting is ----

to take along a friend that lights the fire! :rolleyes:

But when I have to light the fire, I usually use the traditional Flint and Steel.

Mikey - that grumpy ol' German blacksmith out in the Hinterlands

MikeE

Sep 12, 2005
Essex
Jet lighter or Mike Ameling flint & steel depending on circumstances. The steel is ru**y brilliant!!
Firesteel if all else fails.

Peter_t

Native
Oct 13, 2007
East Sussex
ferro rod for me, its reliable and i can always get a fire going as long as i prepare tinder etc.
iv realy got to give flint and steel a try, it looks quite fun and according to mors kochanski wind actualy helps:)

saddle_tramp

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 13, 2008
West Cornwall
everyday method would be a fag lighter, cos its instant

my favorite method by far is traditional flint and steel, bit of charcloth and some fine tinder and if im in no hurry, il use that method

I got a ferro rod or two, but i rarely use them

and as for a bow drill, i made one once, stuck at it all day, and after about 6hrs i got me ember. far as im concerned, its a bit like bungee jumping. done it, very happy and proud to have done it, but never ever ever need do it again. :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE