whats your preferance ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you prefer ....

• Modern Skills, equiptment

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • tradional clothing, skills

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • A mix of both

Votes: 374 87.0%

• Total voters

David.s

Forager
Jan 27, 2007
Glasgow
www.myspace.com_evil_scrappy
hello folks, was just sitting thinking about bushcraft etc and got me wondering about peoples preferences about kit and styles etc,

by this i mean eg clothing do you prefer modern jackets boots and the likes or do you prefer tradition cloting items.
also when you go camping do you start a fire traditionally or do you get a fire goin with a lighter and then pratice skills once your comfy.

personally i use modern clothing. but iv not really been on a proper camping trip but i think ill be using a flint stricker then try bowdrill etc.

so what your thoughts ?

Snufkin

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 13, 2004
Norfolk
I voted traditional but I'm not opposed to modern stuff just because it is modern. It's just, for me, it usually doesn't come up to spec. This is because most of it is designed for hillwalking/hiking not bushcraft.

geo_chris

Jan 31, 2007
Castleford, W Yorkshire
Tried to cast my vote but it told me I had already voted.

I do like to rough it on short outings, go out with a tarp, knife and firesteel -- then I make it up as I go along. Not everyone's cup of tea, but I soon learn from my mistakes.

MitchelHicks

Forager
Aug 29, 2006
London
I voted traditional i've had all that new age kit and it does work but you get a whole different feeling when you use traditional kit it makes you feel more natural and simple. I dont think people shouldn't use modern advances though there is alot of benefit in some of them however I prefer the older tried and tested methods.

Like the others I would advise the in between stage a good idea is to go to a meet If you say you want to learn the bow drill and the flint and steel you would be supprised at how hard these are to teach yourself and where to source the materials from. I would advise always taking a back up way of lighting fire at least the rest like shelter food water can all be made possible by a fire. I would use a good fire steel and the back of your knife. Still takes a bit of practice though but dont give up all these methods are satisfying once you've done them. If you do try and learn the other methods it will be worth lighting a fire using the fire steel and then practising with the bow drill untill you are good enough at it.

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I voted for a mix, as I prefer my goretex & a good sleeping bag over skins & wool blankets. However, I prefer making fire, when possible, using flint & steel, now that I've got the hang of it. Alot of areas around me dont allow campfires anyway, so I HAVE to resort to a stove. That being said, I go as simple as possible, using alcohol. Now that I am a hammock convert, I dont plan on giving that up anytime soon either!

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
A mixture here as well, similar to oldsoldier. I do most of my outdoor activities as a backpacker and have no desire to burden myself with solutions that are heavy and bulky, as traditional equipment tends to be. Having said that, I also light my fires with flint and steel unless expedience is key (ever flirted with hypothermia and needed fire in a steady rain? It's not very fun). I boil my water for my dehydrated meals (which I prepare myself, thank you very much) and tea on a white gas stove, we light a fire for the heat and the social aspect.

Of course, people used to do it with buffalo robes and all the pemmican you could stomach back when Thompson, Palliser and Hector were roaming the wilderness. That was not so much fun, I think. And I like to have fun. :D

boisdevie

Forager
Feb 15, 2007
Not far from Calais in France
There was a very interesting programme on Radio 4 a few months back. They were talking about mountaineering equipment and comparing the stuff worn by those two climbers who disappeared trying to get to the summit of Everest in the 30s with modern climbers. A modern climber was impressed by the silk and cotton layers worn by the climbers of the 30s.

firebreather

Settler
Jan 26, 2007
Manchester
I use both and always have. just because its old doesnt mean its good, yes it works which is why it was used for so long but as with everything times and gear change. Saying that I try to get a mix of what works for me, not whats new or traditional. i have camped and walked all my life and love it. i have some kit from my teens that i would not change for all the tea in china, but im always looking to improve stuff so when something comes out and its affordable then i will try it.
Mix old with new and take the best from both worlds.

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
boisdevie said:
There was a very interesting programme on Radio 4 a few months back. They were talking about mountaineering equipment and comparing the stuff worn by those two climbers who disappeared trying to get to the summit of Everest in the 30s with modern climbers. A modern climber was impressed by the silk and cotton layers worn by the climbers of the 30s.

As far as I've found , there were no summits of Everest before Hillary in 1953 and at least a hundred every year since 1998. I don't know it, but I'd be willing to bet the people attempting Everest in the old days weren't there on the guided tour, but rather extremely experienced mountaineers. Now, any Joe with the cash can have a go and, if fit and driven enough, have a reasonable shot of making it there and back. It's technology (and sherpas!) that carry the day in this case.

Agile

Forager
Dec 27, 2006
Bournemouth, Dorset
Personally I would go for a mixture and sit on the fence a little.

To anyone who says "old is the best" I give one item which should silence you all - waterproof (Goretex etc) boots. :)

Honestly though, I like having a mixture of both the old and the new. When it comes to making fire or performing tasks, I try and go for the traditional approach, as this requires more skill but less man-made resources.

If I have to rely on something, then a modern fabric in extreme conditions takes a lot of beating - hence the popularity of modern fabric jackets.

Agile

Zodiak

Settler
Mar 6, 2006
Kent UK
I voted mix but its 90% modern.

Gortex boots (although I love my 30 year old leather ones, they are just too heavy)
Nylon jacket and fleece (I find wool too itchy)
Nylon pack and frame (I could may a roycroft frame if necessary)
LED headlamp (as opposed to?)
Polyester fill sleeping bag (my last down bag only lasted 20 years!)
Metal trangia (although I will have a fire if I can)
Hammock and tarp (still have my cotton tent, but ts bulky)
Turbo lighter (still havn't master bow drill)
vs
Wooden foodbox for standing camps!!! stops food sweating.

Plus 58 pattern water bottles, Frosts Mara, Laplander saw etc..

Its probably just what I am used to and I am open to alternatives but this year is going to have to be zero spend (REALLY zero spend) after last year :(

Jan 22, 2006
uk
it all depends on what you'll be doing when you go out to my monkey brain.

ventile is one of those things that does it all in my opinion, but not sure i'd count that as old or new?

some new stuff is so good (hex 3 :) ) but there's nothing better than sleeping under the stars!

i wouldnt make myself uncomfy purely to go old skool, but there's a really good feeling from bowdrills etc, that cant be gotten from new kit.
i guess you're defining the line between bushcraft and camping...tricky!

R

Rebelrat

I use a lot of modern equipment but I like to ceep my skills oldscool. The onley thing I have that's oldscool equipment is a flint and steel and even then I use charcloth so that's not even traditonal. I love the simple life and the combination makes it simple and fun. ;)

If you realy want to make a statistic I think you should make a difirence bitween skill and gear. Using a firebow with nylon cord and a pocket saw or knife makes it hard to vote. :rolleyes:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE