whats your preferance ?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

do you prefer ....

• Modern Skills, equiptment

Votes: 20 4.7%
  • tradional clothing, skills

Votes: 36 8.4%
  • A mix of both

Votes: 374 87.0%

• Total voters

big_swede

Native
Sep 22, 2006
W Yorkshire
modern stuff is just as easy as traditional to repair. duct tape works wonders on membrane laminated nylon. it's all about sentimental reasons really, no matter how you try to dress them up. I suspect no-one here regularly makes such long trips that UV degradation would be a factor, in which case canvas and leather would have a slight edge on nylon.

it's a nonsense question. of course you can combine traditional skills with modern kit. the population is a bit biased here as well, considering the topic of the whole board.

Laurentius

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Aug 13, 2009
Knowhere
Are bin liners considered as modern or traditional :)

Yesterday innovation is today's tradition.

As I get older I favour light weight more, well you would wouldn't you.

Oarsnpaddle

Forager
May 24, 2010
Greater Copenhagen
Yup, I'm with the "a mixture of both" group.

My boat is kevlar/glassfibre, but is a classic looking boat. Had I had the money, it would be an epoxy/strip affair. I like the wood, the caned seats, the bronze oar gaffs, but I have feathering oars, and although I do have a sliding seat as it allows me to put more power into it especially when fully loaded, I just bought a nice piece of fur today, which I will make into a seat cover for the slider (for warmth)

I think that the boat is a good example of how I go about things. I prefer some materials to be natural and old school, just as I like wool and silk. But I don't have a need to also get all the shortcomings of the old school stuff. I mean, I like a zipper in a sweater. When in my boat I prefer bifurcated leggings (i.e. no kilts, but trousers), I like my leather suspenders and old school shirts, but that's because I find it practical.

Wayland posted in some other thread (I think it was the one with the Petromax argument), and I went to his ravenlore site. This tactile approach he seem to have, I got to admit I tend to agree with it pretty far. I do work with tech in the real world as I produce audio and sometimes (still) do a bit of journalism, so I'm not against tech or anything, but I'm not in awe over gadgets either. I am much more in awe over good craftsmanship, be it as a cabinetmaker, boatbuilder, leather crafter, or even stuff that aren't a craft as such, but to see stuff people have converted or made into something that fits them perfectly is always a great thing.

Sorry, that became quite a bit longer than I anticipated, bordering on ranting. I blame the late hour.

I need to get some sleep.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I voted for modern gear, but that's not to say I don't like my old cedar strip canoe. It paddles smoother and quieter and looks so
much nicer, but on a week long trip involving say 25 km of portage trails, the 20 pounds less that the Kevlar canoe weighs starts to
look pretty appealing. I like synthetic clothing that dries quickly, except for socks, where I find nothing beats wool. I also like
stuff like Boundary pack dry-bags as opposed to canvas packs, and little conveniences like disposable lighters and LED headlamps;
basically I love reading about all the interesting old time skills, just too lazy to actually practice them myself!
I spend lots of nights every year out doing backcountry camping. I would do a lot less of it if I had to deal with shelter building or
sleeping under the canoe, voyageur-style. I love my high tech North Face tent...(complete with peel n stick repair kit)...

Sniper

Native
Aug 3, 2008
Saltcoats, Ayrshire
I voted for a mix as well, as I use modern kit such as hi spec sleeping bag especially for this time of year along with modern skin layer technology but depending on mood and inclination fire starting with firelighters and lighter when I just want the fire quickly (aaaargh the horror burn the witch!!!) but equally when time is not crucial I will perhaps use the flint & steel or a ferro rod. Sometimes I take fresh rations or tins and other times I take ratpacs depending on whats in my camping larder at the time I go.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE