Whats your occupation and why do you like bushcraft?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Feb 17, 2012
Surbiton, Surrey
Am currently a facilities manger looking after about 30 office buildings in central London for the Crown estate (I also wild camp on some of their land which could be an interesting conversation one day), prior to that I did several years in security after leaving the army.

Have been outdoors in fields or woods for as long as I can remember though sadly working in the city (and life in general) limits the time I get to spend out and about nowadays to a day now and then at the weekend or an even more infrequent 3-4 nighter.
Used to be a long weekend once per month but my usual companions have got very lax of late and swmbo have a thing about we going off overnight on my Todd, something about mad axe murderers though I have tried to tell her I'm likely to be the only one with an axe out there! ;)

garethw

Settler
Well where to start??

Twenty years as a press photographer, in London originally,where is was hired by Reuters, then for most of my career for Reuters in Paris. 1987-2000

I then stepped down from journalism, and bought a group of lakes in Eastern France that I turned into a Carp Fishery. We now receive groups for English, Dutch, Belgian, Germany and French anglers to our Domaine to fish for carp & catfish.

However, old habits die hard and I spent several years in the 2000's as a cameraman filming special interest and promo videos for various fishing companies. I also worked freelance at this time for my old company Reuters and a picture editor, photographer, TV producer and cameraman.

Voilà... Still in rural France, bushcrafting, hammocking, camping, and fishing!!!

cheers
Gareth

Retired Member southey

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jun 4, 2006
your house!
I'm a house wife,

Grew up on Salisbury plain, and through my family has spent the vast majority of my life out side, they have all been very supportive of my jobs :)

TomBartlett

Spoon worrier
Jun 13, 2009
Madison, WI
www.sylvaspoon.com
I'm an education officer for the charity Waste Watch (part of Keep Britain Tidy) I do school visits and create educational resources to encourage young people to 'waste less and live more'.

I really love nature and the idea of self sufficiency. The earliest memory I have of getting into this kind of thing was building dens and making bows and arrows as a child.

Shiver

Apr 23, 2012
Belfast
I'm a silversmith, I love the outdoors and being self reliant, I find that I can turn my career skills to making some useful kit aswell ... Just embarked on making my own hammocks for light weight forest travel and am pleased with the results ... Happy trails all !! and it's great to get ideas and tips from like minded peeps!

mountainm

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 12, 2011
Selby
www.mikemountain.co.uk
I produce virtual worlds and online games for kids.

I'be been interested in Bushcraft since watching the bush tucker man on Telly as a kid. Combined with growing up on the peak district, cubs, scouts, plenty of camping, archery and fishing. My interest was reinvigorated when resnikov persuaded me to get a hammock and join the forum. Since then I've restarted my archery and begun leather smithing. Hoping to drag my boys along on the journey too, and my wife if she's willing.

Thetillerman71

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 9, 2012
Gloucester
I'm an aerospace engineer, used to be in to bushcraft 20 or so years back when it was commonly referred to as survivalism, some of the kit has changed but most the principles remain the same. Just reliving my youth I suppose

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
I'm a lecturer in Practical Conservation and Countryside Management and spend my time training the next generation of rangers and ecologists. I love the practical side of my job, enthusing students about the naural environment and get to spend a lot of time outdoors, the downside is the paperwork that goes with working as part of a huge FE College (OFSTED inspection next week and am drowning in paperwork!)

I'm originally an urban boy from Manchester but did the whole cub/scout/venture route and loved the camping and outdoor pursuits and have always been a hiker. My work has allowed me to develop my green woodwork skills which I'm now looking at as my future work route. Bushcraft came onto the radar for me about a year ago as another way of enjoying being in the woods and sheltering in a more natural way than the campsite. Still learning, still loving it :)

bayleaf

Tenderfoot
Oct 31, 2008
gloucestershire
I'm a head gardener at a big house.I have worked for the Forestry Commission, as a chainsawyer,the Defence Estate (MOD) as a woodman,and for the private sector.
I've been outside most of my working life.

In line with many others here,it was Scouting that drew me,and kindled a life long love of the outdoors.
We call it bushcraft don't we?...When I didn't know better, we called it Scouting.Either way,B.P would be proud of what he began.

I am a support worker for elderly adults with learning disabilities, physical disabilities and mental health issues. been working in care for around a decade now.
started out camping with cubs, got distracted when girls and booze became more interesting. spent some time wandering and got frustrated having to go home at night rather than continue wandering, slept a few times on/under my goretex jacket and decided to do it properly
haven't looked back really.
i am firmly of the belief that bushcraft is really just scouting for men rather than boys (not that i think it is gender specific before anyone hurts me but scouting for girls is a poo band and scouting for women might get me hurt by the other half)

Trev

Nomad
Mar 4, 2010
Northwich Cheshire
I'm a househusband, ( did lots of other stuff first but nothing is as hard )
But apart from that I'm a firm believer in passing on more than I received , and I was taught a lot ( more morals than skills, but it's all part of a better life ). And being outside is just great isn't it.
Trev.

Jaan

Forager
Apr 22, 2011
Tallinn, Estonia
I'm between jobs at the moment. Finishing up my things at a software development company where I was responsible for digital marketing projects. Will start a new job on the 25th as a project manager in a digital marketing company. Looking forward to it really, because I love my job.

I like things in life to be balanced. So because I work indoors with computers and talk to people all day I like to go outside and be alone in my spare time. That's why I took interest in bushcraft.

Dannytsg

Native
Oct 18, 2008
England
Well it's nice to see how diverse the base of members is on here and it's good to see the reasons why everyone enjoys the outdoors.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm a knifemaker now, which i got into through bushcraft. prior to that i'd spent 8 years in the military, worked as a gamekeeper, and then got into engineering.

I've always been an outdoors person, from an early age i was into camping out, hiking in the country etc I joined the air cadets at 13 and went all over with them, and that cemented my love for the outdoors. been doing it ever since. :)

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Im a professional student.

I like learning things and so I like bushcraft, its a continual learning experience.

gbjim03m

Tenderfoot
Oct 19, 2006
Nevada, for a while
Currently sat in an undisclosed sandy location, so you can probably guess, yep the Royal Navy. Flying on operations in Afghanistan. Yep couldnt get more complicated. Anyway spent time with royal marines done plenty of survival courses. I just fancied doing bushcraft without someone chasing me or breathing down my neck and it gives me a chance to get away from it all relax. Eventually got my brother to tag along and now he is on here as bow maker while i let my skills slip to one side. But always keen to get out especially mountains and climbing as well.
Jim

Vulpes

Nomad
Nov 30, 2011
Cahulawassee River, Kent
Moving into IT now with the hopes it'll allow me to immigrate. I wanted to move towards a more outdoor oriented job some years ago, but when the recession kicked in and demand dropped for such jobs, I gave up on it and moved on. Not to mention that these jobs are generally for the lucky or those who know the right sorts. Previously I've been a community carer, cleaner, housekeeper, shopworker and plumber. A real mix. Plans have changed and matured massively in the past 3-4 years though.

Ivan...

Ex member
Jul 28, 2011
Dartmoor
Very interesting thread, and good fun getting more of a picture of what some of the members do in the real world , and how they fell into the world of bushcraft/wildcamping.

But i will refrain , from boring the lot of you and filling the thread up with pages of crap!!

Good idea for a thread though ..

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE